HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

attachicon.gifWiperWiring3.JPGHere is my wiring diagram of the '91 Honda Civic Wiper Motor to a '76 280Z. The original drawing is from the '76 FSM. Notice that I did not use the Blu/Wht (LW) terminal on the 280Z plug. This setup allows all functions to work properly on my car.

Well done! Figuring out the stock circuit is not the easiest thing in the world what with the poorly labeled FSM and polarity reversal. I posted the other relevant diagrams and explain why this is the best method to use for any of the later cars with the intermittent box. You don't need the extra relay like some say as it's already inside the intermittent box.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/124734-understanding-the-260z-and-280z-wiper-circuit-reverse-polarity-park/?do=findComment&comment=1166141

• 4 months later...

Blowing the cobwebs off this great thread to ask a favor.

I am one of the old-timers, but been out of the Z-car world for quite a while. I am wrapping up a 2JZ-GTE swap in a 280Z for a buddy and need help getting the Honda wiper to park. Lots of great info here on how to do it but everything references wire colors. I am asking if someone could post up the relay wiring for the park, referencing wire function instead color. This project started off with a gutted shell that had no dash, no harnesses and no switches. The combo switch was salvaged without connectors and unsure of the year. The connector pigtails are whatever would fit and the wire colors do not match the combo switch. The wring harness is a generic hot rod aftermarket. The Honda wiper motor was purchased online and the connector pigtail from the JY. I have the wiper working but cannot trust the wire colors, especially coming from the combo switch.

Appreciate any help. You can post it here or PM me.

ps, in case my rambling did not make it clear, I am looking for something like Z 12V to relay30, Honda 12V to relay87, etc.

installed a new rebel wiring system in my 1970 last winter and never bothered to wire the wiper motor,thinking I would do the Honda swap.mine were dragging slowly across the windshield,some times stopping.couple of weeks ago i took the motor out,ran a wire from a relay to the slow speed wire directly on the motor,by-passing the factory relay on the motor.pretty sure that factory wiper relay and wiring is the problem on some of the older z cars.i use a switch with an on/off function combined with a momentary function.actually a rear wiper switch from my 1983 zx parts car.the wipers work like a new car now,very fast and smooth, saving me the work of a Honda change over.i try not to drive it in the rain ,so,one speed and momentary switch to park it works for me.i found the original wiring harness was very troublesome in the car and changing it over was the most important thing I done to that old car.old wiring and switches can cause problems.cole hersee # 59071 switch has those functions and probably have one to run both speeds.a rain treatment system on the windshield helps lube the wipers too.

z mouse,

Please try to type this using semi proper sentence structure...   :2thumbs:

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Please follow our simple forum request by applying at least minimum sentence structure, using comma's, periods etc. Thank you!

Blowing the cobwebs off this great thread to ask a favor.

I am one of the old-timers, but been out of the Z-car world for quite a while. I am wrapping up a 2JZ-GTE swap in a 280Z for a buddy and need help getting the Honda wiper to park. Lots of great info here on how to do it but everything references wire colors. I am asking if someone could post up the relay wiring for the park, referencing wire function instead color. This project started off with a gutted shell that had no dash, no harnesses and no switches. The combo switch was salvaged without connectors and unsure of the year. The connector pigtails are whatever would fit and the wire colors do not match the combo switch. The wring harness is a generic hot rod aftermarket. The Honda wiper motor was purchased online and the connector pigtail from the JY. I have the wiper working but cannot trust the wire colors, especially coming from the combo switch.

Appreciate any help. You can post it here or PM me.

ps, in case my rambling did not make it clear, I am looking for something like Z 12V to relay30, Honda 12V to relay87, etc.

So i take it the stock intermittent relay box has been deleted?

I can help, but need to know what Wires you have coming from your harness? You will likely need a Ground activated High speed, Ground activated low speed, 12v Ign source, and Ground. That will get you the wipers working. To get park to work, you'll need so relay trickery. Are you attaching wires directly to the wiper switch, or the intermittent box?

Edited by mtnickel

attachicon.gifWiperWiring3.JPGHere is my wiring diagram of the '91 Honda Civic Wiper Motor to a '76 280Z. The original drawing is from the '76 FSM. Notice that I did not use the Blu/Wht (LW) terminal on the 280Z plug. This setup allows all functions to work properly on my car.

this worked for me too, and with the stock intermittent relay. Thanks for working out the kinks to this modification!

So i take it the stock intermittent relay box has been deleted?

I can help, but need to know what Wires you have coming from your harness? You will likely need a Ground activated High speed, Ground activated low speed, 12v Ign source, and Ground. That will get you the wipers working. To get park to work, you'll need so relay trickery. Are you attaching wires directly to the wiper switch, or the intermittent box?

Thanks for the response and sorry for my delayed response. Haven't been checking in as I should. Probably gotten too used to thread subscription notifications.

The car was a shell with not an inch of the original harness or any such things as the intermittent box. So, we have to discount the use of wire colors. I have the wiper working without the intermittent box, so I have an established 12V and ground, and ground-activated Low and High speeds. What I need is the "relay trickery". Also, the connector-pigtail I have for the Honda wiper does have wire colors that match the diagrams shown here, but I have established each wire's function.

So, in a nutshell, I need to know the relay wiring trickery by wire function not color.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks for the response and sorry for my delayed response. Haven't been checking in as I should. Probably gotten too used to thread subscription notifications.

The car was a shell with not an inch of the original harness or any such things as the intermittent box. So, we have to discount the use of wire colors. I have the wiper working without the intermittent box, so I have an established 12V and ground, and ground-activated Low and High speeds. What I need is the "relay trickery". Also, the connector-pigtail I have for the Honda wiper does have wire colors that match the diagrams shown here, but I have established each wire's function.

So, in a nutshell, I need to know the relay wiring trickery by wire function not color.

Appreciate any help.

What wire outputs do you have at your disposal. What switch are you utilizing, how many outputs does it have. etc. Need to know what switch you're using before I can go into how you'd incorporate it with a relay system that parks. Also need to make sure your low speed switch goes high impedance (open) when you switch to high).

The car is '78 and it has an OEM combo switch but unsure what year it came out of. The connectors that plug into the combo switch are whatever could be salvaged and only had a couple inches of wire. I determined wire function on the bench and from that point out to the wiper, the Lo & Hi wires were just extended, the 12V came from the aftermarket harness and I supplied a ground source. The combo switch did have intermittent wires but without the box, I decided not to use that function. I will check the imp on the Lo speed wire when I switch to Hi and get back to you.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...