HybridZ

Manual Valve Body for the 700R4 - Should I go for it?

Andrew Bayley

I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences with fully manual valve body, automatic transmissions. I am currently at my whits end with a 700R4 that refuses to stay in second gear, even though the shifter is in the first gear positions.

I've rebuilt the valve body myself twice (second time was just a pull apart and check my previous job), and have spent countless hours verifying the cable position. Everything looks good to the best of my knowledge. Right now, I'm guessing that I probably over looked something very small in the valve body that is causing the transmission to automatically shift into 2nd on its own.

So this brings me to my current solution to this problem... switch to a fully manual valve body. I've never been impressed with many automatic valve bodies (i.e. shift delay time), and my 700R4 is no exception. Is the manual shifting going to be too much of a pain in the butt for street driving? It's not really a daily driver anymore, but I do still go for quick runs around town.

The part I'm looking at is a TCI unit that has a fully manual reverse pattern valve body. Cost is about $250 (average valve body of $150 + 700R4 Premium Fee of $100 :roll: ). If this was your situation, would you consider it?

-Andy

Indeed, it has been a while.

And yes, that dash is (mostly) crack free. It has one small hair line crack, but that was only from when I rolled over my second Z at +100 mph. That dash has seen three Z cars now. Truly a legend unto itself!

I've got a friend who is building an '87 RX-7 for the Grassroots $2004 challenge. I told him I would run his 302 powered Mazda against my 350 powered Datsun (I figured it would be pretty fitting), motor vs. motor... no psssht - psssht for me! He's hoping for mid - low 12's, so it should be a good race.

...In fact, this is the same guy (Jeremy) that originally bought the yellow hulk off you. It's a small world, eh?

-Andy