HybridZ

Nissan/Datsun Y40 V8?

David K

Im picking up info here and there, and it seems like Kaiser or Packard were having their engines built in Japan and shipped over to the US. Nissan used the engine they were sending in the President.

"January 9 1958

Japanese Cars Arrive in California

The Toyota and Datsun (later Nissan) brand names made their first appearances in the United States at the Imported Motor Car Show in Los Angeles, California. Previously, these auto makers had sold in the U.S. only under American brand names, as part of joint ventures with Ford and GM."

If this is true, then it will be easy to find parts to rebuild this engine. I need to put it in the back of the truck, and drive around to local v8 gearhead shops and ask questions.

i have seen one of them being put into a 260z in australia, the bloke (a s s h o l e - Long story) bought it, it was efi and he had a carbie manifold lieing around for it which he put on the engine.

Never saw the car finished, i think he lost the plot

but thats all i know

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

President H150 1965 Y40

V8 - type

3988cc - displacement

92x75 - bore/stroke

195 HP - HP

237 ft/lb - Torque

9.0:1 - Comp ratio

That's a 3.622 Bore and a 2.953 Stroke for about 243 cubic inches.

Should be a nice reving engine.

• 2 months later...
Guest nikko74z

anymore info on this thing. I am waiting on my machine guy to finish his magic on mine. I am looking for a five speed for mine with no luck though. Things are going slow right now since I am preparing my car for the Big Bend Open Road Race in april.

anymore info on this thing. I am waiting on my machine guy to finish his magic on mine. I am looking for a five speed for mine with no luck though. Things are going slow right now since I am preparing my car for the Big Bend Open Road Race in april.

nikko, if i can get over to the garage sometime this week, ill post pics of the custom bellhousing that came with the thing. The front half of the front bellhousing is from the President automatic, and the rear of the front bellhousing is from a regular datsun Z 4/5 speed tranny. Right now there is a 4 speed mated to the v8, i can slip the custom bellhousing of and put it on a datsun Z 5 speed, and have a 5 speed V8.

• 10 months later...

Hello all. Im starting to source parts and take stuff apart. I know its been a long time since i picked up the engine. Im going to be examining parts and comparing with domestic market after market parts. Maybe ill be able to rebuild the engine with high compression pistons, rods, and get some headwork done. Ill try to bring more info as i get into this engine.

Guest bastaad525

I seem to recall seeing pictures of the President V8 with two turbochargers hanging off either side, maybe in an old issue of Z car magazine, I'm not sure, but I do believe the engine used by paul newman in the newman/sharp 280zx was a twin turboed president engine.

And about Pierre... I have to say, as busy as that guy is, he has got to be one of the friendliest, easiest to talk to guys in the Z scene, at least, that I have had the pleasure of dealing with. Even when I was just buying a cam from him, he had no problem sharing almost an hour of his time over the phone with me discussing my setup and Z 'trivia' in general. Very, very cool guy.

I have no idea how my location was switched :D

Anyway, davidu from zcar.com is sourcing some soft parts ie head gaskets and what not. He says the y40 engine came in some trucks and limos and parts are available from Nissan Australia...also thanks to Tony D! Ill see how much $ they are and how much shipping is going to be. Im certain ill get this thing built. I guess i can post some pics tommorow if you guys wanna see the setup.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FreeThinker

Yea, the 1981 Bob Sharp Racing 280zx driven by Paul Newman was powered by a twin turbo President V8 making over 700hp apparently but wasn't reliable and the block liked to crack at very high boost. A member on here has some great articles from Road & Track on the car, here's the link to his gallery.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=155

And here's a nice cutaway of the car itself:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=669&sort=1&size=big&cat=500

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=670&sort=1&size=big&cat=500

-Sean

Guest FreeThinker

Also, look into Rover's V8 engines. They made Pushrod V8's from I think 3.0-4.6 Liters and a lot of Japanese engines were patterned after European stuff more than American designs.

The Toyota 4A-GE is basically a rip-off of a Cosworth-Ford design from what I understand, and apparently the L series nissan engines were heavily influenced by mercedes OHC engines of the 50's and 60's.

-Sean

• 3 months later...