HybridZ

BRE 46 240Z Replica Started!!

rc's240z

For some time i have been collecting parts to build a BRE Z replica, today I moved my gutted 240z to the welding shop (PDK FAB) and spent 5 hours cleaning, and mocking up the drivers side race seat. next weekend will see the beginning of the roll cage and fabrication of the fuel cell. Photos to be added soon!!

I want to thank PDK Fabrication for their tireless help in making this a reality. Les Canaday of Classic Datsun for his professional advise, his effort to find the right parts for my restoration, and the introductions to Pete Brock, John Morton and Jerry Mason.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. The book "How to Hotrod and Race your Datsun" had some pictures of the extensive cage work done on those cars. Do you have more detailed information concerning all the supports? The set up is WAY too much for a street car, but I would love to get all the details. Would give me a better idea of where the Z weak points are.

Yes I do have the "how to modify Datsun, etc". The actual cage was very simple in the #46 car, really it was more of a roll bar. Les Canaday had a BRE roll bar out of the Ontario Pace car (fabricated by BRE) and it is very simular. I will be making a copy of that original bar and then adding some additional protection as the original car did not have, a full cage.

I think that the photos that you are referring to are of Bob Sharp's Z. He had a much more extensive roll cage in his early Z.

Ron

Guest JAMIE T

Very nice. Will the car be used for road race events or mostly just showed? I'd personally like to see it on the track whooping up on the competition.

Well it will be stock displacement, 2.4 60 over, Slover modified Head, 12 to 1 compression, close ratio over drive 5 spd and R190 w/ 4.44's so it will go pretty well. Most of the racers in my area are running some big motors, (Mistress motorsports 3.0L and John Coffey 2.8L injected) so if i can get John Morton to drive it i would have a chance...

The Goal is to have the car ready for the Z Car National show next year in LA. Les Canaday is in charge of the track day which will be at Willow Springs (not the streets of willow, but the big track). He working on getting quite a contigency of early racing Z's there along with most of the original race teams. It should be a great show!! Vegas was awesome a few years ago!!

Anyway, i will show it for a year or so then go out and play..cars like this are meant to be driven, not garaged.

Guest MistressMotorsports

Yeah, we all have big cheater motors (Coffey's is a 3.0 as well.) 'Course we're honest about it. The good news is that with a real 2.4, you will actually be in a different class than us "big bore" guys. Check out the HSR rules at HSR-westracing.com. For VARA, we're all illegal as they don't recognize the Z as a vintage race car, but we can run with them in a non-points class anyway. For the groups that run modern cars like TCRA, there is a displacement break somewhere between a 2.4 and a 3.0, so you will be in a different class there as well.

It will be fantastic to have another Z car, especially a (an?) historically correct one racing with us. If you have any questions on race prep that you can't get an answer to, just ask.

Can't wait to read up on progress, please keep us informed AND LOTS OF PICS.

Mike

Go get those Porsches/Jags/Lotus's in VARA and teach them a lesson!! "Datsun, every thing else is second!!"

I will keep you posted on my progress. It will be fun to be out with you guys soon.. I will probably run both VARA and HSR events, but i have ton of work to do first.

Ron

It ain't cheatin' if there ain't no rules or rule enforcement... :D

I love real vintage race Zs and almost went that direction with mine. Mark has a beautiful CP replica that was parked next to mine at the MSA show.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be there. Too much stuff to do in the shop and there's a night autocross Saturdayabout 10 miles east of Cal Speedway at the old Norton AFB. Until I get the new oil pmp in I'm limited to short bursts of power, no sustained high rpm load.

regarding your question about the CF dash we are looking at reworking our Mold and putting together a small production run. I will know more in a week or two.

We do have our prototype available if you are interested, it is the one in the photos and you can contact PDK Fabrication about that specific part.

Phone: 760-724-0144 ask for Mark..It might still be available.

I've been trying to decide on paint for my 240 for some time now, I think I'm gonna steal your idea and replicate the bre paint scheme, only using the factory origional red in place of the grand prix red used by bre, mine won't be an exact replica but close enough for those who remember them to know what I am doing

NEW Photos on my Member Galleries:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=6333

Check out my new photos, got the front hoop completed yesterday and I have posted new photos The Guys at PDK Fabrication have done real quality fabrication on my roll cage with swift precision and quality work. I can't say enough about the work that has been done.