HybridZ

Anyone ever considered using the new Chevy 4.2 (I6)?

Guest Fontouk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
any updates on this swap? It looks be a nice legal alternative to the rb swaps
I'm very interested in doing this swap. the engine is around 30 inches tall with the stock oil pan. I don't know the limitations height wise of the s30 chassis. Trying to do some research on getting a flywheel and my tranny options along with a few other things. I think this would make a great n/a or boosted motor if built correctly. Just not any aftermarket support so everythings gonna be custom.

If I remember correctly my old co-workers F150 truck (92 I think) has a 4.2 liter straigh six also.... I didn't know that Chevy made a 4.2 inline 6.

the ford stright six in your co workers truck is a 4.9 300ci.

chevy has made striaght sixes since the fifteys , often refered to stovebolt sixes. chevy started with a 215. then made it a 230 then a 250. then they casted a new 250 block that they made into a 292.

Ford's made the 170, and 210. the ford 300ci has a rare Cross flow head for it with much better combustion camber design.

the chevy has siemes ports but is a reallllly smooth engine (I've owend both a 300 ford and a 292 chev)

ford 300ci as been one of there staple industrial engines for a very long time now.

I don't know about the ford but my 292 chev with factory one barrel carb, made something like 275 ft/lb's of torque at 1500 rpm.

I don't understand..

i think he means to say that almost all honda's sport-inspired engines are inline, with the exception of the NSX series C32 engines.

therefore "nuff said" meaning, the statement he quoted was debunked.

not sure if i agree with either statement, as both were very vague to begin with.

That guy is on the inliners forum and I have pm'ed him for dimensions but no response. I also asked him about info on the trans adaptor,flywheel and clutch. also no response. He cut 2.5 inches off the oil pan and after seing the oil pan and talking to glen self at self racing (the guy that built the 4.2 in the pic above) there is some more room to be cut off. esp if you go with a dry sump. I don't know how tall l28's, rb's or 2jz's are but I think you can get the 4.2's down to around 26 inches. Lots of custom parts and fabrication but thats what makes this fun. I'm in the process of figuring out transmissions. you can bolt up the r154 from the turbo supra, but I would like to get more info on the solstice/ colarado trannys they are said to be real close to the supra trans. other possibilities are the getrag r160 from the tt supras, the tko-600 or t-56. I am 98% sure I will be using this engine in my 73 240z. And will keep everyone posted on my progress.

I've read that the 4.2 is not a direct bolt up for the 3.5 / 2.8 transmissions as it has a different flywheel design. Is that true?

What have you found out for the ECM? Has a work around been made? Would like to see the cam phasing work.

requires a custom flywheel but there is a guy on the inliners forums that has had these made so that you can use the colorado clutch and trans. I just haven't decided if thats the route I'm gonna take. as for the ecm I havn't decided on that either I too hope to be able to use the cam phasing. I hope by the time I get all of this together there will be an option. esp since there are so many engines out there that have computer controled cams.

I read that there were companies that could trim down the harness's so that you wouldn't get errors, and others were working on ECM relashes.

But all that I read was that they would be able to do so in several months. The posts were several years old.

What is the news on that? Darn cheap engines, just asking for a Holset . . . .

That guy is on the inliners forum and I have pm'ed him for dimensions but no response. I also asked him about info on the trans adaptor,flywheel and clutch. also no response. He cut 2.5 inches off the oil pan and after seing the oil pan and talking to glen self at self racing (the guy that built the 4.2 in the pic above) there is some more room to be cut off. esp if you go with a dry sump. I don't know how tall l28's, rb's or 2jz's are but I think you can get the 4.2's down to around 26 inches. Lots of custom parts and fabrication but thats what makes this fun. I'm in the process of figuring out transmissions. you can bolt up the r154 from the turbo supra, but I would like to get more info on the solstice/ colarado trannys they are said to be real close to the supra trans. other possibilities are the getrag r160 from the tt supras, the tko-600 or t-56. I am 98% sure I will be using this engine in my 73 240z. And will keep everyone posted on my progress.

Yes, you can definitely use an R154 to hook up a 4200 using the Colorado/Canyon bellhousing. The issues you'll have to figure out are what gear ratio's you want to use and where you want the shifter. Solstice shiifter is farther back than the R154.

7127d1140045568-engine-swap-bellhousings-shifter_loc1.jpg

Greg

4200_R154_2_thumb.jpg