HybridZ

out side the box

cameraobsess

ok this topis comes from two diffrent posts. i had one about small v12's and one about diffrent conversions.

lets thing outside the box. what is something diffrent. people on this site talk a lot about v-8s, roatarys, a little on v12's. i have seen some posts on 4bangers and 6bangers. i even read about one guy who wanted to put two motercycle engines in his car, one in the front, one in the back. i had a topic almost a year ago about strange conversions. we talked about rear and mid engine swaping ideas, not only in z cars. it was a way to think "out side the box" no idea is unthinkable. what have you thought about putting in your car. what would you like to see someone put in theirs? even if its just a "it would sound cool" or "it would look funny under the hood".

and dont forget how you would link it up to the wheels ither. i saw someone on this site who was building a car from scratch and had no differential. he had built a long connector from the engine in the front of the car to the transaxle in the rear. the way you conect it to the wheel is just as fun to talk about as the engine. anyone remeber what post that was in? i would love to see it again just to read about it.

lets see those ideas.

i saw someone on this site who was building a car from scratch and had no differential. he had built a long connector from the engine in the front of the car to the transaxle in the rear.

A torque tube? Like what is seen on the C5 'Vette for instance. Somebody have the picture from Ebay you can post?

Here's my WTF is that engine:

320 HP @52,000 rpm

425 ft/lbs @ 2,000 rpm

Compressor Speed: 54,000 rpm

Can run on diesel or kerosene

Yeah, that's right a Rolls Royce Allison 250 gas turbine!

49_1.JPG

That's the only picture I could come up with at the moment :roll:

Routing the exaust is going to take some thinking. As for the transmission, I have no idea yet.

!M!

A porsche 928 32 valve v8 with transsmission in the rear would be different. Crazy joes vw bug with a fwd caddy 500 in the is also different but it would take a lot of space inside the car

As for the transmission, I have no idea yet.

You've got a usable rpm range from 2,000 to 52,000. You'll need some kind of gear reduction because I know of no automotive driveshaft that will survive a 15,000 rpm spin, much less 50,000 rpms... :eek:

hahahaha last time i started a post simaler to this one, someone joked about putting a Turbane in. they really just mentioned it. that would be one wicked ride. how big is that thing anyways. ok heres some more food for thought, http://www.sixstroke.com/pageone.htm I really dont understand it that well but it looks promising enough to make me want to know more.

if you want to see something really crazy go to this web site. http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/turbinenuts.shtml

i wasnt sure if i should laugh or cry.

this one i did laugh at, looks like some honda boys finaly went with a real engine. they also talk about the ford focus with a v-8.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/t-33520.html

Well, heres my "list" of cars I want to build (after I finish the resto on my 280z).. but dont have the space or money to do so:

1 late 80'sVolvo 242 (thats a door gt model) with a supercharged SBC 350/4 spd, corvette rear end/suspension, ect. I know its been done, but heres the diferent part; I want to 'graft' on the rear roof/hatch section from a 245 (4 door wagon). Basicaly make a 2 door wagon similar to the P1800 series Volvo from the 70's.

2 Early 80's Toyota corolla (the RWD ones) with a turbo Supra I6/5 speed. Little car with lots of power. 8) hey Civics, lets race!

3 Mid 70's VW Sciroco with a caddy front drive V8. Be good for smoking Civics, Vetts, feraris you know... I think there would be a space issue under the hood but I bet it could be done.. I would probly just try to use the whole caddy front frame section..

4 85-88 Nissan 200sx with a FWD supercharged 3.8/trans (GM) in the back seat. well... where the back seat is. I actually have plans scribled somewhere for this.. front K frame from a Buick or something (doner car) welded into the rear of the 200sx, there would be LOTS of work for this.. relocate EVRYTHING, build a new fire wall behind the front seats, ect.. I want to try this next I think...

4 '93 Nissan King cab with air ride (scraping frame :twisted: ) suspension and big a$$ rim$. I actually own this truck right now, but its just a stock daily driver for now..

Theres more poping into my head every day... AHHHHG!!! What do you guys think? Should I get my head checked?

you're not crazy. project #1 after the z gets done..... late 60's karmann ghia with a tt porsche engine. that oughta turn some heads. :twisted:

even though my plans got pissed on when i saw one with a 455 big block stuffed in it's butt. what i'd give to drive that thing! :shock:

you know i always thought it would be funny for someone to do something with a camery. when i was driving my paretns 92 camery before i got my car i was one of two camerys i have ever seen with dice in the windshield. i never thought the thing was fast but it was reliable and comfy. before i would ever touch a car like that though i would go with a big old peice of american steel. my best friend has a 1972 chevy caprice with a 400 small block. that thing halls ass when its running. wouldnt mind sticking that engine in a z.

You've got a usable rpm range from 2,000 to 52,000. You'll need some kind of gear reduction because I know of no automotive driveshaft that will survive a 15,000 rpm spin, much less 50,000 rpms... :eek:

I don't know what they used to gear the turbines down, but these guys did it with many different vehicles:

http://www.marineturbine.com/

I would really like to know how they did it.

!M!

You said outside the box, so I'll bite.

How about..dare I say..an Electric Z?

No one can complain about the torque curve of an electric motor..or should I say.. torque plateau..hehehe

I've seen lots of home conversions done to other cars, but have not seen one in a Z.

It be a great alternative for those in CA who just want to cruise...240 style.. no emmisions problems...

or think of it as an affordable commuter car?..... dead simple.. lots of room in the engine bay...

It may not be a "handling" car, but hey..might be able to keep our z cars when they run out of fuel, or when it hits 100.00 per gallon..

Something I always thought would be fun, take a 1987 to 1990 nissan pulsar and swap in a VQ30DE or VQ35DE with a 6 speed from the new maximas. then put the bastard in the rear and make a mid engine pulsar. those things are fun! I once had the SE version with 135hp CA18DE, it was a little rocket with that motor, i can only imagine it with 2 times the power and RWD.

McAdam