HybridZ

NEED HELP! new gland nut for strut housing won't tighten!

Hey Guys, I am replacing my old struts with aftermarket stock units from autozone(cheap). the new gland nuts that came with the new struts will tighten down some and then when I continue tightening will pop and then be loose again. These new nuts are threaded more than the old ones, don't know if that makes a difference. At any rate I cannot use the old gland nuts, they don't fit over the top of the cartridge. Any ideas here?

Thanks

Take the inserts out of the struts and inspect the threads in the strut. If they are not damaged, breath a sigh of relief. Inspect the threads on the replacement gland nuts. If they are damaged you either cross threaded them (easy to do) or they are bad parts from Autozone.

If the threads in the struts are damaged try one of the stock gland nuts without the insertss and see if it might thighten down. If not, new strut time. If it does tighten down, the Autozone gland nuts are wrong. Take them back, along with the inserts, and ask for a refund. Then go shopping at a better place.

Hmm... after I posted the first time I went back out and played with it some more and eventually it hooked one time and screwed down tight. so now I am doing the other strut and same thing this time! It will not tighten down. There is a gland nut, a spacer that slides on top of the cart. itself and then another washer. without either spacer the nut screws into the housing just fine but once I put the neccesary spacers on there it won't tighten down. Neither threads in strut or threads on gland nut appear damaged and the old gland nut screws in just fine. ideas?

I ran into the same problem. Figured out that the nylon washer that fit over the cart. had too big of an outside diameter, so I just put it on the grinder and ground off enough untill it fit inside the gland nut. Solved the problem for me.

!M!