HybridZ

Short Throw Shifter for 79'Zx?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone make short thow's for 79' 280 zx's? If no one does; Would a short throw for another car work, if not could i modify one to work for my 79 280zx. Please help me out with this one cause i can't stand the long shift flow. :evil:

Guest Venture-Z

I think MSA makes a kit. I shortened mine and welded a bolt with the same threads to the end of it. I also made some new bushings out of brass while I was at it. I feels alot more solid and took out a ton of slop.

Guest De Schmaydee

....there's a ton of 'em if you have a T5.....i have a pro-ripper (its a lot of fun).....but i dont think theres any for the nissan tranny (really).....just a short version of the lever you already have......i'd just cut it down and thread it...... ..........s

Cutting it down and retreading it works but then the shifter is lower and might not be as easy to reach. You could also make a spacer that goes between the shifter and the trans. You will then need to extend the bottom part of the shifter by the same amount as the spacer. This should make a big difference and keep the top of the shifter close to the factory position.

Douglas

Shortening the shifter does not make it a "short throw shifter" only a shorter shifter. A true "short throw shifter" has the pivot point changed from where the shifter attaches to the transmission and the engagement point into the transmission.

There is nothing wrong with shortening the shifter, however, it should not be identified as a "short throw shifter" in function.

Ruben

'72 240Z