HybridZ

camshafts

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering what camshaft and head combos you guy and gals are running. I have a set of Chevy 292 Turbo castings with extensive porting. This was the "hot ticket" 20 years ago. The camshaft is an Extreme Energy Com Cams Hyd 294. The car seem sluggish and does not seem to ever "get on the cam". The car has run a best of 12.08 et with a 1.79 60 ft. Rest of combo is flat top JE pistons, with CR of 10.25:1.00, 6 inch rods, victor jr. holley 750, 3000rpm stall and 3.90 gears.

Car is heavy at 3005lbs with driver, roll cage gas etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.

My setup is using a stroked shortblock (383) with 10.1:1 compression. I'm using an ISKY roller Hydraulic cam with 1.5 roller rockers. Cam specs are dur. 284/292 (I get that mixed up some times) and lift is 530/550 with lobe sep. of 110 degrees. The heads are Dart Conquest aluminums with 2.05/1.60 valves with a port matched victor Jr. intake.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited September 03, 2000).]

Guest Fast Frog

As you well know, cam selection depends upon your use and application. My supercharged 383 ZV8 has a Crane hdr roller 214/222 @ 0.050 lift and .488/.509 total lift. It's a great street cam with gobs of low end torque (450-475@ 3500) but it dies @ 5700+. If I were racing, I'd probably go with a longer duration cam, but its streetability would be suspect.

I am using Dart Heads 2.05/1.60 with 215cc

runners, they are small chamber, and they have been ported to match a Brodix HV1 pro

bracket dual plane intake. My cam is solid roller 284/288 duration and .576/.567 lift.

I am using 1.65 ratio rockers which brings the lift up to .609 on the intake side..

with a stock converter you can punch it and it takes off pretty hard, then when it hits 3000 it breaks the tires loose... best 0-60 time so far is 4.51 sec. I also did 1.79

60 foot at the track BUT it wasnt tuned properly and it broke the diff on that run....

Call the tech line at comp cams early (from my experience, techie burn out is a problem late in the day) Have your vehicle specs ready, weight, gearing, compression, carb, intake, heads, etc. and they will give you a cam recommendation. See if it is similar to the one you installed. Also might give you advice on advancing or retarding. I could never find an off the shelf grind to fit my needs so they have custom ground my last two. Two thumbs up!

JS

I'm the oddball here, but I thought I'd post anyway....

My "set back rat" Z has a 454 BB from a Suburban (1978). I installed a Comp Cams "Extreme Energy" hydraulic flat-tappet 218/224 (@0.050") .504/.510 lift, 110 degree lobe separation. It's relatively mild for an engine that big. But, with stock rockers, I'd run out of rocker slot gap with a larger lift cam. And the bone-stock heads are probably no good above 5000 rpm anyway.

Now here's a question for the experts: to get heads with relatively small-area ports and small valves to breathe better in the midrange (I got the low end covered, and don't have high aspirations for high-rpm performance), is an otherwise too big cam (high lift) a good idea?