HybridZ

Twin Turbo LS1 - might fit a Z...?

Guest Anonymous

Pretty cool, I donno though, on the passenger side I appears you have to notch out a area of the passenger footwell. Just from the looks of it you may well be right though, it'd be close. I think the best locations IMHO for a turbo on the Z is for twins in front of the strut towers on each side, and for a big single right where the battery would normally be. I'd prefer the later and when a friend does his thats where I've suggested he put it, you do have to cross over a pipe from under the other side but the exhaust will cross under the oil pan easily. I do like the LS1 though, very cool.

Regards,

Lone

Yes, Lone, you keep suggesting that's where I put it, but I have to tell you that it somehow looks meaner when a big turbo is set up front of the motor. Still, logic will prevail and I'm sure that it will be in the place that makes the most sense ;)

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Polar mass and all that my good man... ;) Your right, a big single up front looks great, but we'll have to see about that.. tongue.gif

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Which on a small engine is a problem, a chevy has torque in spades even off boost, size the turbo right and thats not a very valid arguement. The torque a chevy puts out even with a big laggy turbo will be sufficient to pull it up to boost pretty quickly and when it comes on boost hold on to your hat things are going to get exciting in a hurry.

I'm quite confident that a single large turbo with a forged motor will put out 600 hp easily and you won't have to deal with big lopey cam's and poor idle quality (well aside from larger injector issues and with a aftermarket computer thats not a problem). Just an opinion of another way of approaching HP without radical cams, high compression pistons/heads and without spinning the motor like crazy. It works on the GN, it'll work on the SBC at least in my opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Anyone game for this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1845153565

Looks like those manifolds/turbos are pretty tight to the block. Very likely might fit a Z car.

Since Incon is tits up, it'll probably be a looong while until there's another turbo setup for LS1s.

Then again, not sure a Z would be very drivable with that much oooomph... tongue.gif

If some of those 'turbo-calculators' that are online are any idication, then the diminutive 355 should be pushing out 500+ horsepower with a relatively small amount of boost (under 8 pounds of boost). Granted, it is theory, but at least there is some education behind it! tongue.gif

Davy