HybridZ

1JZGTE VVTi conversion

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

I'll be interested in this answer too! I've got a lot of custom pipe work (internally ceramic coated), which I don't want to lose, and also I want to keep it stock looking..

I have two options as far as I can see, Blitz K1 replacement turbos, which are reasonably cheap, will allow me to raise boost, but are still ceramic. Or turbo technics hybrid turbos, which I can get made in the UK. Unfortunately I don't know of either being used and tested .There are a couple of soarer/supra owners in the uk that have the hybrids, but haven't been dynoed.

The most important thing is a custom Y pipe, thestandard one that the turbos dump into is meant to be very constrictive...

Any ideas majik?

Does anyone know of any good 1JZ sites either, very difficult to get info for!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn straight about thay y pipe, dont do a turbo upgrade without it. I had one custom made, it helped tremendously. it went from almost no lag, to no lag, a 1jz with a y pipe and 3inch exhaust, turbo back, feels like its super charged...

I actually sent my turbo's off to turbo technics for the hybridz to be made, and during the process, i sold the car, however when the turbos arrived from the uk, i did get to put them on the car and drive it, I was pushing the stockers to make 400rwhp on a us dyno, which is like 360ish on a uk dyno, I ran the hybridz at 18psi, which i was assured would be fine, and it was significantly faster, a little more lag, but it got moving fast enough. I have installed a blitz twin k3t kit ona friends sc300 with a 1jz, basically a soarer, and it was a bit laggier than the hybrids, but it was much faster, pulled through redline. a friend with a 1jz out in texas, now maryland, had the blitz kit on a 1jz, but he used the 2jz bottom end ( a 1.5jz) he made 556rwhp on a us dyno, and pulled an 11.2 with a 75 shot of giggle juice. I hope that helps...

However, i started thinking, my best buddy has a 1jz mk3 supra here in atlanta, he runs a 3037s kit from hks, it looks fantastic and id rather have his set up than the other two. but it dont look stock. I plan on running something similiar in mine when I swap it from the 7m to the 1jz. Medium sized singles work fantastic, and his 3037 has some wierd trims, it has a VERY small compressor compared to a pretty large hot side. but his car scoots pretty damn good. Seems to me you both dont want to have anything that looks all crazy though, but personally, if you can bring yourself to put a small single on it, it would be very very cool, hell a t04e should break 400 by a good bit at high boost.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

I'm thinking for a small single, since that would probably be easiest to fit in the engine bay, and still get a good amount of power. I hear that a 7M transmission is a close fit for the engine, so if I bought a 1JZ with an auto, and then do a tranny swap, would I be saving any money, or should I wait to find a 1JZ with a 5-speed. Only one major problem I see with the tranny swap idea, i would have a spare auto sittin around.

Some great replies there thanks !!

Ben Ellis the previous owner recommended a HKS3040 as he (at HPI mag) made 580Hp and still made 1bar of boost by 3500rpm. I think I would be worried about other things breaking at that kind of HP though!

Is the blitz twin k3t kit a standalone (e.g. comes with manifold wastegates etc.) or a bolt on like the K1s? I planning to keep stock looking not only because of the custom pipework, but also to keep the insurance man at bay :wink:

great to hear you tried out the hybrids tho majik, hope someone in the UK gets them dynod soon!

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

More plumbing than a Super Mario game. Now I'm gonna go back on record to see how many pipes where in Super Mario Bros. for the NES. Looks like I'm probably gonna get a custom Y-pipe and most likely a small or medium sized single with, just as majik said, no lag so it feels like the car is supercharged. Now all I gotta do is find all of the stuff and buy it.

Guest 1JZGTEVVTi

Should I go witha half cut from a soarer or 2.5 liter Supra, or just go with the individual engine? I'm guessing the half cut would be better, and if I do get one, where is the best place, or just where can I get a half cut?

I just recently bought a 1JZ engine with 5 speed transmission. I'm going to put it into a 78 280Z. I was wondering if someone had some info on bolting this motor and transmission into the vehicle? Also if anyone has information about wiring up these engines?

