HybridZ

Moderators and Administrators on a short fuse

Drax240z

Just a note here to the general Hybridz public. All the moderators and admins are on a short fuse these days, we seem to be innundated with idiotic posts on this site in the past month or two. We've had to ban some people lately as well, as they are ignoring our warnings. I think we're all on the same page, and at this point we aren't pissing around with warnings, we're just banning people who demonstate they have nothing constructive to add to the site. The rules are posted and are quite clear, so any obvious or deliberate deviation from these rules will be met with an iron fist.

Some may call us "commies" but we're simply trying to protect our wonderful site, and keep it from degenerating like many other forums on the internet. If you don't like it, see ya.

I suggest anyone in doubt as to what is allowed or not, read the following post:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24343

Thank you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that "short fuse" does not do justice to the task before the moderators. With the large number of posts averaged per day on this site, the need to follow protocol is more important now than ever before. The culture of Hybridz is one of unity, technical expertise, and above all, self-moderation, tempered with respect, and consideration of other member’s views and comments. The small amount of time it takes to evaluate one's own posts prior to posting (keeping in mind the correct forum, as well as acceptable content and grammar) goes a long way toward presenting Hybridz as a mature, intellectual, and high quality site. It has been a struggle for the moderators on this site to maintain this culture in a consistent and tactful manner, but I feel that they have been quite successful considering the growing pains and changes we have gone through over the years. As members of this forum, we individually should be drawn together to see that this site continue to be the best it can be, precluding minimal intervention by the moderators.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of the above posts. This is a serious tech oriented board, and it should stay that way. We don't want it to degenerate into some BS bLiNg crap. The mods have a tough job and they do it well. Common courtesy stuff like doing a search before posting, posting in the correct forum, and making posts clear and concise should be observed by all members. If not, the mods should broadside them. I also think self policing by members, within reason, is good for the general health of the herd.

If sTuNnahZ want to post ignorant crap about their mAd sKiLz, let them do it somewhere else.

John

Well, I for one am getting quite sick of the laziness of posters I've seen creeping in here over the past few months.

I'm for remapping the "Post New Topic" button to take people to "Search" instead. They'll think they're posting a question, but really the subject is used as the search term and they get a bunch of answers instead.

And why must everything be posted to the Chevy board? "My Z is rusty", "Which rear -end?", "Which brakes?" - all in the Chevy board. (Not to mention being topics that get beat to death)

Frustrating.

In otherwords: Short fuse equals good. Show no mercy. And thank you.

I'd like to voice my appreciation and applaud the moderators and all the members who do their best to keep this site unique/informative and humorous. I've browsed other automotive websites that condone harsh language and personal attacks on the members - browsing those sites make me uncomfortable. So, I feel privilged to be a member of this esoteric community. Thanks everyone!!!!

RacerX

I hadn`t realized we were having such a big problem with this. :? I guess I should pop in on some of the other threads more often to see what`s going on in other circles.

I agree that we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than the "other" boards. I think it`s what makes our hobby and community so appealing to those that are interested in cars and Z`s more specifically.

Keep up the good police work guys. :wink:

Other Sites ?????? I don't beleive that there could be another site that would compare to the tech info and help available here. I think the fact that I've seen posts here that start with "It's not something I'd do, but you might try ........" sums it up pretty well. People here will help with ideas even if they don't agree with it. What more could you ask for. All that's asked in exchange is a little courtsey.

Three cheers for the Moderators. :2thumbs::rockon::D

- Joe

I'd like to characterize the "new commitment" as one of having rules and enforcing them.

Someone recently wrote an ALL CAPS post in which he got a bit upset and decided to air his opinion in very harsh tones as to other's choice of the country of origin for engines for Z swaps. That was a blatant violation of Rule #1. That person has been banned - on the first offense. Even though some think they can just make harsh, flagrant rule-breaking posts and then ask forgiveness, I and, at least the other moderators that have dealt with this situation and made themselves heard feel that people who make rules offenses like this deserve no second chance.

This site is for those that can act maturely, follow the rules, and be held accountable for their actions. Yes, a very strange concept for an automotive-based Internet forum, but one that I hope we can be proud of.

It's about stinkin time.

I have tried to post and respond saying what is now in the "guidelines post" only to be rebuffed. I knew it was a matter of time before the moderators got annoyed enough to take similar action.

My approach has never been the nicest, but nice doesn't keep the site where it needs to be. I have said as much to some moderators only to be dismissed.

I'm sorry to see it had to get to this point for someone to finally start taking action. Hybridz has so much to offer and I am thrilled to see it should stay that way for a while.

Bravo - I think this is a move in the right direction.

-Bob

...And to take it a bit further and give you guys a heads up, We're moving in a direction back to our roots, which will likely do away with some of the catagories that are not, in the opinions of the admins and moderators, "Not within the original intent" of HybridZ. This will likely put off some, and out-right drive others away from the board. However, we are a V8 ZCAR site first and foremost. All ways have been, and always will be.

