HybridZ

pricing for stand alone engine management

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to use the Megasquirt for sure. The problem is that it is that time of year when i have to do all of my wife's projects. So for the next four weeks I don't have any time to work on the z cars. I have to build an arena for her horses, a deck on the back of the house, an 8x12 tool shed, and put in some fencing so our dogs can be turned loose. After that stuff is finished then I will have the rest of the summer to work on the z cars and I will put the Megasquirt in. So give me about two months and I'll let you know how it works out.

The MS will go into my 73 turbo 240. The car is running really good now so I have a baseline before switching over. Of course I will get bit by the "while I'm at it" bug and probably put in bigger injectors, intercooler, new fuel rail, etc...

Guest z1 performance

TECIII...blows all but the M800 away in performance and stability, and a monkey (who understands the basic of engine management) can program it. We sell and install standalone's here, and have used every kind out there I can think of, from the Haltechs, to DFI, Motec M4 (doing one now in a customers Subaru), Pectel, Microtech, etc. etc. The TEC remains my favorite to this day.

Costs around $2500 all in.

Hrm... TECIII finally got rid of that screw down header for wiring, right? How reliable have they been? The older ones supposedly were more hit or miss. Have you looked at the AEM? I'm pretty impressed with the box and especially the level of support. A whole freaking BBS dedicated to the box, it's nice. I just wish the techs had a little more time to answer questions but they have been good with the phone when I've called. I'm a convert :) Electromotive is actually just up the street from me but so far I've not run one of their boxes, the TECIII is the best they've produced so far IMO but I don't know too much about it.

Is TECIII doing VSS based Boost, trac control, 2-step (using VSS?), automapping with a W/B, trans control, and EGT logging? Does it use all the stock sensors on most cars? MAF and MAP? How much can you log, how fast can you log it, and can you do internal logging? Actually, I'd love to see a features list if it's handy to try and do a comparison. The AEM is a baby Motec (in price) but it needs a few more ignition outputs. I'd like to be able to run direct fire but with just 5 coil outputs I can't. <shrug> I do have 10 injector outputs and the ones I don't use for injectors can be used for other things.

IMO the hard part is getting the monkeys who buy these things to understand EFI. Many seem to think that an EMS is a "chip" and that someone will provide them a "base map" and no tuning will be neccessary :( I've now run into TWO people, locally, who have plugged in an AEM, not done ANY sensor setup, and then wondered why the car didn't idle or drive right. Sheesh!

I'd hope that folks here who have run into the limitations of the OEM Datsun ECU aren't in that class having pushed the stock box first. EFI isn't THAT hard to figure out but getting a car running right can be a challenge. AEM doesn't YET have a "universal race ECU" ready but when it is it ought to be sweet and maybe something to consider for the Datsuns - converting one of the PnP boxes might be a PITA. Unfortunatly it'll be a little more expensive but potted to go under the hood and have a Bosch W/B controller inside. Did the TECIII come out with a W/B controller? AEM just announced pricing on their W/B BTW - $400 something with sensor I think it was :shock: They're NOT using the NTK sensor.

Some of these systems do offer estimation/base calc VE table software, which is sure neat, but your right alot of people seem to think that you plug in cam specs into the computer!!! I find it funny, but tuning EFI is something that needs to be experienced I guess.

The AEM is a PNP replacement computer. For the platforms they've developed for they HAVE actually built base maps but every car is different and many mods effect things. The AEM doesn't use a VE table although some have figured out how to do it using the fuel table and another table. I've actually been surprised at how VE seems to remain constant despite turbo changes and other things, I don't use the VE method of tuning BTW. Honestly I feel like I've still got alot to learn about tuning but it sure is fun learning this stuff :)

BTW - swapped to a better ignition setup using LS1 coils on my car tonight. I used to get some surging at idle at around 15.5:1, I'm now able to idle stable at 17:1 and it's nearly 18:1 before I get any surging! The LS1 coils have an internal ignitor and are easy to trigger with the AEM vs my stock coils. The "smart" ignitor used to get in the way on my car, now I control the dwell :D Hot spark baby and pretty cheap too actually. I may also know of another good coil for COP apps - still learning about it though and it owuld need an MSD DIS-4 to trigger it which adds to the cost.

Guest jt240z

BLKMGK,

Reports on most AEM forums still indicate that the software/firmware bugs are alive and well with the AEM computers. Looks like they released a product well before it was sorted out. The long awaited universal Race model is still not available. I hate companies that use the end user as the beta tester. :nono: AEM doesn't even use there ECU in their drag car. They are still using a Motec.

