HybridZ

Improving the wiper motor

74Adam

I found what I believe is the correct motor on a 1990 Accord. I'll know for sure in a couple weeks when I get around to trying to hook it up. I looked at several other 1990 Accords and they had the same motor and it is in the same place on the car. The spider ones mount to the firewall behind the engine, but the correct motor mounts on the top underneath a black plastic cover that goes across the front of the car and is just behind the firewall. Hope that helps anyone who will be looking for one.

Greg

Greg, if you read the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread, the posts from HLS30-08077, you will see that he has figured everything out for the upgraded wiper motor. The one from a civic will work with a little modification to both the motor shaft AND the bracket, while the one from the accord you just need to modify the bracket. He's also fixed the auto park with a relay and to put in an intermittent wiper system into the car with 3 different wiper delay units. He's done a write up on clasiczcars.com, and his user name over there is Zs-Ondabrain. Send him a PM if you have any questions after reading what he's written up.

Justin

Yah, with these stickys they get so long it is hard to follow sometimes. From what I could see after reading it, he was recommending the '91 Civic motor, and so I went and found a '91 Civic motor only to find it was the spider type. I decided to post a picture of the spider type as being the incorrect one so others may not get the wrong one like I did. After looking around at the wrecking yard, I found one out of a 1990 Accord that looked like the picture that he posted and I wanted to let others know that it would work.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Greg, if you read the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread, the posts from HLS30-08077, you will see that he has figured everything out for the upgraded wiper motor. The one from a civic will work with a little modification to both the motor shaft AND the bracket, while the one from the accord you just need to modify the bracket. He's also fixed the auto park with a relay and to put in an intermittent wiper system into the car with 3 different wiper delay units. He's done a write up on clasiczcars.com, and his user name over there is Zs-Ondabrain. Send him a PM if you have any questions after reading what he's written up.

Justin

Slow down Justin, No need to get all hostile.:D And a slight correction would be that the older civic style has the correct shaft, whereas the accord need a shaft correction ontop of the usual mounting plate redrill.

It's cool though, Even I mix shite up every once in a while. And he's right though, it's 19 fricken pages to find out that the last 3 or 4 are the ones that really need to be read. I do, however, appreciate the good words.

Dave.

AKA Zs-ondabrain at CZC

• 9 months later...

Hello Folks, I bring 2 pieces of good news. After looking at multiple spider legged 91 civic motor, I started doing some digging. It turns out I can verify the motor is the correct motor in a 92+ civic, which broadens the scope to:

ACURA INTEGRA GS (1997 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA GSR (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA LS (1994 - 2001)

ACURA INTEGRA RS (1994 - 1998)

ACURA INTEGRA SPECIAL EDITION (1995 - 1996)

ACURA INTEGRA TYPE-R (1997 - 2001)

HONDA CIVIC CX (1992 - 1995)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL S (1993 - 1997)

HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL SI (1993 - 1997)

as well as 92-95 civic dx and ex's.

Now with this list there is a word of caution: The wrong motor might still be on the listed cars, but in the right place. So take EXTRA care The spider motors were inside the engine bay and didnt resemble thr right motor making it easy to spot them right away...The wrong motor is not the spider type but resembles the right 3 legged motor very closely. They are both under the plastic trim near the firewall/windshield I pulled the wrong motor out of a 94 civic. One difference I noted before I pulled out the second motor, is that from the back/top of the motor the right motor has its wire bunch going on top of its neck while the worng one didnt. the right one also has 3 mounting holes in a triangle while the wrong one only has 2 and a 3rd post with no threads in it. Study the pictures of the right motor before you go. Having a motor built in 2001 in a 70s car....Priceless Also these motors have the right shaft so you can just drill the mounting holes and bolt it in.

And next piece of good news... Here is the wiring for a 280z using stock delay module:

77' Datsun 280Z __________________ 92' Honda civic wiper motor

---------------------------_________Pin 86 -----blue/white

Yellow/black--------Pin 87A ________ Pin 87-------blue

----------------------------________ pin 30--------Chassis Ground

Blue/red----------------pin 85---------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

Fast, slow speed, intermit. and park all work with this setup. Ill double check this when I get home just to make sure im remembering it correctly, and Ill add a diagram of what is what incase your wiring is different and you have to figure it out,as its easier to figure out a circuit difference than the difference in car make/models. You can also buy a 4 prong relay if its all you can find instead of the 5, just put 280z yellow/blk and civic motor blue on the same 87 prong. Enjoy those bolt in 2001 motors that work with all settings and stock windshield wiper stalk control hehehehe AWESOME.

,Ryan

• 4 months later...
Ill double check this when I get home just to make sure im remembering it correctly, and Ill add a diagram of what is what incase your wiring is different and you have to figure it out,as its easier to figure out a circuit difference than the difference in car make/models.

Sorry I decided not to further complicate things by adding another diagram, as Ive done this mod 3 other times just using my last post's diagram. I picked myself up a 71 and a 72 240z so I should be attempting this again soon, and Ill relay any differences between the models, other than whats covered already.

