HybridZ

Which is better Fiberglass or Urethane airdam's?

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

Guest 78Z-IN-GR-MI

I'm going to buy a front air dam, rear bumper and side skirts for my 78Z and have never installed these before.

I plan on buying them from motorsport. Can anyone give me advise?

Which is better Urethane or fiberglass.

It would see the soft Urethatne would be hard to make look firm.

and will I be happy with motorsport?

Can I save if I go somewere else?

Thanks

This site has been so helpful..

Terry

It all depends on how well you can judge the distance to a parking curb. If you can keep the car away from the curbs "ALL THE TIME" when parking then buy the fiberglass dam.

If you still have trouble judging how long the nose of the car is...buy the flexible dam.

You should only post your question in one forum at a time. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned that to you yet...

The urethane will sag over time, but won't crack if you hit a parking stone. You can reinforce it with metal to keep it from sagging. I think Auxiliary did that to his to beef it up.

Fiberglass is better in that it won't sag and is lighter, but is fragile.

I thought I had the best of both worlds with my "Flexdam" which is fiberglass with a rubber skirt. Turns out the rubber skirt started flapping up at about 90 mph, so I changed the rubber out for plastic lawn edging, which has worked well. I got the flexdam from a company in Ventura CA about 7 years ago, I have no idea who what their name is anymore. You see a lot of them on 510's, but mine is the only flexdam I've ever seen on a Z.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a fiberglass unit, since I barely drive on the street anymore with the Z.

Jon

Guest Z-rific

Where I live, there are too many speed bumps, bad railroad tracks, steep driveways, etc. If I had a fiberglass dam, it would stay cracked, because I wouldn't repair it every other week. The dam on my 95 Talon has been cracked forever.

I prefer the urethane. If you're worried about sag or flex, you can always reinforce it. I don't spend too much time aboce 90 mph, and mine is fairly stiff.

I am also thinking about a urethane airdam. What all can be done to reinforce it for use at high speeds (over 100mph). Is that possible with urethane, or would fiberglass be the best choice for something functional at high speeds?

I would go fiberglass on the air dam and urethane on the side skirts

the side skirts i would think would be the most prone to getting hurt on a lowered z going over speed bumps, since most of us already have to take speedbumps really slow and sideways. I have had fiberglass and urethane air dams, and i like the fiberglass better, but you do have to better care of your fiberglass. At &t did me the favor of wrecking my fiberglass air dam amount a year ago ($) and i replaced it with a used urethane one, and even when reinforced, it still has that smily face you get when the urethane distorts from getting abused a lot.

I also felt the fiberglass one held up better at high speeds, vs my urethane one that i can see in my mind wiggling and moving around, not so good for aero but better than a stock valance. My cruising speeds start at 80, and the difference is noticeable.

My favorite look is a lowered first gen z car with deep dish wheels and your classic air dam!