HybridZ

Supra 2JZ-GTE 240Z Swap

cyrus

That link to the 2JZ engine is a JDM one. I remember they advertised that 280Z having a 2JZ turbo swap when it was on Ebay. Must be a JDM engine.

Marcos

The motor shown in the ebay link isn't a Supra 2JZ, I think it came from a Soarer or an Aristo V300. So you're probably right.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Majik, I know you know your shit, but so do I and I'm sure I'm right on this one. The past model Soarer (previous to the current SC430 which came with only the 1UZ) came with either a 2JZGE or 1UZ for our market, and a 2JZGE or optional 2JZGTE in Japan. Previous to that the single turbo 1JZ was the top motor, as you said.

Toysport even says so http://www.toysport.com/webpages/Projectcars/LexusSC3002JZGTE.htm

I see that toysport says it, but im sticking to what i said, they made a mistake. Unless you can find a factory JDM soarer with a 2jzgte, im not seeing it, ive been there, ive seen MANY soarers and NEVER seen or heard of a Factory 2jzgte soarer, only the jza80 got the 6 speed ones, and the aristo and a few other cars got auto versions, the soarer wasnt one of them. I could be wrong, but i really swear im correct, and normally id just say ok, but i can almost swear on my life that they misprinted what they meant to write. they had the 2.5 all the way up till they moved to the brand new one. when i get a chance, ill grab the same list off some japanese soarer sites, the 2jzgte is a common swap, but not a factory option.

http://www.dcimports.com.au/facts.htm

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/soarertt/index.htm

OK, I too am or was planning on the 2JZ swap. I have been wanting this one for a while and now that I have gotten my Z (260) I am goin to try and go ahead with a swap since my current engine needs a bit of work and I managed to get some funding for the project. Anyways I was talkin to this guy back home who owns a shop. He told me that he has a 1JZ and tranny that he can sell me for like 2500. This is a motor I like but I didn't really wanna go JDM or I would prolly want a RB26 since its seems to be a more well documented swap and I am relatively green. Anyways, this guy says that I shouldn't try for a 2JZ-GTE or a 1JZ-GTE. He told me that I should go for a 2JZ-GE because that engine came to America in like 3 different cars so it will be easier to find all the parts that I need. He said that I could then slap a turbo on the 2JZ-GE. Anyways what do you guys think about all of this. And for you guys who are already sizing up the 2JZ swap what all do you think you will need? How much custom fab are you guys looking at? How much money are you guys thinking it will take to complete the swap as simply as possible.

I was thinking that I need engine, tranny, harness, fuel pump, custom header, custom mounts, custom oil pan, and rear end just to get the engine in there and running. Am I leaving out a lotta stuff?? Well, please give me as much info and opinions as you guys can so that I can make the best decision. Thanks all for your time.

Well, Stone I don't know if that was a smile sayin good goin or sayin whatta newb or if it was even directed at me. Anyways your car is all bad ass so any words from you would be appreciated. I really want the 2JZ but am still unclear as to what I would need to make it all work and I don't wanna get in over my head

No offence intended but if you have to ask a basic question like what parts are needed then I would not adivse dumping money into something like this unless you either have enough money to pay people to do it, have ten years to finish the swap, or have a friends with enough knowledge to get you through it. I see so many people lose thousands on something like this, documented or not you need some big time mechanic and fabrication skills for a swap like this. IMHO

This is not at all directed at you but just in general I went over to look at a guy who is selling a hot v8 crate motor, he was trying to build a car in his garage, (had basically nothing done, just spent about 8k on the motor and then decided to sell it all) I was asking him about his project and why he is bailing out, he said it was just to hard, I was looking around his garage and just mentioned where he kept his tools, he pointed at this little chest of tools, this guy put all this money into buying a car and motor and he had nothing more than basic handtools. Where do these people come from???

what Jonzer said is basically what i was trying to tell u the other night, you need to spend a lot more time researching and just seeing what people go through in general, i got the impression the other night you want a cool car but you really dont know much about cars in general. which isnt bad, but jumping into something like this with a lack of base like that will get you in WAY over your head. Just trying to look out for ya, we can help you best we can, but we cant do everything over the internet, its gonna take A LOT of custom work.

OK time to get back on track.

I just purchased a 1972 240z orange with a red pyshicdelic swirl painted on the side. It is funny. The car looks good straight and very rust free. Only took six months to find one in cali!

I need someone to host the pics for the projects. Zach?

Hello All,

My first post to HybridZ. I've got love for purist and hybrid's. Too many nice cars around to hate. Lifes too short.

I got a chance to buy a 1JZGTE (complete engine only) for $700 US. I live in west los angeles. I'm debating between finishing up what I have or going the hybrid route. What I have is a 71 240z(orig, L24 and 4 spd, 2 spots of rust perfect interior, dentless body with Motorsport body kit), 72 240z (nice black paint except roof, rusty pass.side floor pan, stripped interior, good L24 and 4spd) and a 81 280zx turbo (automatic, running). I also have a L28et long block sitting on the engine stand, a stainless steel single turbo header (purchased and sitting for over 10 years), custom built Innovative T3/4 turbo good for 500HP, Tial wastegate, huge custom Spearco I/C (think skyline big and thick), and a box of steel J-tubes for piping and a LD28 crank.

Obviously, I got some decent stuff, yet I'm still enamored by the idea of going 1JZGTE, 2jzGTE or SR20DET. My friend at work just picked up his sr20det ($1500 for engine,tranny) to go into his 240z. I love the idea of the SR and going V-mount (radiator and IC). Still I like the way a inline six fills the engine bay.

A 1JZgte for $700 sounds almost to enticing to pass up. With the 1JZ I know you have to mix and match trannies unless you get the rare jdm 5 spd that matches it. What to do sell the above and go 1jz? I'm stuck. The fastest car I ever rode in was a 3.0L Cartech FI turbo 240Z so I know I'll be more than satisfied with that. If you you want to help me finish my project and are in the area give me a ring or write Someone convince me.

I apologize in advance if you fell I've misposted in the wrong place.

thanks all,

lk oatmilk@hotmail.com (310) 617-7615

1jzgte for 700, forget it. buy a whole front clip, no reason it should cost less that 2500, your probably looking close to 3k. And the 5 speed isnt rare. You want a jza70 front clip, its the easiest way to do the swap. if you dont buy the whole clip, your going to be in a big mess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

hello?

What?

test for echo...

I got pics of my us spec 2JZ-GTE swap into a orange 240z does any want to host pics? Lets get this thread on track.

This week end I pulle the engine and dash and am getting ready to drop the sup-dawg in.

Cyrus

Hey!

hello?

What?

test for echo...

I got pics of my us spec 2JZ-GTE swap into a orange 240z does any want to host pics? Lets get this thread on track.

This week end I pulle the engine and dash and am getting ready to drop the sup-dawg in.

Cyrus

Hey there. Your more then welcome to use my website for hosting your pics. Its $10/year but gives you some neat tools and 2500 photo capacity. http://www.resizeme.com

Thanks

Phyte