HybridZ

240mph 240z?

Jonas240z

Down load Full_Throttle.WMV . Watch the RX7 on the flats near the end. Your car will have to be built with this possibility in mind. The car you are planning will be rewarding in the planning, building and driving sense. It would have to be constructed with a single purpose in mind.

People gave me a smile that is usually reserved for crazy fools or people with guns when I told them I was going to put a V12 in a Z. Most people never would have believed a Z could do low 10’s like Scotties GNZ. The way I see it, all you have to do the fastest speed in this post plus one MPH and have the paper to prove it to achieve success. The fastest Z.

Just keep in mind, I know it sounds cliché, safety first.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of comments...

Make certain whoever you get to do the cage installation is certified for the events you plan to run. Also, Make sure you study the rules... And don't procrasenate to long on the build... Rules changes have impacted THREE of the projects I've built over the years. Make sure you don't take to long and if you plan a $45K budget, make sure you have that much money in the bank. More people lose interest in their projects or get screwed by a rules change to the point of ditching the project. Don't start the project until you have the funds...

You CAN build a 200MPH Car... But I'd recommend shooting for something that will beat the existing record FIRST, and then workiong your way up to something faster... As was mentioned by others... All that matters is what the certificate says the car actually DID in an event...

Mike 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Or chop about 2 inches or more from the top of the car, rake the windshield back by about 3 to 5 more degrees. I remember reading somewhere that the New Pathfinder Armadas come with a 2.70 R-230 rear end...... I say go for it. There will be a lot of people on here that will tell you that something can't or shouldn't be done. Based on their experiences this may be true, but approaching a problem from a fresh perspective un tainted by experience will often yeild surprising results. Thinking "Outside the box" will be an absolute must on a project like this. Building the car to achieve 240 mph on paper will be a more realistic goal than building it to actually perform 240 mph in a sanctioned LSR attempt. As stated before, rule changes from year to year will hinder the building process, require much re-work and re-design. On a car of this nature, where all components must work in perfect harmony with eachother, the total re-design of even one part could mean re-designing a significant portion of the entire car, and wasting an entire budget in the process. Definitely build for maximum safety though, no point in spending 5 years designing a one way ride to a closed casket funeral when you can just jump off a building or go jogging in the freeway to acheive the same end result :D Let me know if you want any help designing or welding the cage,

Mike

First things first......for the doubters and/naysayers pls read the motto at the bottom.

Spent 35 years as a U.S. Marine and I KNOW the answer to the question.......NOBODY!!!!!

Having said that, I am DEFINITELY not a naysayer (couldn't fly until we flew, right?) ..however I AM a realist and my pea-brain/experience have shown me that without a plan to get to the end state, ya ain't gonna make it. Given the variables I saw in your first post, my recommendation is to spend every waking moment you can possibly spend hugging up to the folks who do speed (not drugs....., MPH :-D ) for a living and educating yourself on the considerations that must be dealt with in order to safely go fast. That means all types of competition, because there is a cross-pollination that happens which is extremely useful.

The logical place to begin is the august pages of this superb site! I am an old fart and I have learned and IMMENSE amount of stuff in just the year I have been a member. There is a common thread to be gleaned from reading through the posts and that is that projects are never, never, ever what they start out as nor are they what they seem in the beginning! In a nutshell "STUFF HAPPENS" and 3/4 of the battle is acknowledging that fact and dealing with it. So start right here, read and heed. You will be able to pick out very quickly who is BSing and who the players are. Why do you think you see most of the same names as moderators on most of the Forums? :)

Most importantly, DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!! That doesn't mean be stupid, it means you need to be adaptable and flexible in your plans and your goals, possibly to the point of gradually working your way up to the end-state as opposed to the 'big bang theory' trying to do it all at once. However, if you are serious, your desired 240 MPH is the goal and everything else you do should be logically designed to get you there. If you follow that rabbit, you will surely have learned a huge amount of useful information and applicable methodologies by the time you get there or decide the cost in headaches, money, time and effort is too much. :cry:

Bottom Line? GO FOR IT!!! Use your head, acquire the knowledge, gain the experience and beat butt!!! :P

3.08 would work for me, but a 3.36 is acceptable, too.