There are at least three other sites where one can find any and everything related to the L-based or unmodified Zcar, and for the "Nissan powerplant" only crowd.

MOST of the problems we've suffered in the last year have been from those younger members, and those new to Zcars, but not new to BBs on the web, yet to lazy to read the rules and understand that This site isn't a free for all. Quite frankly, we're tired of babysitting! :roll:

Mike

I'm very sorry to hear that you are moving away discussing Z's with L6's. I have always considered any Z with an engine swap a hybrid Z, whether or not it has a V8 in it or not. Brake swaps, suspension pieces swapped, etc - I was thrilled to find a site devoted to these things. I'm not sure how cutting out some of your forums is going to reduce the amount of idiots online - you're just going to get more incorrectly placed posts. But it seems like it IS guaranteed to get rid of some of your good posters. I hope this doesn't happen.

-Forrest

John, I've got a number of VERY good friends who are "L sixers". My comment was that there are other places on the web for those specific discussions and I'm not sure that they fit the mold here. Does that mean folks aren't welcome here? No, not the case at all.

We're talking about moving the discussion topics back to the direction of the original goal of this specific site.

Further, We have a problem with how things are going right now with regards to some of the "types" of membership we are attracting.

I'd not expect you, Doug Carrow, Jamie T. or other serious members who contribute so much technical info to bail because the RB or L forums disappeared.

Mike Kelly

I agree with you Mike, while there are many serious people on the RB board such as Stony, Brad D, Bob H, etc. that seems to be the section of the site that generates a ton of questions that could've easily been answered by the search function. Every time I check the RB section all I see is, "How much to put an RB26 in my Z?", "Does an RB26 fit in my Z?", "How fast will an RB26 make a Z?". It just seems like a section of the site that many dreamers tend to gravitate to and post ridiculous comments. Also, for the L6 people, there is more than enough information that can be accessed at Zcar.com, IZCC, and many more.

This brings up an interesting discussion. With a potential demise of RB and L series forums, where will that info go? Will they still be archived? I am willing to archive some of the RB info on my site if necessary,(and may anyways).

And Jay, I can't count the number of times I have come back with a "Do a search" to some idiot who was too lazy to do a seach of the RB forum and wanted the answers spoon fed to them. It is the "cool" engine to think about right now and is the most finacially out of reach for most. Sometimes I ruffled many feathers in the process, but as Mike and Richard have pointed out, it gets old after a while and eventually it has to be stopped.

There are at least three other sites where one can find any and everything related to the L-based or unmodified Zcar, and for the "Nissan powerplant" only crowd.

So, you're telling me to take a hike?

I agree something needs to be done, but loosing the L-series forum from this site isn`t it !

What about the Turbo / Supercharger forum ? It`s at least 75% L-series content.

And there is not a site better than this one for performance L-series mods.

Stock stuff, yes it can be found eles where.

Please think about this!

There are probly as many of us L-series guys here as there is V-8 and other swappers.

I have no problem with "what ever" swaps/mods are done to a Z car.

Weed out the bad and keep the good !

I don't think the issue is the number of topics on the site. The issue, as I see it, is how the site is used. Again, something like the Corner-Carvers Guide for Newbies (http://corner-carvers.com/wiki/index.php?Guide%20For%20Newbies) and a zero-tolerance moderation policy (which I'll be happy to help enforce) will resolve a lot of these issues.

The problem is the people not the content. Blaming the topics for some of the issues we have is like blaming guns for a high murder rate.

Guest Aaron

I wish to input my $0.02. I have long felt that we have too many forums here at HybridZ. I also think moving to a V8Z only site will do far more harm than good. There is far too much valuable information in some of our members to lose. Look at the engineering prowess of members like Scottie-GNZ and 240Z Turbo; consider the knowledge of members such as JohnC and DAW. Would we want to loose them or others like them because their cars don't meet a standard? We recently had a discussion concerning the "Us vs. Them" attitude toward ricers. Are we not creating that exact attitude between high performance Z enthusiasts?

Not wanting to complain without offering a solution, I submit my ideas for a revamp of the technical portion of the site.

1. V8Z Forum - This would be a consolidation of the current v8 sites. I think there are common problems with V8 swaps regardless of the engine make, besides there may be something to learn from a different group of people.

2. Turbo and Other Engine Forum - This would be a consolidation of the current L6, 6 Cylinder, RB, Turbo forums.

3. Misc. and High Tech Forum - These two are a natural fit because they tend to be the catch all for off the wall (albeit very cool) ideas.

4. Brakes, Wheels, Suspension, Chassis, and Rearend Forum - This forum is a consolidation of the BWSC forum and the Drivetrain forum. They are also natural fits because transmission questions tend to end up in the engine's forum, and rearend questions tend to fall in the suspension forum.

5. Paint, Body, and Kit Car - Can you guess what these consolidate?

I think the Ignition, Exhaust, EFI, Carburetor, and Troubleshooting forums should simply go away (with their information moved to a relevant forum) since they are not used frequently, and there topics can easily be covered in the other forums.