You still can't rule out the Haltech as one of the better alternative ECU's for the money. At right around $1000 USD for a complete system, you just can't beat the E6K. You get complete fuel and ignition control and a well sorted out proven platform and enough inputs, PWM outputs and analog controls to please most. Most reputable tuners have had experience with the unit, so you don't have to pay for their learning curve to tune your car. Mine went from base map to full drive ability in about 3.5 hours of dyno time. The car's never hiccuped since. Stab the go pedal at anytime and the car just moves without a complaint.

The E11, when it's re-released, should blow away most of the higher end ECU's as well. It's a same they had to pull it off production because of certain parts being obsoleted by the MFG. When it does come back out it should rock for around $1500.00 USD. Can you say 6 channel sequential injection and coil on plug ignition! :2thumbs:

Yeah, still some bugs. Howeer the 1.0 software is supposed ot be out any day and should be "fully baked" - the hold up is havoing a conversion utility for older mappings. Half the "bugs" being reported are people who don't know what they're doing, unfortunatly some bugs DO exist. In somehting as complicated as this there will be bugs that the engineers haven't found - even Motec's boxes have a few bugs. BTW - there's only one AEM forums I'm aware of - have you found another? The race box is going to be delayed awhile it seems - sux.

How does 10 channel sequential injection and COP sound? That's waste-fire though but the I/O for 10cylinders IS there. I'm now running LS1 coils on my car - wow what a difference! If you can try them do so, it's a powerful coil with an internal ignitor. What kind of I/O will the new box have you're talking about? I/O is WAY important and the more spare stuff the better! $1500 is a great price - glad to see this stuff coming down. Motec had better watch out :)

P.S. "Their" drag car is one they sponser not own. As a result of the owner not being used to their software he decided to not go with the AEM last year, an intermittant in the wiring jumper harness they found after the fact didn't help. This year they will be running the car with the AEM and they've found more power :D Fact of life - if the airfuelspark is right it doesn't matter which box you run, they will ALL make the same power.

Guest jt240z

Here's a link to a copy of the spec sheet. That should show you some of the capabilities and future potential.

http://www.haltech.com/Products/ECUs/E11/E11.pdf

When they released the first batch of units, they had some issues with the manuals and wiring diagrams not matching along with a vendor that produced some incorrectly wired harnesses. Those along with an obscure firmware issue related to 3 rotor Mazda applications have since been corrected. They pulled the product until these issues and parts issues related to obsolencene have been corrected. It's now only a matter of time before they have the redesigned injector units out again. This could just be the low cost hot ticket that some of us have been waiting for. With direct fire and sequential injection the HP potential is amazing. Can you imagine a smooth idle on a 1000cc injector Z. :rockon:

Any ECU can control an engine at WOT. It's when things get short duration around idle that it gets tricky. Drivability and transient response is the real hard part. With full sequential ignition, the L series engine could reach it's full potential (and limits). Think about an RB26dett under it's control. :hail:

Cool, will check it out!

FWIW - I idle 75lb injectors with a higher than rated base pressure no problem on a 3liter. I know guys running 1Kcc injectors on this motor too - no idle issues. With a good computer these monster injectors idle great! A 2.8 would be a little harder but I think it could be done. I'll be interested to see what power levels people are able to pull out of these motors reliably. I still like the 2JZ or 1JZ swap idea though ;)

Guest tt350

Hey, do you guys think that Haltech E11 will work with my "crazy ideas". You know, the TT v8 (LT1 most likely)? Im not plannin on runnin nitrous, but i might be goin to the 1000cc injectors :D

BTW- WTH does PITA mean?

100lb injectors would be (approx) 1KCC - 175lb injectors would be BIGGER. Can you say alcohol?

PITA = Pain In The A$$

Sure, TT V8 could be run by most any of these boxes. AEM will have a PNP model sometime in the near future that ought to work with something like a Painless harness. Any of the others could be wired up too. Nothing really special about a TT V8 over a N/A V8 from an EFI standpoint. Bigger injectors, maybe boost control, and a different MAP sensor. No biggie <shrug> :D

I went and ordered the MegaSquirt parts today, 2 items were on back order till june and july, but for the price I figured it be worth taking a look at. Since I have access to a whole department of engineers so soldering work and assembly should not be an issue.