HybridZ

project 240z (rb26dett)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just got a 1970 240z 170k miles manual. now i'm gathering information on doing a rb26dett conversion. like how to do the wiring and motor mounts.

i also had a question about how to fit an exhaust system that is for a gtr on a 240zx once the rb26dett is in the 240. i will definetly have more questions so as they come i will ask thanks

ryan

Do....A....Search....

(edit to remove spaces)

It is more than answered several times over. And mulitiple times.

And I don't know what wiring motor mounts are. I assume you mean wiring and motor mounts. Again, covered several times.

(edit)I amtoo tired to give the answer again after we have answered it several times already.

If you have a question about something that is not covered, by all means ask. More than likely, we have covered every possible question you could initially have about the swap.

-Bob

RB26 conversion in progress...

(edit for niceness)

Guest Anonymous

sorry to piss you off BUT I'M NEW TO THE FORUMS i'm jus asking a general question because i figured maybe you had some places with info on the swap thanks skyline 240z and bob_h i will try and not be a pain in the ass hey 240z i am intrested in those motor mounts my e-mail is rb26dett_240z@yahoo.com

Take it how you want. You want to know where the information is? Right here in this forum has many of the answers you are looking for. The web has answers if you are looking to put the RB26 in a 240sx, not a 240z.

I know you are new,(i saw the 2 posts), and that is why I told you to do a search.

You can take it personal if you want, but that is not how it was intended. Far too many people come into forums,(not just here), and want the easy, cliff note answer before they are even willing to do a search. I am less tolerant than most, but I have been in Z car forums since most of them were started, and you get where you see the same questions over and over again, when some times the answer is even still on the front page of the forum...

Again, nothing personal, I give that response to everyone who comes into the RB forum asking how to put the RB into their 240z. And I have a set of motor mounts that Brad D makes that bolt up to the RB26 and the stock 240z mounts. I will be selling mine soon as I will have to fabricate some new ones for my new setup,(different suspension). Brad D also will sell you a new set,(you will get a cheaper price on mine since they are used).

When you do the search, read about the cost involved. You may be surpised to find it is far more than the 4-6k for the motor and tranny.

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

i am fully ready to spend more than 10k in doing the whole project. i know it will cost more and i wasn't being rude just saying i did a search and found what i was looking for. thanks bob and how much for your motor mounts?

Look Bob, If you don't want to give any advice to anyone, don't respond. You don't have to make any nasty comments :oops: . I'm probably the first guy who did the Skyline engine to 240Z conversion in north America :lol: , It was not easy at all, but looking back, It would be nice if some one could give some advise.

Rick

And welcome to the board Rick... again.

It was not nasty, nor was it meant to be.

If I tell you to do a search, I mean just that, nothing more.

I've been around all the Z boards since their inception,(zcia.com-now zcar.com, zcar.com when it was performance only among others), and everyone,(well, nearly everyone), comes to the forums and asks questions w/o so much as a few min of research. I have among the least amount of tolerance for laziness, which is exactly what it is. If you have time to burn, check out corner-carvers.com. Their tolerence is much lower than mine, but I subscribe to that philosophy. BTW, don't post there w/o at least a few months of lurking.... :)

There is tons of great advice that has been given out on hybridz.org in the alternate 6 cylinder forum, now the RB forum. If we re-hash it every time someone wants to do it, you will start to send mixed signals and dilute the good information already there. It is a good idea to re-visit issues if they have been dead a long time, however, this has been convered fairly recently. Not only that, but he found what he was looking for.

We have all been over this several times, and I am supported reasonably well,(about doing a search).

There was absolutely nothing nasty about it. I am not touchy feely, nor have I ever been, and if someones ego is that fragile, well, they shouldn't be on the internet.

I'll let this drop, as I thought it was already put to bed. If Ryan has other questions, which he most certainly will if he starts with this, I'm sure we will all work together to get a good answer for him if it is not in the archives/past posts.

Actually, Ryan, if you go ahead and purchase the motor, those of us doing the conversion have a mailing list where we bounce ideas off each other as we run into problems. The only requirement is you must actually own the motor,(the RB26) as we don't want a bunch of questions that are already answered here.

