HybridZ

TPI 350 vs. LT1 350?

Guest JdoubleZ

THe TPI 350 will only bee good till about 4400 RPM, so it will turn nice eitgths but crappy quarter times. The only real advantage is it will be cheap compared to the LT1.

THe LT1 will cost more, but is an overall better motor, the stock intake and aluminum heads port out very well, compared to the TPI which needs to have aftermarket components to make any real power.

You don't want a TPI. This isn't a truck, it's a little light sports car.

Stock, it was really disappointing. The torque of just driving around on a daily basis made it feel like a rocket ship, but when I got on it, it just felt like it pooed on itself. I saw it as an illusion of speed where when I tried to grasp it it laughed at me.

The 93 LT1 is the least desireable year' date=' but way better than TPI.

Tim[/quote']

Hey I resent that! :wink: I know that the 93' is the most undesirable year but I didnt do my homework before I bought mine. Someday I will convert over to the 94'-95' so that I can program my own car when I need to! :D However right now its not in the budget.

Oh and get the 95' LT1....its the most desirable!

Guy

Guest JdoubleZ

95 is the most desirable because it comes with the vented opti, and its still OBDI so its cheaper. But the block, heads and intake shouldnt matter should it? Just get a 95 comp wiring harness and a vented opti, and mount it to any LT1.

95 is the most desirable because it comes with the vented opti, and its still OBDI so its cheaper. But the block, heads and intake shouldnt matter should it? Just get a 95 comp wiring harness and a vented opti, and mount it to any LT1.

You will also need the timing cover for the 95....

Thanks for all the responce so far guys. As far as a TPI motor was concerned I was going to get high flow runners from Street & Performance, and a larger throttle body, and my plan was to use the Megasquirt system to control it. And I am not quite as worried about the high revs since its probably going to be a automatic and definately a daily driver that will see alot of hwy miles. But definately keep the thoughts coming this is a big help

And also as far as astetic go TPI wins hands down :)

Do not do not do not do not do not get a bigger throttle body. It's hell even with the stock one trying to control the torque at low speeds. A bigger one would be even more touchy off the line...trust me on this, you do not want that!

Just get the Holley Stealth Ram. I'll take its looks and performance over the TPI anyday. I hope to replace my fully ported & siamesed plenum, slp runners, and siamesed base with that piece of art. :)

Hey DJ, When you sell the SLP's and upper/lower, keep me in mind. Pretty happy with my stock setup, but those SLP's are beautiful.

FastZdriver, i also have a soft spot for the looks of the TPI

<<<<--------------- :D:D:D

Hey Guys,

I have most of a spare 97 LT1 that I pulled from my TA... You say 95 is the "most desireable" becasue of the vented opti. When you say "vented " you are talking about the small hole with the vacuum line running to the emmisions system to keep the opti dry right?... I may be incorrect as to where that vent goes, but I have a little problem with the vented opti being the "most desireable"... When your water pump goes a vented opti pretty much gets hosed with anti-freeze... Least it did on my 97... I was pissed off about having to replace a 150 dollar water pump only to discover that I had to do the same to a 250 dollar opti!!! And talk about a NOT SO FUN job that was!.... Not to mention I decided to replace the plugs and wires at the same time... that "tune up" cost me like 600 bones and 8 hours of time... And I had it on a lift too...

Anyway since I have a bunch of 97 LT1 parts it looks like that is what is going into my 2nd V8 Swap.....

Myron

I picked up 44hp over stock plenum/base + stock SLP runners when I siamesed the runners and base, but I doubt my base will fit your setup. I redrilled the holes to fit the older style heads, and I had to plane the bottom of it to get a tighter fit against my heads (also planed). It may go on a stock one with a gasket+rtv but I sure wouldn't sell the one you have for it. I may toss it in for free for whoever takes the runners and ask for something back should they decide to use it and find it fits.

DJ,

yea keep me in mind. Mine has older style heads. Previously '86 iron and now L98. My '86 intake is stock, just smoothed a little. i imagine i could get yours to work on my engine somehow.

Actually, long term i'll make a low revving 355 at home in my Z and put a 383 w/ TPI in my 4200 lb truck. i won't turn the truck past 4k and the Z not much past 5k so tpi's are fine w/ me. my stock intake/computer on the truck and your setup/SDS on the Z would make me very :-D:-D:-D

Just get w/ me if/when you decide to sell and i'll see how my cash is at the time (currently saving pennies for the SDS group buy).

thanks

Just get the Holley Stealth Ram. I'll take its looks and performance over the TPI anyday. I hope to replace my fully ported & siamesed plenum, slp runners, and siamesed base with that piece of art.

Would you just shut up. I had gotten the HSR out of my mind, and you had to bring it up again. You're right, it is a beauty, and functional too, kind of like Tyra Banks. Makes you want it even though you couldn't justify it (the cost) to yourself.

Someday I will convert over to the 94'-95' so that I can program my own car when I need to! :D

Oh and get the 95' LT1....its the most desirable!

Guy

I believe Tunercat can support the 93' PCM so you can burn your own chips for it. They also support a module that replaces your prom all together and allows for on the fly tuning -something not possible with the later LT1's. 93' Is strictly a speed density system however.

Its is also easy enough to convert a 96-97' to OBD1 incase you find a good deal on one.

-Jason