HybridZ

LT1 conversion successes!!

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

Could you let me know where you got your R230 half adapters? I've got the R230 and was saving it for an adapter to come out. Also, if possible maybe you could provide me with more information on how the install went. I'm especially interested in the differential mount, which half shafts to use (Q45, 280, or 240 and year), and which part to use for the mustache bar (R180 or R200). I have a 72 240, still a L6 but with plans on a ZZ4 crate or LT1 as well in the future. Was the LT1 difficult to install? Just gathering parts and idea at this point.

Thanks,

CrazyZ,

The adapters were made for me by a good friend (who also happens to be an expert machinist). If we can get a group purchase together, they will be much cheaper.

As for the sideshafts: At this point the solution is (I am currently working on a cheaper/better solution for the CVs) to buy 2 sets of Q45 shafts just to get the 4 inner CVs.

The actual shafts are made from scratch using NASCAR spec materials.

The mustache bar must be from the R200. The R200 bar is thicker (stronger) and places the diff further back (necessary for correct diff to hub alignment). I had to put a couple of washers between the diff and mustache bar to pull the diff forward just a tad.

Note: The R200 bar will need to be drilled by a machine shop..very thick and very hard material....most will do it for very little or nothing.

I used the 280Z stub axels 'cause they're stronger.

As for the LT1 fitment...it's the same as any other SBC (except for LS1) fitment wise, but you do have to deal with wiring and serpentine belt routing (see my recent post regarding belt/pulley routing). I did not buy an aftermarket wiring harness, but rather spent endless hours with the Factory Service Manual doing it myself.

Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Tim

• 19 years later...
17 hours ago, kurtgrossevegas said:

Do you want a BRAND NEW CONSTRUCTION HOME? There are over 200 different subdivisions and 1000 floorplans to choose from in Las Vegas. You can even design and build a custom home. As a former NV building engineer and 25-year Las Vegas Realtor, I’m the Realtor you want – I protect you and your investment. Visit my website https://HomesForSale.Vegas

WOW, I can't believe it! Where can I sign up for this amazing offer?

• Haha 1