HybridZ

MAX HORSEPOWER ON A L28ET ??????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know what's the most power anyone has ever gotten out of one of these things ? Or how much you could probably get out of one of these ? I know you could put the car's the are in into the 13's and 12's pretty decently. But since the L28et seems pretty similar to any other L6 turbo IE supra motor. What's stopping us from pushing thoughs kinda numbers ?

~BB~

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JAMIE T

Well, obviously the first thing that comes to mind is the non cross-flow head and only two valves per cylinder. We are blessed with stout cranks and blocks though. Try it. Drop a T88 on one and see how long it lasts. We know 600hp L28 Turbo's exist(ed). Electramotive did it back in the early '80's.

Kinda reminds me of this time a friend of mine was complaining that no one made a canted valve head for a 440 Chrysler. He understood the benenfits of the canted valve head and wanted his 440 to have them. I told him to quit complaining and build an engine that had what he wanted, ala' Big Block Chevy. He now runs a long rod 427 Chevy. Hey if you cant beat'em, Join'em. If you want a 800hp inline 6, build a Supra engine, or even a skyline engine. If you can "Settle" for 600hp, you could build a L6 that can do that. Just be ready to spend big bucks on it.

supra engine is more modern technology, cant really mess with that.

L motor is side flow head, two valver, but yes, its blessed with a super strong block, crank, rods, and no plastic timing belt! i really think its the old tech stopping it from making outerspace horse like a 2jz can.

i do know one guy actually, my man Hoover Chan

currently runs a 400hp@14psi tuned on 91 octane, and can get more than 550-600 range with race fuel. rebello L31et with a electromotive billet crank and rods, 8.5 or so cr, crazy done up head, MOTEC, and a host of other one off gadgets gizmo and gear. Car runs leaner than me at idle, and frekin idles LOWER!!!!!! car could be driven daily it runs so clean, but looks nuts, thing has 15x12 rims out back with 335/35/15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

car is no joke, i would love to see the car out and about more, but guy has a booming self business going on. btw-i think he has about 20-30k under the hood, and you need a super special geto pass to get those billet bottom end parts, $$$$$$$$crilla.

Guest Anonymous

Hmm I thinking hard about a twin turbo setup and its a toss up between an L6, a GNZ, or a V8. I want to stick with the L6 but it seems like it would cost major cash. I'm talking double or triple what it would for the GN or V8 to get the same power. Damnit.

Head design my friend. How do you make power? You MUST be able to flow air into and out of the motor. My head flows in the 200cfm range tops, intake ports. Not bad for the head, but when honda guys are getting 300cfm from the intake ports you can see how they make so much power. Also, combustion chamber design plays a significant roll. Another thing is 1 large valve vs 2 smaller valves has said to lessen reversion. Bottom line, the heads don't flow high cfm in stock or lightly modified form. I did find a guy that says he can make the head flow 290cfm by raising the ports very high and making them in the 1.75" ID range. One note, a friend of mine has a turbo mustang running 5.1@146 in the 1/8th. The heads flow 400CFM. Does that tell you anything?

Guest Anonymous

Well I figured head design would and does play a roll in high HP numbers. I didn't know that it was that restricted on a L28. But anyway what's stopping someone from making a DOHC head for the L series block ?

~BB~

It would be nice if there were high flow heads for the L6 motor. Too bad you couldn't just steal a Rb head and get it to work. I'm betting they flow a little better with the numbers they pull. Maybe someone could do it, not me, but somone. :roll:

Well, the SR20DET has similar port and combustion chamber design to the RB26. I believe the heads flow in the 250cfm range stock. On my buddies SR20DET'd RX7 he made 396hp@wheels w/out the nitrous with only HKS cams and this was on pump gas. Not to mention it is a 2liter 4cylinder motor. I think if someone wants bang for the buck swap a silvia motor into the 240Z. Much lighter and much cheaper to make good power.

Well first off you can get to the 600-700 tops with the L series turbo application. You will spend the bucks doing it tho, no question about that.

The thing that concernes me the most from my stand point is the chassis of the car. I am pushing 500Hp with my engine and I am going to bump it to 600hp but the body of the car is really starting to get stressed in my opinion. We will see how it handles the hp and torque. I am thinking 600 hp is about all you would want to go without linking the car together to accomidate the torque better.

One thing that I just realized while talking on the phone to a friend is a engine plate between the tranny and engine. You could make the plate to secure to the frame rails and there is no reason why you couldn't extend the plate a few inches so that you could link the car together, front to rear. Now that would be a good way to fix all of the body flex.

