HybridZ

steering wheel removal?

Guest grunt0311

Guest grunt0311

How do you guys pull the steering wheel off of your Z? I bought a steering wheel removal set up but the bolts aren't small enough to fit into the teeny tiny holes on my 70 parts car? Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas!!!

grunt0311

72 awaiting paint

70 ughleee rhd

70 parts

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Steering wheels are pretty much universal in their removal (as far as I know). Loosen the center bolt, and then bang in circles on the backside of the steering wheel with a rubber mallet and the wheel should pop off after a bit of coaxing. BE CAREFUL! They can pop off with force! I had my steering wheel in my truck pop off and bang me right in the bridge of the nose :ugg:

After that, I learned that it is a good idea to leave the center bolt on some so the wheel can pop loose, but not fly off. A good penetrating lube will help too.

You're headed the right direction with the puller... Dig in your metric bolt box for one that fits the holes/threads & buy a couple the right length at the hardware store (likely some washers too).

Anymore I'm afraid to pound on steering wheels as some cars have had little plastic pins designed to shear off in a crash and collapse the column.

Guest smoov280zx

This might be stupid, but have you just tried pulling it? I looked around for a puller and when i couldnt find one to fit, i just took off the nut and pulled on the wheel close to the center and it came off without much of a fight. Just in case you haven't tried it.

Its actually better to loosen the center 17mm nut but do not remove the nut itself, take it to the point where its on the last few threads then grab the steering wheel and toggle it from side to side it will eventually come loose from the splines and by leaving the nut in place ensures that the wheel does not bang you in face when it does break free.

Don't ask me how I know....

Yasin

Guest grunt0311

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I hope to get some time this weekend to get it off.

Merry Christmas!,

grunt0311

70 rhd ugleee

72 awaiting paint

70 parts...

Guest grunt0311

Thanks for the help everyone. I loosened the nut almost all the way soaked in liquid wrench and got a friend to help me pull it off. Merry Christmas to all.

grunt0311

72 awaiting paint

70 rhd uglee

70 parts

71 parts

running out of room for my addiction

• 4 years later...