HybridZ

Guest ON3GO

i had FM901's on my Z32 300zx... GREAT TIRE.

didnt ever have a prob with them and were great in the rain.

im also looking for tires..

i have 245-50?-16 drag radails im gonna run when i start making power.

but im not sure what tires i should get for driving around town and such.

rims sizes are. 16x8 front, 16x9 back.

have 8in coilovers if that helps any...

no whats a good size tire for those size rims?

thanks

I'm running 225/50-16 Yokohama S306's. I hate them. Can't keep them balanced. H rated Dunlops I used to have had better traction.

I've run the Kuhmo Ecsta 712s on my Turbo 510 and '97 Maxima with excellent results. Prices are right, too! Just my 2 cents.

I've always loved Falken tires. The Azenis Sport is their stickiest tire (what I currently have), but there aren't many sizes available, closest to what you want is 215/45/16. The Ziex 512 (which I assume is similar to the old 502, which I had a set of) should be a less stiff and less sticky dry tire but much better in wet. I found the old 502's to be a fine street tire. Depends on what you want to do with the car, those Falkens I mentioned or Kumho 711's or 712's are great budget tires, you can move up to more expensive BFG KD or KDW tires for more $$. There's obviously lots others out there too...I have a friend who has lots of fun with his Yokohama AVS ES100's as an autocross tire, though they're nowhere near as fast as a race tire. He got them so they'd last a while and give him some more feel as to what suspension setup changes did to the car's handling. Another friend had both the ES100's and FM901's, I think he said the ES100's were a little grippier.

Guest uberhahn

I went with 245/45R16 Yokohama AVS ES100 in the rear, and 225/45R16 in front.

I had them high-speed balanced on 16x8 centerline wheels. I balanced the wheels first naked, so I could see how good the tires were.

The tires required no additional weight. The tech said he's never seen that before. So far the wear has been good, even with relatively poor camber adjustment in the rear. Sticky, good water traction, great price from the Tirerack ($92/tire).

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of size 225/50/16 are a nice fit and match the original rolling diameter. However, some have had slight clearance problem in the front with 225/50/16 ) obviously there is some variace based on rim width in addition to tire.

As for tire I have had way too many to recount but keeping price as a important factor I tend to vote on the Kumho 712 since they are very predictable with great grip. I have used them both on a 280zx turbo and a supra twin turbo with great results. They do well in the rain too

I definitely agree with the Falken opinions. I won't go into the full diatribe on my experiences, but they are extensive, with several tire brands,(worked at a tire shop and had access to every brand...mainstream anyway) and I now use Falken exclusively on all my vehicles, although my favorite all around tire the ZIEX 502 has been discontinued :cry: .

Trust me, you won't go wrong, especially if you consider the price!!!

Tim

Guest Casey240Z

Bridgestone RE730's are sweet tires. I had them on my camaro and were the best tires I had on that car. I'm not sure if they have them in that size but they might. They have great grip in the dry and the wet, they also have a great looking tread design.

I've had good success with Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions. They should last over 20k miles if you don't heat cycle them to death first like I did. On my second set now. I've won my class time trialing with these tires vs. Kumhos, Hoosiers, etc. Probably about 1.5 seconds slower than Hoosiers at most tracks. They're great rain tires at the track as well.

i went with the dunlop FM901, 225/50/r16 V all round. I love them, they make the car handle so much better, helped reduce some understeer. i also love the agressive directional tread. i did have a problem with the tires rubbing in the rear and had to do some serious fender lip rolling, I still have one rubbing sometimes under really hard cornering. But so far I like em. Well see how long they last.