HybridZ

looking for light weight ~200hp engine ideas

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dan0myte

Yes, the 20V is better. But it's also a bigger pain to install and costs more than the basic 4AGE. For a maximum of 200hp, the 20V head isn't really worth all the hassle.

the 20v might scream, but thats all it does.

4age screams too, not too quick though,

had an 85 mr2, and I couldnt get that thing to out run anything...

but I was liking being able to powershift at 7500-you know I waited until fuel cut to do so!

200hp is streetable limit for na, and you would get about 2000 rpm of powerband.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest plainswolf

A Mazda rotary, I agree!

It is an excellent compact, lightweight powerplant.

All up, dry weight of a post 1985 6-port 13B rotary engine is about 360lbs.

With a Dellorto intake and small-tube headers with mufflers, the power output is right at about 200HP.. with a slight 'street port' job done to it, it will gain another 20+hp.

And oh man can they wind up! They don't call it "the poor man's turbine" for nothing :shock: They can sustain high RPM usage very reliably.... alot better than a reciprocating engine.

Now the reason I say a post 1985 roatary is the most desirable is because beginning in 1986 Mazda switched from a 4 port design to a 6 port design which gave the engine much greater low-end torque without sacrificing top end power.

Do an internet search for alternative aero engines.. as they are used more and more for that purpose with far lless modifications than a reciprocating engine requires for such.

And in terms of aero use, power to weight ratio is not only desirable, but critical.

Hmm.. I know that the 80s-mid 90s Volvo Turbo engines (2.3 4 cly) are EASILY good for 200+ HP with a bit of a tweek on the boost (manual boost controler, computer/wiring tricks), they are reliable/strong turbos, and good on fuel. ALSO: they moved around 3400 Lb VOLVO STATION WAGON's pretty good.. imagine the fun in a Z! Just my opinion. A must confess as well, I am a Volvo lover. :oops: oh well.. Im a freak.

I actually have a friend with an 80's 740 Turbo. With stock everything, except for blow off valve and boost controller, he made 165HP and 215 lbft of TQ at the rear wheels. That is with a dying motor and turbo. Not bad.

My dad and I were thinking about that Hayabusa motor. I think one of our next projects is going to be an original Mini Cooper with a Busa motor. They can handle boost with a decent build too. Some bikes put out more than 500HP to the wheel. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

I don't why more people haven't said a rotary. Small, light, compact, and supposedly very reliable when NA. RX8 rotary anyone?

Rotary's are compact but the intake makes them bulky. They are very simple but the cast iron front, mid and end housings make them heavy. Alum housings are available but big $$$. They do rev free but have little torque so you must always play in the high rpm range. Launching with high RPM takes its toll on the clutch. Parts for rotaries are only made by a few companies. I've ordered parts from atleast 4 and they all came with mazda OEM packaging and part#'s (monopoly anyone).

With that said I've been driving a rotary powered car for 10 years nearly every day. My project car has a very common nissan engine in it.