HybridZ

SDS question, big backfire on hot starts

Kennysgreen280zt

Hey all, I am in the process of tuning my SDS all up and I have run into a problem. When I have been hot starting it the last two days, it has let out a huge, shotgun sounding, backfire out the exhaust. no error codes, and non of the programming seems to be out of whack (ie everything is still pretty close to what SDS gave me). the START function is set at 0 for the temp range it is usually in when its hot. I have double checked the intial timing to make sure the hall sensor hadnt moved any, no difference. The car runs great otherwise and I am really happy with the SDS. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to make it stop back firing on hot start it would be great.

My car is running 440cc supra injectors, stock turbo, 3" DP, and 3" exhaust. Just to share :D

Doug, I have *just* installed a fuel pressure gauge and havent even had a chance to fire the car up yet. Just out of curiousity, how quick of a bleed down are we talking here? like just a few seconds after shut off, or like 5 min after? I wont be able to get around to fooling with the car untill sunday so I will repost my findings then.

Drax, I found 2 plugs at the local pick n pull that look like they will work. If you want them, let me know via email Fiestaboy80@hotmail.com They came off of a trecel I think, and they werent the main fuel injector plugs, but for something else under the hood. There was no motor in the car so I really cant say what they even went to. The injectors do lock into them nicely though.

Thanks for all the sugestions so far!

~Kenny

Sorry Kenny - I don't have an exact time for you as I have only had a FP gauge on my car for a couple years. I had a stock injector stick once in a while and cause a backfire on startup. I went with 550cc injectors and haven't had any more backfiring. I know that my rail holds pressure for a couple hours at least. The gauge is at zero after overnight though.

Hope this helps - Doug