HybridZ

optispark question for the LT1 guys

Guest 400HP280z

Guest 400HP280z

ok i own a heavily modified 94 LT1 camaro. when is rainy or wet out and i drive even through small standing water on the roads or even a moderate downpour the car turns evil. it starts running super rough, backfires, you can smell the gas (runs rich).. tries and sometimes stalls out.

the cause is the opti getting wet. do any of you guys have this problem? if so how do you fix it..i want my 260 to be a daily driver with the LT1 in it. even in the rain.

Guest Anonymous

Yep like he said, the 95 and newer optispark have a vacume port that alows the intake vacume to scavenge out any moisture so they tend to last longer. If that is the original opti it would benefit greatly from replacement anyway. Mark

Guest Anonymous

hi there guys great forum, lots of stuff to read, 400hp280z, couple questions, how many miles> when was the last time you change spark plug wires? also migth want to check the coil if it's an oem, check the vacum lines that came out of the opti, at the bottom, the 94 should have the vacum lines, migth to check all this things before spending $260 or more for an ogti an not be that, when it rains an water get to the cables it likes to ground out, just couple of checks, just my .02 cents later ralph.

Guest 400HP280z

i have the msd coil and wires..changed about 4 mouths ago. its not the orginal opti..the previous own changed it and i think may have not put it on correctly...I WIIL CHANGE IT IF I PUT IT IN THE 260.

My 93 camaro has 107K miles on original opti with absolutely no problems rain or shine. I don't see how the opti would get water in it from puddles unless the housing was broken or something.

I had a problem for a while that seemed to fit perfectly the opti symptoms (turned out to be a clogged cat) but in my research it seemed more cars were fixed by carefully rerouting plug wires than anything else. Be real careful about spending on the opti, these cars are hard on wires with stock routing.

Perry

EDIT: the new style opti will help prevent accumulated moisture like condensation but will do nothing to prevent the "hit a puddle and it stops running" type of problem. again- I have my original old style still in the car with no problems in the rain. I also think rather than converting opti type you could epoxy a couple of carefully located pieces of brass tubing in the old unit to suck out moisture.

EDIT: the new style opti will help prevent accumulated moisture like condensation but will do nothing to prevent the "hit a puddle and it stops running" type of problem.

It is almost PERFECTLY sealed, the early design has a huge gaping hole in the back where the splined shaft goes, the 95 is nearly immune to damage from moisture. I had oil and coolant in my 94 Optipuke.

if the hole in it is true and the car normally runs OK in the dry maybe you could get under the car and seal the opti to the block at the bottom then shield it with a piece of sheetmetal. I would think these sort of things would fix it. Also take a look at connectors under the hood maybe someone left the rubber out of one of the weatherpacks or something.