HybridZ

Tell me what you think of this setup

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Motown splayed 4 bolt main 415 block

forged rotating assembly

I beam or H beam rods (not really sure which)

10:1 or 10.5:1 compression

AFR 220's

Victor Junior Intake

not really sure about the carb either, prolly a demon 850 or something

going for ~550 RWHP on the motor, ~800 on the bottle

I wanna run a T-56 and a built 9 in behind all this.

As far as chassis and stuff goes no idea yet, it will have a cage but other than that I havent made my mind up.

This might sound a little crazy to you guys, but here in Austin Supra's rule the highway. People have the misconseption that they are unbeatable at their own game (roll racing). I have wanted to put and end to this for several years, now that the money situation is in my favor I am going to try.

Any suggestions?

read this, beat them at their own game!it won,t be cheap but, a 415 built correctly for use with a twin turbo set-up will have little problem getting 1200hp/800ft lbs, something supras will never get! (run a methonol or TOLUENE base fuel and you can add 250 more hp!)(like I said it wont be cheap but an intercooled twin turbo on METHONOL can kick butt almost anywhere! some of the methonal twin turbo funny cars are way over 2000hp)

http://www.montygwilliams.com/

http://www.skulte.com/turbo.html

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/

Guest super280z

naww dude, thats a horrible combo. it'll never work... ;D

do that basically but lower the compression and use a T-88 or 2 t-76's ;D it'll be pretty stout on the highway. you're gonna need some kinda huffer if you wanna beat supra's at there own game. sounds awesome anyway, happy rodding,

If you are running a 1st gen Z, you're going to beat them at their own game N/A I would think. Still, a force fed big cube SBC would do the unthinkable---you should be capable of space travel or something close to it. Chassis set up would ba a major concern. Nothing wrong with a solid rear axel, but just make sure you car is set up for speed, especially if you race a Supra hon the highway. We are talking 150mph+ or something like that I'm sure. Right? Good luck with the project and just make sure all of that power can get to the ground. My next engine will be a big cube SBC with a turbo(s). I would put money on your car if it is anything like I think it could be.

Have fun trashing Supras.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Yes, it needs to trap over 150 mph

I would love to do a turbo setup, but kinda shied away from it when i decided to go carbed

To beat the big Sup Dawgs at their own game you will need lots of power (shoot for high end, or boosted if you can) and extremely efficient aerodynamics. I believe Mike Kelly has gone for a few high speed runs..? You will need a solid aerodynamics package, probably with a good air dam, whale tail spoiler, and an undertray to help smooth the airflow underneath the car. I've always been amazed looking at different boards how many Supras, 300ZX turbos, BMWs, Corvettes, etc. all hail from Texas.

I personally would shoot for a twin turbo motor. The key to Supras' freeway domination is serious forced induction.

Guest 1fastz

2 THINGS FOR YOU

1. those supras dont totaly rule.. I will race walser or sw in his supra any day in my z up to 160 where i run out of gear and ill beat him

2. you do not want to be takeing a z much above 160 anyway they have horrible lift in the front end at that speed and wander all over.

the cars hes refering to both run solid 9.90s at 150 in the traps in the quarter mile and both have aprox 850 horses at the engine.

and weigh about 3300 pounds

both run arounsd 28 psi boost and a 100 shot of nos.

as for your combo you will need more head then a out of the box afr 220 .. go with the pre ported pro-1 from summit raceing a large solid roller and a healthy shot of nos and you can do it no problems ..

Just so you know to race those guys at there own game you are going to need to do some SEriOUS suspension work as walser and sw wont even race from less then a 70 mile per hour roll start ..

if you want to get into a real fast engine for a lot less then the one you are building I can hook you up as well ;) ..

the old engine in my car made 590 + horses on the motor and 750 + on the bottle and ran 9.72@143 useingaturbo 350 automatic a to small 750 carb and with only a 200 shot on it in my z ..

it is a 11-1 383 with dart conquest heads 4340 steel crank h beam rods solid roller etc .. i can provide more info if you are interested

i have voer 8000 in it and its totaly fresh from machine shop and im askin 5 k for it with sheet metal blancer flywheel and all only needs a carb and a distrib and nos kit and viola your done.

Guest zfan

I know SW from Austin. I bought my scarb Z from him 3 years ago. He's got like boat loads of money. He's royalty or something. He's go some badass toys!

Mike 2thumbs.gif

SW had a Hybrid Z?? Nice! Yeah, I don't know him personally but I have seen him around on different messageboards.. I know that some of his money comes from an exotic car dealership that he owns, but the rest of it is anyone's guess ;) Probably just really good investing. He owns several 454SS trucks, a 502SS, a Lightning, one or two Vipers, several Corvettes (at least one in the nines), a couple of Supras (at least one in the nines) and so on.... seems like a cool guy too.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by 1fastz:

...you do not want to be takeing a z much above 160 anyway they have horrible lift in the front end at that speed and wander all over...

...Just so you know to race those guys at there own game you are going to need to do some SEriOUS suspension work as walser and sw wont even race from less then a 70 mile per hour roll start...

can i get some more information on this? I would imagine that the car can be made stable at that speed (hopefully it's not a lost cause) what would I need to do?

Guest zfan

Nion, SW is related to royalty, his father married into it. Ive got friends that know him well and went to school with him.

My Father who is a Old Hot rodder knows SW, they run into each other in Austin Tx. Ive been to his shop. He used to be big into Vipers and then bailed on them for Z06's. He's got more freakin cars than carters got pills...Oh and HE DOES NOT LIKE TO LOSE!!! fmad.gif WIN AT ALL COSTS!!

Mike 2thumbs.gif