HybridZ

LT1 headers in 280Z

Hello,

I am putting the engine and trans from my wrecked '94 LT1 Caprice into my '78 280Z. I have the JTR manual and all the parts and have been lurking here on this board for a long time. I appreciate all the help that I have had from reading posts on this forum. I am to the point of buying headers and I know the LT-1 has D-port exhausts. The block hugger headers are round port. I read 80LT1's post about blowing out a stock header gasket. I am wondering what those of you running LT-1's are doing for headers and exhaust. I have no problem with using a set of the block hugger style headers if they'll work. There are D-port style shorty headers at a much higher cost, but I'm wondering what else will work.

Also, does everyone use the Street & Performance / Painless Wiring LT1 swap harnesses or have any of you modified a stock harness and used that? JTR makes a TPI swap manual and I wonder how much help this book is before I lay down the green. There are people who will modify the harness for a fee, but I wonder if any of you have tackled this part of the project yourself and how did it turn out?

I have the rest of the project under control, but the wiring issue is my biggest concern.

Thanks,

jpstahle

You can get D-port block huggers...check around...Summit, PAW, Jegs etc.

As for the wiring, don't waste your money on the painless or other aftermarket harness. They cost huge green, and it's not difficult to do it yourself. Buy the factory service manual and trace the wires. With my Z28 LT1 (1994), it ended up being about 10 wires (including gauges). Real easy, just takes time.

Tim

Yeah I bought a S&S harness but I bought it used from Darius(another member on this board. I paid $400 for the harness and the computer from him. I think you should do what Tim said and just modify the existing harness. Awhile back we had a post going on which wires are needed and which ones arent. Do a search for "LT1 wiring harness" You should be able to find it.

As for me blowing my header gasket...I would do what I am doing and buy a good copper gasket, no matter what kind of headers you use. It's not worth the hassel of changing a header gasket just to save $20 on a set of cheapo gaskets. Also buy some stage 8 locking header bolts this will alos prevent blowing a header gasket.

Guy

:D