HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

Ok, so I need psychiatric help. It's not the end of the world.

Most guys in their mid twenties would dream about having sex with some hot babe or maybe even two or three at the same time.

Me.

Two nights ago I dreamt about my wipers working in two speeds and working fast like they would on a new car. :roll:

I was dropping my car off at the alarm guy this morning and it was raining so my wipers were on chugging along slowly but adequately. All of a sudden the car felt like something was clogging up the fuel line and it had no go juice. I stood on it in second gear and whatever it was went away and the car got tail happy finding itself at 4000 rpm in 2nd gear on a rainy day. Not something I want to do again.

Could it have been some water in the fuel system getting in from somewhere? I'm open for suggestions as to where?

Anyhoo, right after that I noticed the wipers were working like they'd just come out of the factory. Smooth, fast and getting rid of that rain. The Z God works in mysterious ways indeed. :roll:

I had to wait until I was 29 to have my dream realized, but it was realized many times thereafter. :wink:

It wounds like an electrical issue on your car. Maybe the guys working on it need to revisit the grounding issues.

• 2 months later...

I pulled out my whole wiper system and lubed everything up well about a week ago. The pivots that the wiper arms attach to were the worst. I pulled them out, and they were coated in rust. This is a metal on metal, tapered fit! Well emery'd them off, and used some graphite lubricant, and the wipers are fine now.

I took the wipers off today to do some windshield work... and damn I like the car without those big ass wipers up front. But I need wipers. Now I'm pondering trying to recess them like modern cars... has anyone investigated that at all?

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Houston, TX and when it rains here.. it usually pours. I was thinking about taking the whole assebly from a 300ZX like a 96 or something. What's to stop us fromt doing that? I don't have a 300zx to look at the assebly but seeing as it IS a Z car.. shouldn't be too different.

• 2 months later...

ok... I want to bring this topic up again as i never got an answer. My car caught fire over the summer and torched the OEM motor.. now it is a necesity i find a new one... i don't want an OEM from 78 that costs a fortuen and barely sheeds water... would a honda assembly work? any ideas are welcome!!! need quick ideas 2!!!

-Ed

but is the vette motor any faster? that's the whole idea here...

I don't see how it could be any SLOWER! I've owned four Z's, and none of them have been very good. The current one runs at 35 wipes/minute unloaded, and that slows down to about 28/minute when it's actually doing work. I've cleaned and lubed the gearbox, the pivots, and the linkages so I know it's not binding there. Maybe I need to run heavier gauge wire straight from the battery to the motor, or something? Perhaps I'll try that this weekend and see if it helps.

I'll give up my opinion on this:

First, AMPERAGE has little or nothing to do with the problem. I agree with the system running at a lower voltage does have an effect, but you need to look at the other thing that controls the speed: the delay unit. It not only puts you in slow or high-speed mode, but controls the intermittent delay. Remember that when you press the washer button, it swipes 3 times, then stops? That the electronic unit for you.

I would probably bet that there's some oxidation iin ther that's not letting the voltage get to the motor. This could be confirmed by putting battery voltage directly to the motor.

ANYBODY GOT A PIN-OUT FOR THE WIPER-MOTOR CONNECTOR?:o

my too sense. lol

lol i sense a smartass!

:D

I took a closer look at it today, was going to take it out, but decided it too much a pain in the butt.

I'm just gonna head over to a junk yard with my friend next week... See if i can find an old honda motor. I really don't see y it's so hard to put a different motor in, there is TON's of room compared to modern vehicles. I might have to fab a piece to mount it to the bars in there... thas about it... oh well we'll see what i end up with... money is tight.

I'll keep you informed

• 4 months later...

I have a '77 280Z. It works intermittent, slow, and fast. I live in Texas where we have "frog choker" rainstorms and, except under the worst downpours, they work fine. I find coating the windshield with Rain-Ex allows me to run at 45+ without them at all but they generally do fine. The only time they seem to 'drag' is when it is barely misting and the windshield is pretty dry and the wipers have new, soft blades.

Last post was November 2003 - am I as informed as I'm gonna get?

Yes. Unfortunately, that's the way most of these inquiries go. A few people suggest aftermarket alternatives, a few folks suggest cleaning and re-lubing the 30 year old parts, and a few admit to knowing nothing. :D

Every now and then a real gem surfaces, but in this case it's a long-known problem with no known satisfactory resolution.

Personally, I like the idea of using a step-up transformer to run the motor at 18 volts! :shock: