HybridZ

5.0L Install With Pics

JoshB 240Z

I used both the 5/8" support bearing and 5/8" U-Joint. I did use some aluminum tape wrapped on the steering rod as a bushing where my support bearing is located. Before I had the aluminum tape on the steering shaft the shaft would move just enough to give the steering an uneven feel as I turned it lock to lock.

For the water pump I went with a mid-80's LTD 5.0L water pump after reading that the impeller was less directional than the standard Mustang pump. I then plumbed a stock 280ZX radiator with long hoses (temporary solution). The engine has idled for fifteen straight minutes and been driven several times and I haven't seen any cooling problems.

Josh

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the 5/8" and if needed I will manufacture a bushing to take up the slack.

I can't finish the brake lines until I cut the steering shaft, and the motor and trans needs to be aligned before I can permantly mount the motor and trans. How does everyone go about making sure the alignment is correct to reduce driveshaft vibrations? I know about the plane of the tail shaft and the pinion of the diff but what about side to side? Sometimes the engine and trans appears not to be straight. What did y'all do to make sure the tail shaft is centered?

I did talk to March Performance about a pulley set. At first I was planning to go with the old style set up, only water pump, alt, and crank. The tech told me to go with a '85 Crown Vic water pump. Since then I have decided that I will go with a set up that includes a tensioner with the hopes that the car will have a super charger after a set of heads. I still have a lot to do before I even think about putting an alternator on.

To align the motor in the X-Y plane (looking down on it), I just measured the distance from the frame rails to the center of the crank in front, and from the frame to the center of the output shaft in the rear. My engine is centered so I needed 12.55 inches from frame to center. I used squares and level to assure that I was measuring perpendicular to the frame.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...