HybridZ

Rear End Gears & Balancer question

Guest Sean280z

Guest Anonymous

I believe with a 8" balancer you'll be into your steering rack, you'll probably want to use the 6 3/4" to provide more clearance at least per JTR's suggestion.

For the right cash, Z-dreamer might be interested in selling a 3.36 R200, its probably your best bet unless you want to swap another rear in there thats non-Datsun.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Sean280z

Hey everyone i am somewhat new here. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on what to do about getting a higher gear ratio for my R200. I believe the most common ratio is 3.54 or something like that but i am going to use a th-350 in my V8 conversion so I will be running very high Rpm's down the highway. To help lower the Rpm's on the highway without going to an overdrive transmission i am trying to find out how much and where i can find some higher gears. The reason i am trying to stay away from the 700-R4 transmission is because its much more expensive and its not as if i am going to use this as a daily driver. If anyone knows anything that can help me, please let me know.

I also have a question about a stock Chevy Harmonic Balancer. Will the stock balancer work in a 240z. I dont know if there are any clearance issues or anything like that that i will need to be aware of. If anyone has any information on this can you let me know please.

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

Sean

There is a 3.36 r200 that is out there if you shop long enough. Also, I believe it is Ross C (modern motorsports) had a 3.15 gear set for sale. Really unusual, but they are out there! You should have no troubles with the 6 3/4" balancer for sure, and I don't think there is an issue with the 8" balancer, hopefully someone else will confirm.

• 2 years later...
Guest paklids

Hey Sean280Z.....

As an alternative to the T700-R4, you could try a Turbo 200-R4. While slighly lighter duty than the Turbo 350 (which I'll assume you have....) it is a 4 speed with a lockup torque converter. Several people have had good results, but always in the sub 300 HP range.

Good Luck!

Hey Sean280Z.....

As an alternative to the T700-R4' date=' you could try a Turbo 200-R4. While slighly lighter duty than the Turbo 350 (which I'll assume you have....) it is a 4 speed with a lockup torque converter. Several people have had good results, but always in the sub 300 HP range.

Good Luck![/quote']

First, Welcome aboard the site.... Second I suggest your next post is to a thread newer then 3 years old so that it is an uptodate response....:icon53:

LARRY

i just called my tranny guy and asked about an auto trans cause I may have to give up on the 5 speed due to money. he said he could make me a 700R4 or a 2004R, either one, for about 1200 bucks with torque converter that will hold up top my 400-500 HP range. The 5 speed was adding up to about 2500 really quick. a properly built 2004R will take quite a beating.

I am hoping I can get some ID help

I just bought 5 280Z cars all in a project situation. Which rear ends are the best for a mild V8 and how can I identify the gear ratio etc.?

I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Your 280Z should have the R200 in it which is plenty strong for a 'mild' V8. I hate to say search, but search! The pics you'll find here:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/...ap/diffswap.htm

All I did was use the search function---it's working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davy