I will have to check this out further.

An R230 with a 3.36 will be FAR easier to get my hands onto than the other two ratios in the R200....

Well, wide body for sure isn't the way to go like someone else stated. Oh yea, CHOP TOP. At least 3-5 inches. Rake that sucker back. That windshield needs to be as far back as you can get it. The higher the roof, the more lift you're making.

You want the car's weight in increase the faster you go, then rely on pure HP to get you there. I personally think it will take a 1000+HP motor. Wich is buildable.

I'd recomend getting the car as low as possible. The less air that goes underneath the car the less lift. As air goes under the car the air going over the top creates lift force counteracting the air underneath. This is what makes planes fly. So if you elimnate as much air on either side the better.

Personally i think if you want to have a street/salt flat car you're going to need a multi geared rear end. Like 18 wheeler style. And you canb't say those things aren'y durable, look at the tourque numbers they're running.

Personally i think it can be done. But i'd price it at more like 80k. But you never know....

Keep safety your first goal. Have weilded in plate covering the tranny in case the housing gives. Have a GOOD cage. Do some research in finding a cage that won't crush and has full side impact protection.

I think the 200 mph will be reachable at your price range. But i think the higher register will take a much more powerful engine and the parts to hold it all. Combined with areo that keeps the car pushing down at all corners it can be done.

After some more thought, additional areodynamic aids:

Delete side mirrors, or mount further forward on the fender ala Fairlady 432 style. Having them on either side of the windshield puts them directly in the path of the high pressure air that is trying to escape around the side of the car, moving them forward will put them in cleaner, lower pressure air for less resistance.

Delete wipers, or have a small "pre spoiler" in front of the widshield to deflect the air over the windshield wipers. Fill in most, if not all of the vents in the cowl area as the air circulating in there will tend to create turbulance in front of the windshield.

Use a small spoiler just in front of the rear hatch to break the airflow away from the rear body as it slopes down. Or leave the rear hatch as is and use a narrow spoiler in the rear to create downforce using all that air that flows down the hatch. A wide spoiler in the back would probably create more drag than you want. Something about the width of the rear hatch would probably be sufficient. Look at the rear of the Shelby Daytona Coupe for a good example.

Make the wheels as flush with the edge of the fender as possible, and try to minimize the amout of gap between the tire and fender. A lot of drag is created by air entering the wheel wells and hitting the firewall or rear valance. Wheels with minimal openings would help here too. Notice how most of the guys running the salt flats use aluminum discs over the wheels? Narrow tires will be helpfull as well, even the frontal area of the tire counts towards drag.

Dammit, now I wanna go over 200 mph too :twisted:

Mike

That's a great point with the wheel issue. The more flush you make the wheel the better. I'd recomend altering your fender to have more of that "Viper" look where the wheel is in almost a full circle of a fender as appose the standard half circle 240Z fender cutout.

I can't remeber if i mentioned it in my previous post but something unerneath the car to act as a cover will help alot. I don't know what ferrari uses but i know the enzo is built like that, where the undercariage is totally sealed off. Try to find ou t what martials companies use for that. I'd worry that fibergalss is too heavy. My first guess would be thin aluminum, wich would be light and durable enough.

Another thing you might want to look at that would take EXTENSIVE work to do, would be to lower the front of the car a 3-4 inches. This could only be achieve by totally reworking the front sring towers and maybe some other extensive modifications, but it would give you the front dynamics of a mid engine car. This would utilize the hood as source of downforce.

Another very serious option you have that you wouldn't have in most other modern day cars is putting the engine in back making it a rear engine car.

