HybridZ

cylinder head molding prossess

Hey ToplessZ whats your phone number so I can talk to you and keep you updated on the progress of this project. Maybe you could stop down some time and check it out for your self once I get it all hooked up. Secondly Datsun_Dude I would like to know what years nissan made the engines for Mercades so I can look at them, also do you know engine ID numbers so I can look them up faster.

Now for the real reason for the posting guys I got the VG30 oil pump today. and let me tell you I petty anyone that owns a Nissan V6 motor and suggest you get rid of it. After about 3+ hours at the junkyard I finally got the oil pump off. Also I used a micrometer to check the diamiter of the crank well if looks as if everything is a go. I just got home and held the oil pump up to the block and the oil pressure is about half inch off from mating with our blocks. I alread knew that I would have to make a spacer/front engine cover now I just know a little more of what I'm going to have to machine into it. I can just rerun the oil through a passage in the spacer/front engine cover to meet our blocks. As of now this project is a complete go. I'll keep you all updated on this and take pictures to show my progress.

tbs

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok thanks topless, I live in Northwest OHIO. OK I went and bought a sheet of aluminum. Then I broght it home and started to get looking and was getting a head ache. Then I went back at it refreshed I think I have it figured out concidering I can the the pulleys and tensioner to fit inside. I maped it out on the sheet of aluminum and was very pleased with what I've come up with. Next thing to do is find an RB head for a decent price. Can anyone help I need one fast to finish up this head. This looks like it's going to go a lot quicker then I first thought. Please can anyone help me?

tbs

Guest Anonymous

I can't remember the name of the company--they designed the engine for Mercedes in the mid sixties, about the time the company was bought by Nissan. As I understand it, Nissan basicaly copied the engine built for Mercedes, making a few minor changes. I believe the motor went in the SL's(4 series, I think) throughout the seventies, same as Datsun. This is the engine people like to pull the injectors from when building a turbo.

I have to warn you though, all this info is second or third hand and may not be accurate--worth a look into though.

I can't confirm what you said, datsun dude, but I've heard that before and if you look at the Mercedes inline aluminum-head engines of that time vs the Datsun, there is a striking resemblence between the two and I suspect you're right about the shared designer. BTW, I've also heard that the Mercedes uses a connecting link in the timing chain that can be used on an L6. DAW

Guest Anonymous

Yeah--That's it--Prince... Couldn't remember the name.

And yeah, alot of parts are interchangable between the Benz and Datsun engines.

Only thing is, I don't know if Mercedes ever built a twincam variant of the engine, so the whole discussion about that motor may be pointless.

I did a hunt around a while back for more info on the benz engines. It did get a twin cam head but it was two valve. I dont think there was a four valve version. There may have been a 4v motor used in racing in the european touring car races in te 70's. I didnt really find a lot of info about this engine on the web. It cam to the U.S. in the 280 series cars in the 70's. Hopefull someone here knows more that I do and can help out. I have never had any interest in Merc so know nothing.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

ok I found a head finally, I'm just not ok with the price 700AUD for the head and shipping. thats about 500USD for it. I have to use my next pay check to install my windshield and then for bumper paint then I can save for the head. :) After about a month I should have enough to purchase one and finish up the plan to take it all to the machine shop and then put it together.

tbs