HybridZ

Anyone out there running a 27" Tire?

I am seriously considering a 27x10.5x16 MT ET Streets but do not want to end up with the car looking "jacked up". I am looking to break loose and start turning up wick but the car is going to have ridiculous :rolleyes: MPH and I need to control the RPMs thru the traps.

Guest Aaron

My dad is putting a set of 29" slicks on his 300. It looks a little jacked up, and does not appear that it will rub. We will see when he runs it on the track.

Strictly for running at the track. The only time these tires would see public roads is for the 9-mile drive to the local track.

The C4 also came with a 2.73 but it uses a different carrier than the 3.xx gearsets. Besides, I will be needing new drag tires soon, so that kills 2 birds......

Mike, you are correct if you are looking for a 12" drag radial or DOT slicks. The wider tires only come with a taller tire. Of course, when you run a slick or DOT slick you do not need that much tread width. The tread width on my QTPs are only 8"!! Best you could probably do is a 26x11.5-15 QTP or ET Streets which has a tread width of 10" and a section width of 11+". On a really wide wheel it would help fill up your tub and you would be hard pressed to spin those out of the hole. You would definitely have the screw your bobble-head to the dash :D. They are DOT but you definitely would not drive around on them.

I run a 245/50/16 Nitto DR on my car which specs at 26.5" Doesn't look jacked or anything. I'm going to look into a slick that will fit in the stock wheelwell with coilovers. ET Drag 26.0/8.5-16 I think is the size available. How much do these tires grow at the big end? A couple inches dia? Sorry to highjack your post Scottie but I thought that this was related.

Cheers - Doug

• 9 years later...

POST GRAVEDIGGER!!!    (Think I spent some time searching tire sizes to find this one????)

Anybody else running tall tires to help with gearing? 

I currently have 215 60 14's but was thinking of going to a 225 70 14 to get highway revs down.  That and trying to find a 3.364 R200 diff.  Tires first though probably. 

Wow, blast from the past! 

I am running 265/50/15 on the rear, with flares.  They spec out near 26".  I ran these tires more for surface area and traction, not much for counter gearing.  

Now, in 2013, I have a new problem.  These tires are hard to find any more, and so I will probably be going to a 17" rim in the near future.

I am also running the 3.5 R200, but I am wanting to go the other way.  Looking for a 3.7 or 3.9 diff so I can better use my gearing, 6th is almost a waste unless I'm doing better than 70mph.  

Sweetrid2go, I just changed from 3.90 to 3.54 because 3.90 put me between gears on the 1/8- mile with a 26" tire. I was in 6th all the time on the street around town. 3.90 was good for 1/4-mile at my hp level-redlining in fourth. But there is only one 1/4 mile track in state and 4 1/8 mile within an hour of my house. By my calculations, 3.7 will put me in between gears at both 1/4 and 1/8- mile.

Glad to see some action over here in tall tire land!  I'm turning 2500rpm at 75mph, which is a little bit high for my likes for 140mi a day. I think the stock '96 Mustang GT (what my engine/trans came out of ) would be turning 2100 - 2200rpm at the same speed.  I'm only getting 24mpg currently and want to see if I can squeeze something in the high 20's out.  I rarely use 1st gear now anyways, except for starting on a hill, so I'm not seeing it being terribly detrimental from a performance standpoint. 

I like the tires on your purple turd, Zfan1.  They really fill the wheel wells well. (sounds Iike I've got a speech impediment when I say that sentence aloud. :icon45:  )  I had a purple 65 Econoline van.  What a great car color. 

LOL, always need more money.  Why can't more stuff be free???  

Maybe I will split the difference and hunt for the 3.7 diff then.  I don't want to gear it too low.  

This is on what us locals call the WA autobahn.  80mph is about 2000rpm, give or take a bit.  

waautoban_zps1337f8b3.jpg

My stance from the side on a uneven surface...

fixing_zps5fc30b8a.jpg

• 1 month later...