HybridZ

LT1 conversion successes!!

Although small ones, I won 2 battles today that have been weighing on my mind for a while now.

1. Solved the serpentine pulley problem (not running P/S or A/C). The solution was simpler than I could have imagined.

2. Found some standard hoses for the radiator to water pump. I was afraid that I would be reduced to using 'flex hosing' which just doesn't look that great IMO.

Things are coming along nicely now. My new headers will arrive next week and my R230 half adapters will be ready on Monday.

Now just to get fuel lines and brake lines done, edit the PCM and......"Fire in the Hole!!"

Not a very exciting post to be sure, but I am pumped...after all the setbacks...things are going my way for a change.

Tim

Oltmann,

I pulled the P/S pump and removed the little plates in the vanes, so it will no longer 'pump'. I then put it back to the stock location, so it now acting as a idler pulley. (not ideal I know, but I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't last....I'll putsome oil in it to keep the bearings lubed and cool).

Then I took off the stock idler pulley, and got another pulley (just the wheel and bearing) from a Ford (sigh) confused2.gif , from the JY and made a bracket and mounted it below the Alternator. This one can adjust and although not 'spring loaded' like the stock one, there is plenty of adjustment room. The belt is one size shorter than the stock Z28 one (I have the part numbers if interested).

The setup looks OE and should work well. I can post some pics if you like.

Tim

Oltmann,

Dude, you're in Mission Viejo? Man, that's just down the road...we should hook up, or you should come to the next gathering at my place.

Here is the part number for the belt:

Brand: Gates

Part#: K060598

Size: 21mm x 1535mm

Apparently this one is 3 inches shorter than the OE Z28 belt (so says parts man), and there is one that is inbetween these two in length (about 1" or so longer than the shorter one), but I feel that the shorter the better.

I'll post some pics later today.

Tim

BTW, in hindsight, I could have just used the wheel from the OE idler pulley instead of the Ford unit, but since I had it already I decided to keep the OE one intact...just incase. If I really felt ambitious, I could probably mount the OE idler in place of the P/S pump 'pulley', but would mean some fairly significant bracketry fabrication and the benefits just don't outweigh the work involved IMO.

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

Oltmann,

Dude, you're in Mission Viejo? Man, that's just down the road...we should hook up, or you should come to the next gathering at my place.

Hey, I owe you a beer now ;) I'll definately go to your next gathering (do you post them on here?) and if your in the area some time I'll buy you lunch. I work in Irvine.

Thanks again.

Guest bigjim240z

hey guys..not to butt in but i would love to check out your v8z's...im putting my 240z together..although im not at the engine stages yet i would love to see the v8 swaps and get some ideas ....im building my z kinda backwards..im doing my interior and paint right now..the engine and trans are in good running shape so i figured i would make it look respectable first..im in san bernardino..not too far...see ya later..jim

Guest bigjim240z

im in san bernardino ca for now...not too far from you guys..i was just looking at your page..the car looks really good..maybe one day i can come check it out in person...let me know when you guys are gona meet up..thanks man..im

Guest Anonymous

Tim, if you are on the helpers list, I want to bring all my projects down to LA. Don't worry I bring my cot and stay in the garage.I may get a tow to the Bay Area and after a few weeks coast into LA off the grapevine.

Originally posted by Tim240Z:

BTW, in hindsight, I could have just used the wheel from the OE idler pulley instead of the Ford unit, but since I had it already I decided to keep the OE one intact...just incase. If I really felt ambitious, I could probably mount the OE idler in place of the P/S pump 'pulley', but would mean some fairly significant bracketry fabrication and the benefits just don't outweigh the work involved IMO.

It seems to me that using a pulley without a lip to do an 80 deg. turn wouldn't be good, although chevy did even more with the ps pump. :confused:

Anyhow, I think I'm going to use an idler pulley from McMaster-Carr (6235K74 if anyone is interested.)

Oltmann,

I was originally planning the same item from McMaster's, but this one only cost me a Buck from the self serve JY (price of admission).

If the pulley is correctly aligned, then your concerns are probably unfounded. This Ford one does have a bit of a lip, but even with a big lip, if the pulley is misaligned, it will throw/turn/cut the belt.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I'm curious as to how much they costed if you don't mind telling us. If its too much, I might just stick with my open R200 cry2.gif or find a LSD R200 2thumbs.gif if I'm lucky.

CrazyZ,

See my other post in the Driveline section...has all the info you need.

Congrats Tim!!!!

If ya can get it done by mid Oct we can take it to LACR!!!

I bought a trailer and can tow it if ya like.

Dave

Dave....you smoking crack again!!! It'll never be done...hell I'm just hoping it's done before the MSA WCNs next year! twak.giftwak.gif

I guess, since you have a trailer, we can tow it and see if we can break the 5 min 1/4 mile pushing it!! :D:Dugg.gif

Tim

BTW...when you moving?

Guest kc6wfs

Come on Tim, ya been working on that heep for 2 years now!!!! smile.gifmalebitchslap.gif

hehe

Looks like mid Oct on the house being built. Below is a link to the plan.

I'm getting the "B" facing on the house.

I am staying with "Grandmaw" :( till it's down being built.

http://www.lennar.com/greystone/homes/plan.asp?DIVID=AZHGHI&COMID=925&PLANID=BKM4&COMSEARCH=&PLANSEARCH=&ACSEARCH=&GCSEARCH=&QKSEARCH=&COMMAPSEARCH=true&HOMEMAPSEARCH=

Dave

cheers.gifcheers.gif