HybridZ

Skyline RB26DETT Engine Mounts -> Datsun 240Z

Boobala

Hi Boobala' date='

If you are talking about mounts for a car versus an airplaine, they are two totally different things. I do make aircraft parts for Boeing and Bombardier, and the procedure to go through making a part is much more intense in papertrails (you know what I'm talking about) and making the part is again another thing. You have to find the right grain structure of the material for the best stress resistance and all radiuses must be put on in all corners and the part must go through a few stages of stress relief and shot penetration to release any levels of stress, and then go through x-rays or ultrasound in order to pass inpsection for an airplane. Now if you want all those levels to be done for a car, it could be done, but the price of the mounts would be over $1000 easily.[/quote']

Well, while you're going to all that trouble, you might as well make them out of steel. How strong is Stainless? ;)

But like you said' date=' the rubber insulators will reduce most of the vibration of the motor already, so the corners will be okay. You are also right, ideally everything should be radiused, which I could do right now, and the center section will be thinner. Next time, I'll put a small radius in there to satisfy my toughest critics :-D

I'll try to post some more pics from other angles of the mounts soon.[/quote']

3456skyline_engine_mounts-med.jpg

They are pretty. Too bad they are buried were you can barely see 'em when installed.

Guest Zachb55

Skyline240Z, this is your Z right :

http://www.pasmag.com/news/get.asp?ID=586&tsectionkey=features#

well if you are the owner of that RBZ, which i think you are, then hell i would put those mounts on my car in an instant if they would make my car as cool as yours...lets see, now all i have to do is, umm, EVERYTHING, and they'll be pretty close, haha. Awesome car dude!

Guest Anonymous

Yes Zachb55, That was my RB Z. I sold it to a guy in San Diego CA, I'm looking for a rust free 70 or 71 shell to start another project. If any one can help, I'll be great. I live in BC Canada, so it's pretty hard to find a good one here.

Rick

why did you sell it???? im addicted to rb power. if i cant get mine in the tens with current chassis and drivetrain mods gonna sell mine too and start over with a backhalved z powered by a 600RWHP+ rb26

Guest michael_240Z

hey skyline,

not that i'm going off or anything, but seriously, could you please tell me all that goes into making something like this that makes them almost $300? is the metal platinum or titanium? is the machine(s) you use to make them real expensive or something? if you went to one...did the trade school that you went to to learn how to make stuff like that(cause they do look really good btw) have a high tuition? i'm just failing to see what makes things like this(because this isn't the only thing i have seen that was being sold for more than it seems it's worth). i just don't understand.

Guest Anonymous

For you it would be the Z31 200ZR, for us the nickname is the PZ130. I went down to Nissan and just ordered mine. I'm not sure if you can do that in the states but they were only about $60 US a piece.

Guest michael_240Z

skyline,

the last time i checked, this is what the forums are for. to discuss and exchange ideas, not to tell someone that they shouldn't be on a forum. i wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers, i was honestly inquiring about why two pieces of metal were so expensive. you could have merely said that they are expensive because of this and this and that and i would have been like, cool. thanks. and i believe that i'm not the only one who said they were expensive, i just merely asked what goes into the process of making them that would make them so expensive.

Hi Michael

Sorry for jump down on you, It just seems like every one don't think it is a fear price.

It starts out with R&D work, then make up DWGs, then it needs a cnc programer to program the shape, the material which is Alum about $50, then machined with a cnc machine which goes for $80/hr. The list goes on, these mounts are Not mass produced cause there are only a hand full of people who are doing it, hope you would understand.

Rick

Guest alien-e

You mentioned that these mounts do not attach the cross member. So they mount on a heavy duty rubber bushing onto the frame rails? Did you cut away the old mounts on the cross member? I don't have any experience with the RB26 engine, so I don't know where the engine mounts are, so please be specific with your answer.

Also, was it necessary to get a custom exaust manifold to mount the turbos differently than in a R33 engine bay?

I'm still thinking about my own RB swap, so I'm still in the planning stages. Though, I may go ahead and buy them so I can make it easy on myself in the future.

Hi Alien-e

These mounts will bolt to the stock 240z cross member with different rubber insulators, the only thing you need to do is to drill a 12mm hole on each side of the cross member for the rubber insolators bolts.

With my alum mounts, you will not need to alter anything to the motor, everything fits right in.

Rick

Guest JAMIE T

I don't plan on ever doing a RB swap into a Z. But, I must say I'm pretty tired of people who aren't doing anything to further our hobby giving guys who atleast make an attempt to build products for our cars a hard time.

This reminds me of the brake adapter thread from a few weeks ago.

I was building tubular rear control arms(sold a bunch of them with MIKELLY). These were adjustable on the car(double adjustable). Every once in a while somebody would post a question on here as to whether they had been designed by an engineer, or tested by "qualified" somebody. No, they had not been designed by an engineer. Designed by ME! We have a set on a very competitive(WINNING) auto-X Z. They are the very first set I ever built and they are performing perfectly. Would they hold up to daily driving and huge pot holes? Probably, but that isn't what they are for. They are race car parts, and sold as such. Race cars are intended to be inspected after each race and any item that has developed problems are repaired. Like I said, atleast we are trying to make a differance, and improve our sport.

$295 for a set of solid billet aluminum mounts isn't too bad, besides, who else has billet mounts for an RB in a Z? If you don't want billet mounts, then get the ones Brad has. If you want the big Blingen' Alum mounts, then get Ricks. Otherwise, If you don't have the ability to make your own, then you WILL buy some mounts from somebody.

Well said Jamie - I'm going to throw my $.02 into this. I inspected Rick's old car for Mike before it was purchased. I'm an aircraft engineer and I see no issues with stress risers on Rick's engine mounts. Aircraft engine mounts are tinfoil compared to the massive billet construction of the RB mounts. If you are building light, highly stressed parts for aircraft, stress risers are a concern - they aren't on a engine mount for a car that may see 500 hp and is rubber mounted. IMO Rick is providing a specialized part for a microscopic market. They are well designed, made of quality billet and fit the engine quite far back and down in the engine compartment. You could buy the 200ZR mounts for $60 each and ship them from Japan or NZ and pay a little less than $295 for mounts that don't put the engine in an optimum position in an early Z. If you step back and look at the big picture - they could be the cheapest part that you buy for your RB conversion. :wink: I know that when I do my Z with an RB, I'll be calling Rick.

Doug

If I were doing an RB I'd buy them. Hassling to build your own mounts or trying to get something from overseas is a PITA. the JTR mounts I used could've been built but they had done the research and were selling them for a price that was reasonable so I bought them. These have a FAR smaller market and are well built and won't rust. In the grand scheme of an engine swap $300 is peanuts for something that saves so much work!

Geez, so many more interesting motors than the SBC nowadays. If I were doing it again the 2JZ and the RB would rank higher on my list than the SBC. Oh well, maybe next time ;)

Guest Anonymous

i have to say from the point of view of someone who does machining and mild amounts cad design those are some impressive mounts. now if youve never machined anything you will never apreciate inflation on a piece like that. to machine a part that large and that precise takes for ever and a month. cnc is ofcourse quicker but it still takes a long time to cut a piece that large that deep. the difaculty of machining is the only thing that hikes up a piece like that. yes rounded corners make it a bit nicer and a bit sturdier but theres no chance of that breaking IMHO. i personaly was suprized to see a mere 298 a set price tag. having machined large objects before i would be willing to pay 298 a piece for those bad boys.