HybridZ

Welded R200

Zfreak

Well, since my Z is still under the knife I can't comment on how specifically the Z does with a welded diff. However, I daily drove my 240sx with welded short nose R200 for about 2 years.

I loved it. Honestly only one set of tires chirped bad, the others you just hear scruffing. Except for gas stations, the cement on gas stations makes those suckers squeal while turning lol. Avoid Direzas(not star spec), They chirp the worst, good tire though.

You just have to get used to driving it, you don't coast through corners you power through. Pulling into a parking spot you gotta be on the clutch constantly, U turns are easy... just mash the gas and turn the wheel the opposite direction :-).

Yes you can't drive it like an idiot, you have to be aware of your car and it's capabilities and yours. Driving in the rain is no different, yes it will come out from you but so will an open diff. Welded diff is VERY predictable, you can feel when your on the edge and when you do power over it's easier to control and spinning an open diff.

With that said, if you daily drive from rural area to downtown everyday, I would not do this. If you drive 3-5 miles to your job then go for it. Speeds over 40 in the rain arn't the best idea, hydro planes real easy. Although, I was usually on bald tires when i would hydroplane. That's another issue, kiss your tire life goodbye. Upgrade your engine and tranny bushings as the welded diff will transmit those forces back up the drivetrain.

In summary, I love the welded diff. Going to put one in the Z when I get the rear suspension finished. However, I like a loose rearend and sliding around. If you want everything tight and to feel secure, maybe this isn't the best idea for you.

positively frightening manners in the rain. My experience was in a live axle car (old Firebird), IRS might be different. Quit driving it in the rain after I spun a 540 degree turn getting onto a freeway.

I have a 3.54 welded R200 in mine. My dad decided to drive it in the ice one day. He did some landscaping on the neighbors yard when he tried to turn back into the driveway.

Besides the rain issue another down side is a welded diff strains the stub axles more. Broke 2 on our first ITS race car (basically stock hp) while we owned it, and after we sold it the new owner broke another and totalled the car at Moroso (we told him it was time to replace them, doh!). Know of 2 other ITS guys that broke stub axles (and 1 more totalled car) before we all got smart and started running LSD's. Never heard of any stub axle failures with LSD's. Not to mention the fact that welded diffs were slower around a road course 'cause you're always dragging a tire around! I wouldn't do it on the street, but people get away with it.