HybridZ

Welded R200

Zfreak

Tbuck,

I have been using one now for about a year. Although I drove my Z quite a bit, it is not a daily driver so the cons do not bother me as much. I had a 3.70 LSD that went bad and did not bother to repair or replace it because the 3.70 ratio is too low for my purposes. I drag race my Z quite a bit with a low-revving, high-torque turbo engine.

As an inexpensive replacement, I welded up a 3.54 R200 and it has been put to the test and is holding up fine. So, the pro, of course, is that it is an inexpensive replacement for a LSD, especially if you do some drag racing. The con is that with the spiders welded, there is no slip, so the inside tire drags on very slow turns and really shows its ugly head on U-turns. The car is also much harder to push if not pointed straight. There have been claims that the car understeers and I cannot confirm how bad because I currently have my swaybars removed. Keep in mind though, that a little understeer is not a bad thing.

In summary, if your car is a peg-leg and spins one tire badly (this assumes you do burnouts or drag race) then it will suffice. If you understand the cons and can live with them, then it will suit you fine. If this is your only car and you do a lot of city driving, I advise against it.

If you do it, be certain it is done by a professional, like a driveline shop.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

• 1 year later...
Guest kc6wfs

Hi Tbuck,

I loved the welded 180..

It did finaly die the slow howling death on me so now I put a R200 and need to weld it.

It was due to long burnouts in the wetbox and grabbing on the dry pavement.

(((Hi Tim240Z smile.gif What ya doing this weekend....???)))

Your car will push a tad, and get a slight crab as you enter a turn like a sharp onramp.

churp churp churp every time you make right or left turns.

As far as braking halfshaft ujoints I cant see that happening unless they are allready warnout.

I am going to weld my R200 3.90 and hope it will last a LONG time..

Hope this helps.

Dave

cheers.gif

If he doesn't chime in here, drop Dave (KC6WFS) an email. I welded up his R180 for him, but I know that I would never be able to put up with a welded diff as a daily driver. I drove it around the block and it already started to bug me, the chirping of the inside tire going around corners. Did lay nice even black lines on the road though!!

Tim

I knew a slalom racer in LA that used a welded R180 with a slightly modified in line engine. He was practically untouchable in a race. I think his name was Rick Brown and I do remember his CA plates: 240Z.

I am told in a road race a solid diff gives a good driver a distinct advantage when going through (and out of) a corner. A good driver can make better use of the throttle to improve handling. Can't remember where I have read all of this.

I would also like to add that from what I have been told the weak link in an R180 rear are the spider gears. If you want a welded diff, then you might want to save some weight and use an R180 as this should give you adequate strength.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with all of the other guys. It works great! I'm running a welded R200 with 3.90 gears and have had no problems. The car runs high 11's at 118 mph with drag radials. But my car is NOT a daily driver. The above noted problems would be too much for a daily driver. Bottom line.....What are you going to use the car for?

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Does anybody know where I can get pictures of the process of welding the spyder gears?

Also I found a 1987 300zxt in a yard but the r200 has a normal back plate, is there a chance it is LSD?

I would also like some info on this. until I find an LSD or VLSD.

I do not know if the LSD's came in diffs without the finned cover, but if you jack up the rear and spin the tire, the other one will spin the same way if it is an LSD.

I`ve run a welded 3.70 R200 for about 3 years with no problems !

I do track events not drags.

There is some frt push at low speeds and it is a big b1tch to push the car.

I have not had any u-joint problems, although I change them yearly so I don`t have any failures.

I say go for it !

Guest Your Car is Slow

Planned on welding mine (3.36 R200).

Basically the process as I was told was get 8 bolts...and you will jam them in each of the 4 corners on both sides of the carrier thus preventing the spider gears from turning at all. Then simply weld the bolts so they become one with the gears.

Guest Bob L

positively frightening manners in the rain. My experience was in a live axle car (old Firebird), IRS might be different. Quit driving it in the rain after I spun a 540 degree turn getting onto a freeway.

• 6 years later...
Yea..ive been told its pretty much a deathwish to drive in the rain.

That is the worst downside and true IMO.

It is a way to hook but like any cheap solution it is not the best. If you are willing to not drive in the rain, and not annoyed by the tires squalling when you do a slow turn go for it.

Look at it this way I have a twin turbo drag Z with a Ford 9 full spool! What is the difference betweeen a full spool and welded center chunk?

I would NOT daily drive a full spool or welded in the RAIN other than that I have and would drive it. You won't get all to agree for or against read peoples opinions and decide if you can accept the downside.

Good luck