I'd use a porshe transaxle and mate it a LS1 motor. I know FFR is using this in a new car. http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/GTMkit.html http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/gtmupdate/gtmrelease.html You can get a LS1 motor well over 1000 HP, just take a nice pocket book. This trans axle can take the power too. It's the same transaxle that they use in the GT racing. This would give you the ability to do whatever you want with the front end, and gain a better balance of the car. Ultimatelly this would give you a car better suited to your needs. If you really wanted you could fit a V8 like say a 427 HR with a tremec and a 9inch rear axle directlly bolted onto the tranny. It's just a matter of how hot your cockpit will get. With a transaxel like that porshe's the engine stays farther back, therefor making it easier to close off the engine from the cockpit and also reducing heat in the cockpit.

And, just a quick question. How tall are you? This will make a large difference on how this are desinged...

This uses the porsche transaxle and LS1 combo. I seem to remember it topping out at around 230 Mph IIRC. If you look at where the seats are in relation to the rear wheels though, I don't think this would work on a Z as you are already almost sitting with your back against the rear wheel wells. Note the low front end though, no gaping hole of a grill to create lift there.....

gtr05.jpg

If you set the engine back far enough, you can still get an effect close to this on a front engine car. I hate to use this as an example, as I absolutely despise this car, but the sculpting of the hood area is about as good as it gets for high speed areodynamics. A hood/airdam like this could be made for a Z with a little effort and engineering skills. Notice that the body lines of the front fenders are already pretty close to those of a first gen Z.....

shelbyGT04.jpg

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

You know what I say GO FOR IT man! Isn't that what this forum is all about?? Granted you may suffer from some setbacks, but we will all learn about creating a better car. Heck we may be even using mods that you have to develop to get your car there. I look forward to seeing what you do to smooth the lines on your Z. So keep us posted!

boost on

• 10 months later...
Guest slowpoke 808

but what you wanted 240mph is really possible. in japan theres a 450 z......

rfneimad posted this in the http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB28&Number=67732743

topic title 450z tt

Yuki Komiya was the designer and builder of the entire dual turbo, VH-45 V8 car project, including engine upgrades, suspension, body mods and interior. He had some backup help from his 2 car business fellow workers with some of the welding and paint, but he claims that he was "the man" that did virtually all the work. He said his project took 5 years to complete.

Mr. Komiya is 30 years old. His profession is "building custom cars" He and two others run a "tuning shop" in Japan called "RISING" which appears to me, from what he says, to be very active in campaigning super dooper modified, older Nissan based "drag cars" at the main tracks in Japan.

He claims the following for his 450Z

HP = 720 hp ! (Not sure what type or what measuring method or calculation was used, but I will work on getting that clarified)

Torque = 100 kgm

weight of car = 1080 kg

estimated 1/4 mile time = aproximately 10 sec

"goal drag time: 9 sec flat!!"

--Can anyone here convert the metric units above into US measure for me to publish? Send conversions to eric@zparts.com

And about the Rising LS Sunny car that I mentined in a previous post that Mr. Komiya reported at the track last weekend, here is what he had to say.

My boss owned that SUNNY.

make:Nissan

base model:1976 B110 Sunny

engine: L6 3.2L without turbo & NOS

body:original full pipe frame made by my boss

1/4 mile time last week = 9.883 secs

His closing comment about the Rising LS Sunny car, in broken English, was, "9.883 sec is fast right!"

OK, gang, there's your "daily dose" of hybridz "tales of wonder" Who's gonna go up against this guy next for the ultimate 2004 HybridZ Project of the year award?

- Sleek Z

theres more pics and stuff at zparts.com

...... later in the post i read that

That car is beautiful. My ultimate nissan is an s30 with an rb26 swap, since it bolts right in. There is a guy in japan who had an s30 with an rb26 making 1000hp and converted to AWD. I'll see if i can find the pics.

--------------------

Technology is the only substitue for cubic inches.

posted by 240blur

hope this helps your aspirations.