HybridZ

Sawzall & Steel

Guest the_dj

Guest the_dj

For cutting some steel is a Sawzall worth the price? I'm using a hacksaw as is and it SUCKS!!

Anyone have any links to a good model?

EDIT: AIR tools are best because they stay cool while you're using them :thumbup:

Guest Your Car is Slow

Man..you can pick up a Milwaukee sawzall at Home Depot or anywhere for about 100 bucks. It will pay for itself in ease of use and lack of frustration many many times over :)

Also pick up a nice set of hacksaw blades to go with it.

Gotta have a Sawzall and at least a 4" grinder/cut-off tool. Both are indespendable for "Hybridizing" :D

I also bought a 10" cut-off disk for my compound mitre saw. Works great for cutting square tube and angle stock. I know a guy that uses 10" cut-off disks in his circular saw to cut steel stock.

I'm with Tim. My next purchase is a nibbler for sheet steel. God, I love tools! :2thumbs:

The Saws-All is the best tool for doing exactly what the name says. I love mine.

As for the Harbor Feight model. I'll put it this way; I used one for about 2 years to do intercooler pipes and some exhaust work. A month ago I got fed up and went and bought a Dewalt. I think I stipped the gears. Yes is was more than double the price but, its double the tool. If money is an issue then go with the Harbor Freight model unitl it's used up then upgrade.

I have that 18 volt rechargable sawzall and I love it. It has come in handy several times. I also bought the cheapo 4.5" angle grinder and love it too :D

Mike

I went from a very old Milwaukee to a Porter-Cable Tiger Saw. Holy cow is that saw nice! Always had to use the allen wrench to change blades and with the "quick change", blade changes are VERY SIMPLE! Awsome feature. Also, with 9.6 amps, if you get that sucker stuck, you're going to ring your bell :wink: . Very nice tool, highly recomend it. Been using it for about 2 years now with only the quick change getting gummed up with crud, just have to oil it every now and then. Next tool is a cordless one for small jobs.

!M!

Guest Your Car is Slow
you're going to ring your bell

ahhahahah

I had to sit down after the first time the blade got bound up in a tree limb I was chopping down.

I've got the Porter Cable too. Mat's right on the money. The quick change feature plus the orbital stroke option for cutting wood. Nice tool. I think all the new ones have a version of quick change. The more amps it pulls the more control you will have with the variable speed. Most people don't realize how handy the tool can be with small stuff if you run it slow. The cordless ones are THE tool for the junk yards. Why waste 20 minutes wrenching off a stubborn nut on a crusher car? Ten seconds with a sawzall. Your first one has to be an AC one though. The battery powered tools, while getting much better every year, are still also-rans.

Wouldnt mind a saws all but the cheepest i could find in this part of the world is still around $300. I use a grinder for almost everything. You can get super thin wheels for them that totally transform the way they work. Made by Zip or something like that.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing what’s currently available commercially, Milwaukee is the brand to beat. Milwaukee is currently updating their product line. Stores such as Home Depot have them on clearance sale. A few weeks ago I bought a 8.5 Amp quick-change model for $50.