-Bob

(resident smart ass)

Guest Zachb55

lol, this topic is obviously well-worked, and so like bob said you will find a lot of the answers you need on these forums, and the people here will, for the most part, help lead you to the answers you need, it just isnt fun to type answers to questions over and over, but nothin worth gettin testy over, so if you got a specific question dont ever be afraid to let it fly, no-one is ever going to tell you to do a search if they arent sure that it has been gone over or not. hope you are enjoying the boards, they will help you emensly, i promise. i havent hardly done anything mechanically to my car but still reading about what others have done has prepared me for the journey ahead, wheew, hope i never have to type that same thing again :wink:

-Zach

Hi Bob, I don't mind giving some advice, but when all said and done, most don't do the conversion after all cause it went over their budget, that just p%$$es me off. What I do now is give them some start and offer them some conversion parts to see if they are really serious.

This one is for Zachb55, where did you get the skyline engine pic from? Maybe from L&R Racing, did you know I built that car? Would be nice if you made some reference to it on your website :-D Something like "For engine mounts or custom Z parts, e-mail Rick at infinitymachining@shaw.ca" What do you think?? :wink:

Rick

Rick,

I understand your frustration, but my goal is just the opposite,(or maybe just different). I want people to be as informed as they can about the swap, even to the point of driving people away.

(edit-driving them away from the swap.._) It is nowhere near a cheap or easy swap, as you are well aware. However, people need to know they likely will have to do extensive fabrication, extensive wiring or ECU work,(aftermarket or stock), and completely re-do the fuel system. And all said, the budget will likely be AT LEAST 12-15k, very possibly more.

I'm sure there will be someone to jump in and say, "No way, you can do the entire swap for 6-7k". Live in your dream world buddy, only if you get the motor for free, and skimp on basics such as brakes, tires, safety, etc..

While I would love to see lots of RB26 conversions on the road, I would rather see less complete conversions and less abandoned projects with disillusioned enthusiasts, than more of both,(with the majority being in the abandoned project side).

Just my several dollars. And as more of us complete the swap, the eaiser it will be for those following us as we worked through the hard stuff, and eventually, someone will find the "easy", or less complicated way. I expect one of us will crack how to use the stock ECU here fairly soon. At least three of us are trying to make it work on its own rather than go to a standalone.

-Bob

on edit- ryan, never answered your question on the mounts. Once you get serious about the swap, i.e. are buying a motor, talk to me or Brad or Rick about engine mounts. Rick has fancy billet ones from what I understand. Brad's, (what I have), are a little more simple, and likely cheaper, but work well. Brad worked hard to set the motor back and down as far as you could. In my current mock-up, I would say he accomplished that. Hard to say if Ricks setup or Brad's puts it in a better location. Either is better than the RB20 mounts from the 200ZR,(the Z31 300zx with the RB motor, the mounts Stony is using).

Rick, Welcome to the board. Bob H. Take a time out... I read your response and it PISSED ME OFF and I don't care ANYTHING about RB swaps. This isn't the type of site where you find something that annoys you and you put on your jack boots and jump all over someone...

Now Rick, there is a TON of info here for your reading. Some of our members get annoyed answering the same questions over and over, the reason you got the response you did from Bob H. That IS NOT the image we want to portray here at HybridZ.

Search on the respective topics you are interested in, which will take some time, and once you've read all you can stand, answered some questions, and developed even more, feel free to ask away!

Mike Kelly

Its ryan, not rick.

Rick did the conversion,(see recent threads with his pictures, bought buy a guy in CA). Ryan is looking to do it.

And Mike, there was no jack boots, nor jumping all over anyone. It was civil the entire time. Re-read it please, and PM me if there is still an issue,(with specifics). I don't get annoyed at answering the same questions, I just think it shows laziness if they aren't willing to search. Ryan was willing to search, and found what he wanted.

This is not Zcar.com, and I should hope it stays that way. There is way too much great information in the posts already and I feel people should feel like they need to search first, then ask - rather than ask expecting the answer every time. I stand my ground there, and that really won't change. You guys can Bob bash all you want, (has happend before-see L6 head threads), but in the end, most tend to agree. If it takes Bob bashing to get the message out, then bash away.

Lets not clutter up this thread with more "Hey Bob, stop pissing in everyones cereal" PM or e-mail me please if it is that much of an issue for you.

-Bob

Guest Anonymous

bob, skyline240z, etc you all have given me good advice. i talked to rick i told him when i get the motor(the end of this month!!) i would call him.

thanks again everbody

Guest Anonymous

hey brad do you have a rust free 240z on your hands, a freind of my is looking for one right now to do a lt1 swap. let me now i can get you his number