HybridZ

3" Stainless down pipe photo

BRAD D

Stock downpipe is cast iron. It's an excellent material for turbo applications, but it's hard to fabricate custom stuff with it - more suited for casting and mass production. Stainless is the next best thing - it's not about heat dissipation, stainless is a poor heat conductor - it's about fabrication ease and heat resistance. Unprotected mild steel will not last long.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SS 2 1/2" DP i made just fits between the T5 and tranny tunnel. I could have probably made it out of 3" if i had made the bends a little sharper and figure out a way to get to the flange bolts once the 3" pipe is welded to it (possibly a custom flange adapter) but i wanted the smoothest flow i could. I used 2-45deg bends. Brad, your pipe looks great. Maybe i'll get up off my lazy butt and make a few for the T5 users. Very nice work man.

5226DP_Compare.jpg

• 1 month later...

JAMIE T, I get the flanges laser cut. The laser dose not like 1/2" thick stainless so I weld two 1/4" ones in to one 1/2" thick one> And yes I could sell them to you I will just have to look at how much I get them for.

szlash280z, I can't get all the parts in aluminized sorry, what kind of tranny do you have?

Guest szlash280z

I have a stocker and plan on leaving it as a stocker. All you can get is stainless? I thought there were places to get aluminized mandrel bends?

cool dp

i'd buy it..275 is an awesome price for a stainless dp that should flow as well as that one.

little bit OT but what do you think about making a n/a equal length header out of stainless?

I'd so buy that =)

• 2 weeks later...