HybridZ

Body moulds

Guest daZda rally

Guest daZda rally

Hi,

This is my first post to your site.

We are building a 260Z 2 seater with a blown 13B for autocross and rally (sealed and dirt) use. Our target is 800Kg (1750lb) with as much as possible of that on the back.

To this end we are going to make ultra light composite panels for the car, including doors. Before we begin making moulds are there any out there we can buy ,borrow or hire? We are in Western Australia so it would be easier if we could find some within Australia.

If it suits the owner we could make an extra set of pannels as payment for use of the moulds. These will be very light and strong panels.

Please reply if you can shed any any light on our project, thanks.

1750 lbs. I believe this will be a record weight for the Z. I had a somewhat heavier composite body with a 400lb motor, and gutted (really gutted) interior and the best I could do was just over 2000 lbs (the only glass was a windshield). I figured that with a thinner (thinner gauge) composite body, narrower wheels and tires (I had 10" and 12" duralites), and a lighter motor (such as your 13B), I could get close to 1800.

My "heavy" panels, which had street duty as a consideration and hence their added thickness, placed the entire front clip, including hood at 75lbs. Doors are 9lbs, hatch is 19lbs, and quarters at 10lbs each. That's about 130lbs. Super thin ones in CF could get this down to perhaps 30lbs. Unfortunately, the cage added 100lbs to the then 2000lb car, and my asperations for ultralight went down the tubes.

I have got my 240z race car down to 900kg without driver. its got all perspex windows ex the glass front screen. All hanging panels except doors are fibreglass. the interiour is stripped. fibreglass dash.

I still think I can pull out another 50kg just going to hand layed fibreglass panels

Ash

Guest daZda rally

Is your 900kg 240Z with the L24? If so that is very encourging.

The panels we will make will be composite with ali honeycombe or foam between two layers of cloth making very stiff pieces that are much lighter than normal glass panels.

Other plans for lightening include- polycarb windows(all), polycarb hatch, CF dash pad, CF seats, smallish driveline parts(eg light 4 sp g/box , R180 diff), ali radiator and more.

The plan is to throw away all the parts we dont REALY need and then make those that are left lighter. :!:

Would be interesting with a topic conserning how to drop weight on a 240...

Me and my friend are building a 240 with an all-alu Volvo B28 engine for drag-racing.

Our goal is to get below 900kg, if possible including driver.

We´re shaving weight on everything and only leaving barely enough to make it street legal.

Hope to get some pictures up soon.

Its got a L28 in it. I do have a few molds but they are pretty crappy and would cost way to much to ship to perth.

my car also has a modified std 5 speed, R200 LSD (which adds a bit of weight) bigger brakes etc etc

I think the alloy roll cage helps alot with weight reduction as well

Ash