HybridZ

$5000 budget project?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

smile.gif Hello there, this is only mi second post here and I'm thinking about doing the chevy V-8 conversion to my '73 240z but..... I need you guys to help me make some desicions. The thing is that I don't know anything about car mechanics, (since I'm 19 and i never got the oportunity to learn)that's problem No. 1. The second porblem is that I already read the JTR Datsun V-8 conversion book and I understud somethings but now I'm confused.I don't Know what engine to buy or what transmission to use. I know that if I use a computer controled engine I'm gonna have to do more wireing and stuff and i don't want that. And I don't know what transmission to use if i want my engine to have around 300-350 HP. Another problem is that I don't know where to get the engine. Should I get an engine from a wrecking yard or buy a complete engine from Jegs or something like that?

My last problem is that I only have $5000 to spend and I don't know if it's gonna be enough money to do this conversion. I want an engine and transmission combo that will fit my needs. But i also don't want the conversion to get more expensive and complicated.

If somebody could just guide me to what can I do, I will be very thankful. :confused:

Johnathan,

You need to find someone local that will be willing to take you under their wing and give you good guidance and active help when you get to the tough parts. If you want to hire someone to do the work figure that labor will equal or exceed the equipment costs. That means, at best, you only have enough for $2,500 in parts. If you do all the labor yourself then the full amount is available for parts. Lets talk parts. The engine and transmission are just part of the equipment costs. You will have a new fuel pump and fuel lines. Does your car have AC? that would be a cost. If you go with a manual transmission you'll probably have to change out the master cyclinder for the clutch. You'll have to have a custom exhaust fabricated. You'll need a custom drive shaft and maybe a new differential. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Take your time - do research - figure out exactly what you want to do and what will be required to accomplish that. Then keep going and get equipment costs, new - used - etc. It will take a while but you will eventually get there. Determine the cost before you walk the plank.

I second what Phantom said. Parts will add up quickly. I just dropped another $500 on my car the other day and I haven't even pulled the inline 6 yet. I will soon. I've got all my major parts together except the JTR kit, headers, and 2 new front struts.

If I were you I would look for a complete car, and learn from there. If it's not set up the way you like or does'nt run the way you want it to fix it. I feel this would be the most effective method for learning how to work on cars. That is basically how I did it. Just be patient 5K is a good deal of cash and I'm sure a car will come along eventually. You may have to travel out of town to get it but take your time, check it out ask questions here and you'll do fine.

OR

Jump in the deep end and wind up selling the project before it's complete. Tossing your 5+K away to the low bidder. I failed to ask, do you have tools or access to them? You'll need quite a few. That is one reason my build has taken so long, collecting tool to do the job right.

Which ever you decide have fun with it and good luck.

David

Jonathon if you haven't read thru the old posts on this site I would highly recomend doing so.

There is an amazing amount of info here.

Buying a car that is already running or close to it is a great way to get started. Watch e-bay and the local auto trader papers.Check into any local street rod or street machine clubs most of the time the members are very helpfull. And keep posting here, this is one of the best places to find help. Good Luck, Tom

He is right if you realy want to do the job you can do it. There are a number of people in California that have made the switch. I don't want to see you spend most of your money and get stuck and discouraged. Some of you people in California help this guy out. Find you a Z clup in your area.

Here is a club in Southern Calf.

http://www.socalz.org/

Jonathan,

Let me make some “do as I say, not as I did” assertions....

There are some excellent deals of V8 Z’s out there, but from my experience, they are rare. Before I moved to Ohio, I spent about 5 years in LA. Every week I would look for Z’s in the Recycler. Typically, there would be at least one V8 conversion for sale every week. And typically, every one of them would be an abandoned project, or a “running” conversion that runs even worse than stock. One time I drove a "Nordskog" conversion that was for sale - the poor thing accelerated worse than my Corolla, and the brakes were scary even at 15 mph! I have not seen Aaron240Z’s car – it may be exceptional. But it seems to me that if some one pours his spirit into doing a good engine swap, why would he sell the product of his labor, knowing that such a sale nets only pennies on the dollar spent? There are other exceptions, such as when Jim Biondo “got tired” of his immaculate V8 Z some years back, but how often do those come up? Most of the conversions that I saw for sale would have cost more time and money to correct, than it would cost to start from scratch. And if you’re just looking for a source of swappable drivetrain, find a dilapidated Detroit product with a 350. They are not as common as the magazines claim either, but they are out there.

