HybridZ

Ford vs. Chevy - Battle of the Brands!

Andrew Bayley

Ford vs. Chevy - Battle of the Brands!

Well, after about a three year break from the action, I was finally able to muster up some motivation and pull my Z to the track. It took about a month of constant badgering from a friend of mine who recently built a 302 powered Mazda RX-7 (for the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge). Late last week, I pulled the old girl from her sleeping bag, slapped some new tags on the plates and took her out for some quick testing.

Lately, I've been pulling out my hairs trying to track down a valve body problem that stemmed from a very poor transmission rebuild some cowboy did for me. Essentially, the transmission will automatically shift into second gear... even when the gear shifter is in the first gear position. I tried everything to fix this problem. I was under that car adjusting the shift cable, TV cable, you name it. Nothing has worked. Anyway, I figured I would simply let the transmission shift on it's own at the crappy 4500 default setting (I usually shift at about 6300).

Now my buddy's RX-7 is an 1987 model with a 302 Furd V8 mated to a T-5 tranny. The engine originally came with the speed density fuel injection system, but that was ripped off and replaced with a single plane and holley 600 vac. secondary. My friend was pretty confident that he could, at least, keep up with my Chevy 350 powered Z car assuming I didn't spray any gas or use slicks. Sounded like a good old fashioned drag race to me, off to the track we went!

My first run was a MAJOR disappointment. That "little" trans problem I was having turned out to be a much bigger thorn in my side than originally thought. The transmission had shifted into second gear at a whopping 2800 rpm. I still was able to beat the little 302 RX-7, but not by much. My sixty foot time was a blistering 2.224 seconds, and the quarter mile E.T. was 13.106 but my MPH was up there at 109 mph. Jer's Rx-7 ran a 13.401 @ 104 mph with a 1.868 sixty foot (that little cheater showed up with Nitto Drag Radials!!!)

Back to the pits I went where I "tricked" the transmission by extending the TV cable out more than it should have been. This time at the lights, I was able to shift into second at 5500 rpm. Still not where it should be, but enough to actually yield a 1.909 sixty foot time (on hard as a rock street tires none the less!!!) and a 12.505 @ 110 mph. Jer knocked a few tenth's off his time as well at: 13.211 @ 106 (it was getting cool out) but obviously couldn't quite keep up with Big Blue! I sent his butt back to Dearborn, with tail between his legs!

All in all, it was good fun. Jer and I have been grudge racing just about everything with an engine since we got our drivers licenses. I only shudder to think what his next creation will be.

Jer trying to look all tough...

47b3ce32b3127cce8fa97f8152cc0000001610

The smile of a winner!

47b3ce32b3127cce8fa97fb4d3c90000001610