HybridZ

Speed Bleeders... The best product you can buy...

Just finished putting speed bleeders and russel brake lines on the Vette and I gotta tell you guys, I don't know why on god's earth that the brake manufacturers install these bleeders worldwide. It took me less than an hour to install the lines, bleeders, bleed the system and put wheels back on, torque to spec and lower the car off the lift... Less than an hour... By myself... No assistance... No trying to get that extra bit of air out of lines... No trying to get that last bit of old fluid out of the system...

Good stuff!

Mike :D

I have them on my Trans Am and it is one of the best investments I've made. I flush the system before every open track event and it's great not to need any help plus it's way faster. I've had them on there a little over a year and no complaints yet.

Joel,

Call Summit Racing, give them your application (what calipers you are running), and they will send them out to you.

I've had them on my car for a few years now, and they are great for flushing old fluid out of the brake system before a track day.

A little pricey (I think around $10 each), but well worth it.

Pete

I have always connected a length of clear tubing over the stock bleeders and put the other end in a plastic jar with an inch or so of old brake fluid. I have never had anyone help me bleed the system and have always gotten all the air out in one try. Once the car is up on stands and all 4 wheels off I can bleed all 4 corners in less than 15 minutes, with no mess (until I trip over the full can).

I guess I just don't see why special bleeders are needed.

I`ve used the mightyvac too, but I`ve had problems on rear wheel cylinders and slave cylinders with drawing in air past the cups.

This isn`t all the time but it HAS happened more than once.

I do have a one man bleeder hose that has a check valve in one end and a grommet that goes over the bleeder screw. It works well as long as the bleeder screw is large enough to make a good seal.

If these two methods don`t work, I can usually gravity bleed by opening the screw farthest from the master cyl and waiting until the fluid runs clear with no air bubbles.

Just finished putting speed bleeders and russel brake lines on the Vette and I gotta tell you guys, I don't know why on god's earth that the brake manufacturers install these bleeders worldwide.

I'm guessing that you don't really care about the answer to this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :D

The manufacturers don't even need the bleeders at the plant - those are only for service later. At the plant there is a machine that fastens to the master cylinder reservoir, pulls a near-complete vacuum on the enitre system and pushes the brake fluid in. Since the air was pulled out first, there is no reason to bleed. They gererally fully fill a comlletely dry brake system in 10 or 15 seconds.

I gotta get me one of those machines...

Not everyone has the same luck with gravety bleeding, plus it can be messy... The thing I like about using the bleeders along with the AMPRO fluid catcher is the lack of mess, and it literally takes les than 15 minutes by yourself... Yes, there are other methods, but the speed bleeders are in my opinion well worth the $20... I get them from http://www.discbrakesrus.com for $20 for four.

PEPBoys in my area quit carrying them because they didn't sell many of them... A shame really...

Mike

• 5 years later...
  • Administrators
Hello 2004 thread. :)

Are you asking if the bleeder size is the same on the stock front disc and stock rear drums? If so the answer is yes.

Nope. Front is 10mm x 1.00 and rear is 7mm x 1.00.

Yes, they are a different size. I use Russell speed bleeders with great results, they have a separate set for front and rears.

You can find a complete list of applications for Russell speed bleeders here for reference: http://www.russellperformance.com/mc/speed/import.shtml

One side note. Dont forget, length is also an important dimension on these things. I bought a set of speed bleeders for my 83 280zxt rear calipers off the above reference table (p/n 693630) and they actually were too short, so I couldnt make them stop bleeding fluid. I traded them for a longer set (p/n 639560) and they worked fine. Just sayin, make sure what you buy matches up enough with your current bleeders so things will work and you dont waste your time. But you probably already knew that... :)

I also use a set of speed bleeders on my master cylinder (p/n 639570 I think)