A conversion is a difficult procedure. No doubt about it. But my impression is that the main reason that so many folks on this site (including me!) are bogged down in multi-year conversion projects is not because of the swap itself, or because of engine tuning, but because they are making radical modifications to the rest of the car. It begins something like this: you get a good deal on a tired Z. Then you start pulling trim and carpeting, unbolting body panels, scraping off insulation, just to see how the metal really looks. And behold, there’s rust under the battery tray, and in the frame rails, and in the wheel arches, and under the hatch lip,.... “Man, a stout V8 car won’t work with a frame like that!” And so, out comes the sawzall, the channel-lock pliers and metal sheers, and the welder. The coil springs? They sag – so they too need replacement. And to fit those big wheels, you’d get coilovers. The sway bar? Too soft, of course. But the frame rails are too weak to take the reaction from a stiffer bar, so there’s some more frame reinforcement to do. The half shafts? Too weak for that magic 400 or 500 hp. So they to get replaced. And on and on and on. These are all worthy challenges to undertake, but they are for the experienced hot rodder.

My point: if you begin with a solid foundation, a proven foundation – you will be vastly further ahead when you finally do the swap. Don’t let installation of the V8 explode into an all-out struggle to build a killer race car (trust me, I speak from experience!). So what does this mean for a fellow that’s just learning about auto mechanics? In my opinion, it means this: drive what you have for now. Learn its weaknesses. Make small, gradual changes, like those springs, or the brakes, or an upgrade of the gauges. But keep the thing driveable all along, and hold off on that swap. That way, you will learn from low-risk mods at a gentle pace, you will gain confidence, and you will have a worthy foundation when you’re finally ready to make the leap into V8-world – your car will be ready, and you will be ready.

Whereas if you begin with some one else’s half-baked conversion, suddenly you have a heap of some one elses’s problems to deal with – hidden, annoying problems with unfamiliar components. And you will be dealing with high expectations (it is, after all, a V8 Z, right?), which would make it difficult to concentrate on meticulous, patient repairs.

Guest jwelch

Jonathan,

First welcome to the board. I agree with some of what Michael said but not everything. Not all V8 projects are halfway. I bought my 280Z already converted for 4500.00. It was in excellent shape although the engine was not as streetable as I wanted. So I've preceeded to drop another 5K in the car since then. I've had my car for sale a few times for about 1/2 of what I have into it. Everyone is always interested but money is an issue.

Some people get tired of projects because the $$$ add up quick. In my case I thought I was done at 4500 and now I'm at 10K, still working on little tweaky things.

As you know the economy is hurting at the moment and people may be forced to sell things they normally wouldn't. Many Z guys want to see their babies go to other Z guys.

I would be patient and look for one converted especially since you are new at this. You can start to learn and drive what you have when you get it. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck 2thumbs.gif

Regards,

Guest Anonymous

Michael has good points...always be as informed as you can be when buying anything.

the 240 in my possession is complete minus motor but the conversion has already been done...

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Thanks to all of you that helped me clear up my mind. I will follow some of the advice that Michael said.It seams the best thing for me to do right now. And thanks again!!! I'll be seeing you guys later on when I have some more questions. smile.gif2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

As Michael said, the swap part of it is relatively cheap, but theres so much more to it. Re-engineering a car gets expensive in time and money and thats what has to be done essentially to make it safe.

I thought otherwise and I was wrong, it cost me much more and because of that, I'm at a quandry really right now myself.

I can put way more money into it, deal with smog in my new home state of Az and live with it, or I can pull my drivetrain and all the good stuff thats non Z that I put in the car and cut my losses and put the drivetrain into something older that will maybe get my money back out if I wanted to (which will still cost yet again more money).

Don't get me wrong, its way fun to drive, handles good and gets ok mileage for a V8 car, but if you decide to do the swap, research what you really want, and understand that to do it right, the word (IMHO) 'Cheap' is only 'Cheap' initially, to fix it all right and do it all, it ain't 'Cheap'. No, I'm not selling mine yet, but theres a good chance at some point in the next year I'll have a shell or some parts for sale in Az., this divorce stuff really took the wind out of project lone z's sails unfortunately. Oh well, easy come, easy go. :D

Anyway, Michaels suggestions were very good advise, pay heed to it. :D

Regards,

Lone