Wiring fun stuff. The 1jz harness is pretty complicated, so its a ton of fun. I would suggest to make life as easy as possible, to hook up all aftermarket gauges to it, but there is a sensor on the back of the tachometer that will come with the clip you will have to wire in somehow. Also, buy a supra clip, no traction control or added "fun stuff" to further complicate matter, its the raw version of the motor, which is really what you are after. No need for a clip unless you just want a stock Ic, Radiator, etc etc.. because all that will have to be custom done anyhow, might as well buy a nice frount mount core and a good radiator., as long as you have the Ignitor, motor, tranny, ecu, harness,map sensor, you are good to go. Cant think of anything else really, but you can use a 2jz map sensor if you have some sort of a/f tuner. the mounts shouldnt be too hard to make. I made a cradle and a tranny mount for my set-up which is almost identicle to the 1jz ones, except i used pre 89 supra motor mounts, which are a little different than 89+ (fluid filled).

What exactly does this sensor do? I have heard of other vehicles that will not start unless the tach gets a reading. Is this the same kind of sensor that you're talking about? What kind of gauges are you using? Did they pretty much just plug up to the existing harness or was there cutting and splicing?

some japanese cars have three types of fuel/ignition cut as to the 2 we are used too, we are used to a speed cut (when a speed limiter is active) and a Boost Cut ( when boost creep too high). The Japanese car has a Tach cut (the name me and friends give it) which as far as we can tell, matches up the rpm point to a given amount of boost, a/f ratio, fuel delivery etc.. if any of these points are off, the car wont rev past 3000ish rpms. Some people doing the 1jz swap in to supras forget to swap the tach, therefore no signal is scene, and the ecu cuts ignition (the biggest mistake made in the swap). The only ways to get rid of it as far i know is to a) use a standalone/aftermarket ECU or B) just use the Guts of the 1jz tach. ITs not a constant 12v or whatever sensor, it works on a range. There would be some cutting and splicing involved, but not too terribly much. mostly you would just have to lengthen the stock wiring harness, but the entire 1jz harness is made factory with sheilded cable, so it becomes quite a pain to re-do, as you cant just splice in 3 inches of wire.

The engine in my car was from a supra, but went aftermarket ECU straight off.. I think its a better option in the long run, especially if you are be doing mods on a gradual basis like I plan on doing... you can then just keep tuning with what you have..

I think it is worth doing the front mount intercooler decent exhaust etc. whilst you're at it too. I just wish they'd done the Y-pipe on my engine before they fitted it. I heard its a bit of a job to get the standard one off, is this true majik?

I think blkmgk still hosts the article on my car, some useful info about mounts in it. http://www.blkmgk.com Would have been easier to use stock (R154) tranny though IMO.

no way!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta see it!

I was thinking that there must be a vid of my car out there.. its got a couple of 'drift tengoku' stickers on it so thought could be on one of them.. is it a jap or aussie vid? where can I get it??? :-D:-D

Definatly Aussie, its a purple box, its called Serious Performance 5 then it says australias best selling hi tech fast car video. pictures on front of a rotary wagon thats green, a crazy looking suzuki turbo, and the jun evo 5. looks like it is a series, serious performance one and 2 it says fours and rotaries real big under them, then it starts with big numbers next to serious performance... i dont know if any of this will sound familiar, seems to me it should be a pretty well known aussie video series, which means it should definatly be available in the uk.

Im not expert on the 1JZVVTi, but I think that one of the main obstacles is the wiring. From what I hear it is a bit more complex than the normal 1JZ.

I have a 1JZ sitting in my garage that I am putting in my 260Z. Due to lack of funds and time though, the furthurst I've gotten with the project is pulling the L28 out and putting a new harness on the 1JZ :(

Hopefully in a month or so I should be able to get stuck into it.

PhilUK,

try http://www.toymods.org.au they have the most knowledgable ppl (who speak english anyway) in regards to 1JZ and toyo motors in general.

btw Phil...your engine mounts....I would love to get some pics of them :)

I talked to rocco's some time ago, but they couldnt make me a set, (my car is in Qld, they are in NSW), so pics of your mounts would really help my project along :)

Cheers!