HybridZ

Exhaust size help needed

Guest autocroos76

Guest autocroos76

Once again I have been given bad news. After working in my car all summer to gey my 406ci sbc and turbo 350 trans in, I got the car off the jack stands. Now my problem, I had intended to run twin 2.5 inch exhaust pipes exiting out before the rear tires on each side. Well measuring from the frame rail to the ground I only have 4 inches of clearance. My plan is now to run a y-pipe to single exhaust pipe to exit at the rear like the factory pipe did. My question, what size should the pipe be to equal the two 2.5 inch pipes? And who has done this before?Thanks. BTW I have full legnth MSA headers, 3 inch collectors with 2.5 inch adaptors.

Guest autocroos76

I had to get the flanges cut and angled downward to clear the floor pans. My car has been lowered almost 2 1/2 inches which poses some of the problems here. Also I contacted MSA and they told me that nobody has told them that thier full legnth headers don't fit. Has anybody called them?

I have the msa full lengths also and i think i might have the same problem with them being too close to the floor pans. :( I havent measured yet, but from the looks of it, they're pretty damn close. I was also planning on going with a y-pipe and a single 3.5"pipe into a borla xr1 muffler.

I've got the full length MSA's and had to do a bit of modifying (i.e. hammer!) to the floor boards. The passenger side needed the most hamme... uh, modifying. They will fit.

Currently I am running 2 and 1/4 " pipes into a single 3". The two pipes Y together about half way between the trans and differential. I used the pre-fabricated flowmaster Y-pipe that Summit sells. It made the exhaust job MUCH easier, I highly recommend it. I do believe that make a 2.5" to 3.5" Y-pipe which would be more suitable for the 406c.i. My 3" is not enough for my 358 at 6200 RPM's. :cry:

As for MSA claiming nobody has ever complained about the full lengths not fitting... that is complete bullschit! I called them up a week after I got mine and told them about the clearance issues. I was told they could send me another pair and see if they were any better... assuming I was willing to swallow the shipping charges for both the old headers to return, and the new headers to ship. No thanks. MSA really disappointed me on that deal (and many others as well).

Guest autocroos76

Thanks for the replies. When I called MSA they said they would call me back. They never did. I'm just glad that I was able to use the headers. I was also thinking of using the y pipe between the trans and diff. Hope to get the car on the road in the spring.