,Ryan

Sorry I decided not to further complicate things by adding another diagram, as Ive done this mod 3 other times just using my last post's diagram. I picked myself up a 71 and a 72 240z so I should be attempting this again soon, and Ill relay any differences between the models, other than whats covered already.

,Ryan

I've done the Honda conversion twice on my 260z (without getting park to work).

After the second one died I have decided to go a different route. I am going to do a new motor conversion (motor comes with switch, 2 speeds+park). I am planning to get my switch to work in place of the supplied one. All for about $140.00 and a warranty. Pretty cheap for a reliable wiper system.

When I get everything installed and working I will post the information.

I've done the Honda conversion twice on my 260z (without getting park to work).

After the second one died I have decided to go a different route. I am going to do a new motor conversion (motor comes with switch, 2 speeds+park). I am planning to get my switch to work in place of the supplied one. All for about $140.00 and a warranty. Pretty cheap for a reliable wiper system.

When I get everything installed and working I will post the information.

Interesting.... please do! :2thumbs:

yeah that sounds good for only $140. It might be easier for all the people who cant get this working. Im not sure why your park doesnt work though.

,Ryan

I am going to try a Miata wiper first. I picked one up for $27.00 and my ex girlfriend has a Miata I can figure out the wiring from. If that doesn't work I will try the $140.00 option.

I can't understand why people are having trouble getting the Honda wiper motor working....its pretty easy. You either find the right one that fits right off the bat or get the one you have to grind the shaft on, but they aren't that hard to put in........

Greg

Word ive done 3 on 280zs and they've all worked with parking and int. But then again every car is different, they might have wiring issues or have some weird motor from the cars listed above. Who knows but even if $140 is more than i paid on my honda motors, its still not that bad.

,Ryan

I can't understand why people are having trouble getting the Honda wiper motor working....its pretty easy. You either find the right one that fits right off the bat or get the one you have to grind the shaft on, but they aren't that hard to put in........

Greg

I didn't have problems getting the Honda motors to work they just didn't last that long and they weren't strong enough for my liking.

I installed a wiper motor out of a 1999 Mazda Miata this weekend and not only is it easier to install than the Honda motor it is also stronger/faster.

I didn't have problems getting the Honda motors to work they just didn't last that long and they weren't strong enough for my liking.

I installed a wiper motor out of a 1999 Mazda Miata this weekend and not only is it easier to install than the Honda motor it is also stronger/faster.

No park ability yet but it works great and for $27 the price was right.CIMG0551_thumb.jpg

CIMG0552_thumb.jpg

CIMG0554_thumb.jpg

CIMG0555_thumb.jpg

CIMG0559_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I will have to be replacing my wiper motor in the next 2 weeks or so (rain season in CA, not to bad, hell we wear shorts in winter:tongue:). I am thinking I will be making a video on this and post it on youtube. I have a few other videos I am working on with electrical items with the 280z that some of my buddies wanted me to make (I do not understand machanics, but I understand eltronics :-D).

I think I am going to go with the mazda moter, and if that does not work, I can look for an accord one, but I shall see how it goes.

I will post an update when I get the video up.

Hope I can get it up soon. Just need to get paid so I can buy the motor.

I will have to be replacing my wiper motor in the next 2 weeks or so (rain season in CA, not to bad, hell we wear shorts in winter:tongue:). I am thinking I will be making a video on this and post it on youtube. I have a few other videos I am working on with electrical items with the 280z that some of my buddies wanted me to make (I do not understand machanics, but I understand eltronics :-D).

I think I am going to go with the mazda moter, and if that does not work, I can look for an accord one, but I shall see how it goes.

I will post an update when I get the video up.

Hope I can get it up soon. Just need to get paid so I can buy the motor.

It would be awesome if you could get the Mazda motor to park since it is faster than the Honda.

• 8 months later...

Here is the wiring for a 280z using stock delay module:

77' Datsun 280Z __________________ 92' Honda civic wiper motor

---------------------------_________Pin 86 -----blue/white

Yellow/black--------Pin 87A ________ Pin 87-------blue

----------------------------________ pin 30--------Chassis Ground

Blue/red----------------pin 85---------pin 85----------green/black

Black----------------------to------------------black

Blue/yellow----------------to-------------------blue/yellow

Fast, slow speed, intermit. and park all work with this setup. Ill double check this when I get home just to make sure im remembering it correctly, and Ill add a diagram of what is what incase your wiring is different and you have to figure it out,as its easier to figure out a circuit difference than the difference in car make/models. You can also buy a 4 prong relay if its all you can find instead of the 5, just put 280z yellow/blk and civic motor blue on the same 87 prong. Enjoy those bolt in 2001 motors that work with all settings and stock windshield wiper stalk control hehehehe AWESOME.

,Ryan

What are the --------------- lines on the 280Z side?

All this swaping motors, trying this or that, cant get it to park, gotta use a different switch..etc. For what.....just remove the existing OEM motor....carefully open it up and re-brush the motor. They have carbon brushes that get worn from 30+ years of use. I have done this on several datsun wiper motors, and after re-brushing and cleaning / lubing all the pivots...they work flawlessly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...