Then the sky is the limit for power if you were really wanting to make some serious hp and torque.

anyway, just thinking out loud. :D

Guy by the name of Harry Gershenson (sp) had a twin turbo 77 or 78 Z in the early 80s. I watched it run at the Bay Bottom Crawl, a high speed auto cross in the Keys in 1980. He owned the "Z Shop", Miami, Florida. Not sure what the horsepower was, but it screamed. He also ran SCCA B Production/GT2 with a NA Z and had an L6 powered tube frame 240SX running in GT2 as well.

ecp48

Guest Anonymous

Well it seems that I am not the only one with the question of horsepower delimma. I'm glad to see a Z tunner pushing 5 and 6 hp. But what I wanna see is someone go F&F style (minus the stickers and such) with a Z. As for the frame flex,well couldn't we just weld the parts together ? As for a SR20DETT in a Z,well wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a hopped up L series motor no swaps and such. I also wanna see someone solve this head problem without paying out alot.

~BB~

Guest JAMIE T

Have you read the article in SCC about the F&F cars? Most of our cars will stomp a mudhole there a$$es. The fastest car in the new movie is the 427 '69 Camaro. The"10 sec. Supra" ran a blindingly fast 14.5 in the quarter. What a joke! A good strong flat top L28 with a N42 head, cam and worked SU's will do that in a 240Z. No Turbo, No nitrous. Our cars are so much lighter than any of these newer cars that 2/3 the horse power is need to produce similar ET's. A 400 HP 240Z that weighs under 2500lbs, can easily run in the 11's.

As for a SR20DETT in a Z,well wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a hopped up L series motor no swaps and such.

I think you are on the wrong forum with that attitude.

I also wanna see someone solve this head problem without paying out alot.

It's not gonna happen. Did you read my first reply to this thread? If you feel like you are at some sort of dis-advantage do to the cylinder head design(which is about 40 years old), then build a more modern engine. SR20DET's are light(the complete engine weighs as much as my T56 transmission), cheap, and great power producers. After my 240ZT is running, it's SR20DET-Z for me.

I am there with ya on the Sr20det. It is just a great little engine, and yeah it may only be two liters, but it can make some wicked power.

I bet sticking one in a 240 would be a piece of cake, and JWT can hook you up if you don't want to go stand alone.

I saw a kid up at Steele here run high 12's at 119 with a stock SR20det in a 240sx, with a t3 compressor wheel in the stock turbo, a FMIC, and duct tape holding one of his hoses on. He was on regular street tires.

Man hang a hybrid off that sucker, put some big injectors in it, and look out. Probably scare that dang GN engined 240. :lol:

The age of the cylinder head design really doesn't have much to do with it. It is more from a lack of effort that a Z head doesn't match up to a Supra's. Stutz and Duesenberg were building DOHC 4 valve per cylinder engines over 90 years ago. The techonology has existed forever, it is just that some car manufactures put more effort into it than others.

Guest Anonymous
Have you read the article in SCC about the F&F cars? Most of our cars will stomp a mudhole there a$$es. The fastest car in the new movie is the 427 '69 Camaro. The"10 sec. Supra" ran a blindingly fast 14.5 in the quarter. What a joke! A good strong flat top L28 with a N42 head' date=' cam and worked SU's will do that in a 240Z. No Turbo, No nitrous. Our cars are so much lighter than any of these newer cars that 2/3 the horse power is need to produce similar ET's. A 400 HP 240Z that weighs under 2500lbs, can easily run in the 11's.

As for a SR20DETT in a Z,well wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a hopped up L series motor no swaps and such.

I think you are on the wrong forum with that attitude.

I also wanna see someone solve this head problem without paying out alot.

It's not gonna happen. Did you read my first reply to this thread? If you feel like you are at some sort of dis-advantage do to the cylinder head design(which is about 40 years old), then build a more modern engine. SR20DET's are light(the complete engine weighs as much as my T56 transmission), cheap, and great power producers. After my 240ZT is running, it's SR20DET-Z for me.

No I'm not on the wrong forums,jsut stating my opinion if I can't do that then yes I am on the "wrong forums". Now I understand why you would suggest a SR20. But before you shoot off about thoughs. I know thoughs motors sorta well and I know what they can do. But hybridz is about doing something different. Different always cost that's why I am here with this question. I know a 40yrld design would be hard to change...but hey everything we know today is a knockoff of something else. The motor in the skyline was based off the old L-series correct ?

~BB~