HybridZ

sds on a lt1 v8?..possible?

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

ok i was thinking about putting a chevy v8 with efi from a camaro or vette in a 280zx, but i want efi, and i dont want to deal with factory ecu's and harnesses. can i just get the engine complete without the ecu and harness and use an sds or other stand alone system?

Just buy the engine and computer, wire it in yourself and get a cable for the laptop (or desktop) and get tunercat.

The wiring of the PCM is pretty easy, just get a factory service manual and trace the wires.

It's only about 6 or seven wires to hook everything up. If you need help just ask away. I rewired my whole car (1994 Z28 Lt1 into 73 240Z), so I have ZERO of the original Z wiring (Whoo HOO). I am not an electrical expert by any stretch of the imagination. Don't waste your money on the Painless kit. I was tempted to, but I am REALLY, REALLY glad I didn't.

Once you have TunerCat, you can edit the PCM anyway you like!!

Rather spend the $1000.00 plus on go fast parts instead of aftermarket electronics!

Tim

Take a look at my website. I did/doing just what you want to do. I have an 1980 280ZX that I am finishing up the LT1 conversion on!

I bought a used harness from Darius(another member), off his LT1. He bought it from Street & Performance and also the chip that goes in the 93 computer. The harness from S&P is originally $650(I think). If I did it all over again I would have just gone through the factory harness. Plenty of people on this site have done that with great results(Tim240Z). And they are more than willing to help you just as long as you use the search function first. :wink:

Now if you want to make life easy on yourself buy an 1995 LT1. This is the best year because it has the updated OPTISPARK, its OBD1, and it has the rewriteable PCM(unlike the 93 computer)94-97 has the rewriteable computers but the 96-97 is OBD2(more expensive to program) and the 94 doesnt have the updated OPTISPARK, so buy a 95' if your going to go with an LT1.

If you buy the MSA mounts you dont have to modify or use the corvette braket, just as long as you use the AC delete pulley. I do not know if you can use the AC or not since I choose not to. I think it would be a very tight fit if you could fit it in there.

Also if you do gp with the LT1 keep the drivers side exhaust manifold it works great if you have the big steering gear box mounted on the frame rail. I am using a small header on the passenger side. I am going to have custom headers made, but for now this will do the job!

Anyways.....take a look at my site and let me know if you have any more questions!

:D

Guy