HybridZ

1000 lbs/Tourque, what rear-end (for road racing).

Guest tt350

Hey TT350, a more serious tranny than a T-56 is needed to harness 1000 pounds of torque. The T-56 is a street tranny rated at 450 pounds of torque (it also depends what gear you are in as the torque rating varies between gears too). Anyway, investigate something like a Saenz transmission, or the like, for this kind of use.

As for a dif to take that, I'm at a loss . . . time to go hang out with the serious racer dudes because once you get to those levels, I'm a poser and have no real knowledge. I would think a beefed up Corvette dif might work, but that's just a wild-assed guess.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tt350

I just talked to a rotary lover today, and I think i might switch over.

He says that the triple-rotary 20b can make up to 1000 hp. Is this true (anyone know or seen something like this?). If this is tru, I am definetly swtichin, cuz a rotary is a lot lighter, has less parts (a whole less money), and can rev higher. But ill miss the v8 rumble. sigh. oh well.

So ya, if anyone knows about rotaries, please give up what you got.

Thanks

Guest Your Car is Slow

a 3rotor is alot less money? lol

There is one ricer shop here in town that has one...spent close to 6 figures on the motor..and it still doesnt make anywhere near 1000hp.

Yeah I don't know who told you that rotary motors were cheap but they are not right. For one they are very costly just to maintane just because all of the parts are not in high demand. A "1000HP" rotary would cost MUCHO BUUCO! :lol::D

Why do you think you need 1000HP to road race? If you are going to build a 1000HP Z car, why dont you just buy a SKYLINE GTR AWD (what ever Skyline you guys were talking about before in the post) That can be built to 1000HP and should be able to handle it a lot better than a Z. Besides it's all ready AWD.

I think 1000HP is a bit over the top for road racing or a "street car"

Guy

Guest Your Car is Slow
I think 1000HP is a bit over the top for................. or a "street car"

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!

its never over the top :D

Doesn't have to be a Z and now doesn't have to be a V8...as long as it has 1000HP...that's the only contstant I'm seeing here. Sounds like you're just looking for the "1,000 HP Turbo Car!!!!" glam shot on the cover of Turbo Magazine. Don't get me wrong, I want a turbo or two as well!

But you haven't stated what knowledge you have, etc. Not trying to bash you, but you switched from a V8 to a rotary just like that. Don't listen to all the myths, instead get educated on why aluminum blocks aren't good for turbos or why rotaries are cheaper etc.

I wonder how long those apex seals would last under 1000hp?

Owen

Did any of you guys see that Popular Hot Rod issue with the Twin Turbo Vette? It was a C4 with a TT 400ci sbc. It was a serious piece of art, 1300+ HP. The owner said his times were something like mid 11s at 150mph (talk about traction problems :burnout: , eh?), or somewhere in that ball park. tt350, check out this link as well for 1000hp street car http://www.stevenkamis.com/Cars/MyVette/default1.asp. Nice guy as well, email him about the beef rear end for his twin supercharged big-block.

Read through his build up for an idea of the type of money and skill a project like this needs.You could also look into Syclone or typhoon drivetrains, dunno about 1000hp with them, but I do know that those guys are crazy fast.

I dibs the first ride if you get this z done :D

I know I've said this before, but I've driven a 1000hp RX7. Had a Lingenfelter Chev V6 with two fans producing 25lbs of boost. Narrowed ford 9" with detroit locker, ZF six speed, tubbed with 335mm wide tires. That thing was a monster and would paint stripes on the freeway at 70mph with very little effort.

Brings a big grin to my face just thinking about it!!!! :D:-D:lol:

Tim

Dont pay any attention to these sceptics dude, they all said the same thing about my 72 240Z/Russian SU-27 Air Superiority Fighter conversion as well. I heard things like: "Those turbofan engines will never fit in a Z", "How do you plan on making enough room for the avionics?", "Daily driver/ weekend road racer/ mach 2 interceptor! Are you insane?" Etc. My project is going on according to plan with zero glitches, except that I still need to find an SU-27 for parts. I'm looking at about 70,000 pounds of thrust, totally ommiting the rear end and transmission. Should be able to pull a 1/4 mile in about 2 seconds on afterburner. Aphid missiles should come in handy for clearing traffic jams as well....Dont let the man get you down.

Mike

Z-TARD speaks the truth...when machine gun Joe Viturbo decided to mount a large blade on the front of his car IN ADDITION to the two tommy guns already set up, people laughed him out of the room. Did that slow him down? NO! He was there, for the deathrace in 2000, regardless of the heckler's retort. Shrug off the nervous nellies, where would the Wright brothers be if they buckled to such pressure? There are untold dimensions you may access should you harness such power...wrote a song about it, like to here it? Here it goes:

Be there, drive hard

it's a 1,000 hp road-race machine,

I hit the gears, tires spin

burnt pocketbook syndrum creeps steadily in,

that's alright, suckas left cold

will my t56 and R230 hold?

God only knows, the throttle means more to me,

spine-tingling torque, V8 or rotary

give it up, punk-ass-B's

I hold big wastegates, a dream to most Z's

until 170, when my Z wants to meet the sky

flippin end-over-end, and you know why

or maybe much less

Did you hear that snap?

Two month's rent, crap.

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Wow. This thread suddenly got ALOT more appealing.

At a few points I considered an attempt at a roast such as Z-Tard's - but there's no way mine would've been nearly as good. That was funny.

But HeavyZ's poem/song - unbeatable. Holy crap that was entertaining. Not only was it really funny, but damn - it rhymes!

You guys rock.

I think this can be done and with enough development time the car can be made to work very well on a road course. Unfortunately it will probably take over $100K and at least two years to get the car on the track for test day number one. Hell, my 240Z took three years and almost $60K and you'll have to put a lot more into the chassis, driveline, suspension, and brakes then I did to make 1,000 hp work.

I certainly don't want to discourage someone from this effort, but I would hate even more if they got a year into and then realized the financial and time commitment needed to get a beast like this on a race track. That would leave us with (yet antoher) failed HybridZ effort.