HybridZ

R230 Axle assembly: a pictoral review

Tim240z

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.54 from the Q45, and from what others have posted, 4.11 from Z-TT

It's a 4.08, but I don't think anyone can tell the difference when driving ;)

Just as a matter of FYI...the two complete axles weighed 37lbs for shipping purposes. Take maybe 1.5 to 2 lbs off for the packaging materials (box and extra cardboard for packaging integrity).

Tim

Z-Dreamer wrote:

"So, are the stub axles the only weak link left?"

I would have to say yes. I know that there's been very few stub axle failures ever discussed in the forum, but it would be nice if a stonger stub axle could somehow be adapted into the stock rear housing. Its been mentioned that Jim Biondo (past list member?) converted some Corvette stub axles to work but Pete Paraska has been unable to find any documentation on this swap. Has anyone else ever ventured into this little known area of adapting different axles, other than the 27 spline (I think)280Z ones?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering.... Are both ends of the new CV axle able to change length? I ask this question because the old outer was fixed in length and the old inner could telescope to compensate for changes in length. If both ends of the new CV axle are free to telescope you may have a problem. You will have added an additional degree of freedom to the axle without adding an additional constraint. This will cause the position of the axle to be indeterminate, and may lead to vibration.

I cannot address 74_5.0L_Z's concern, but I know that on the ZX cv jointed shafts, a spring on one (moveable end) end pushes the shaft against a nylon button in the other joint at the other end of the half-shaft keeping the shaft always positioned inboard. This also povides constant pressure on stub axle as well.

The joints used on German makes use the same type of cage set-up, with no spring at all, but the grooves that the balls ride in are much shorter allowing only about 1/2" of movement on each end.

• 1 month later...

I just finished breaking down my CV shafts from an Infiniti J-30 R-200 VLSD rear end (Pretty sure its an R-200 short nose). Surprisingly, the CV joints look nearly identitcal to the R-230 CV's in Tims pictures. Close enough that it may be possible for the Moser R-230 shafts to work with the J-30 CV's. How many splines do the R-230 shafts have, and what is their OD at the splined section? The J-30 shafts are 27 spline at 1.160" OD on the splines. Here are some pics of the shaft after disassembly:

normal_J-30%20CV%

normal_J-30%20shaft%20end%7E0.jpg

Hopefully someone with the R-230 shafts will chime in.....

I have a lathe at work, I'm pretty sure I could modify the moser shafts to work with these joints. Maybe. The race on the R-230 shaft looks a little different than mine. Mine doesnt have the turned down portion on the internal splines to fully seat on the shaft so the c clip can go on. It appears that the shaft is releived on mine instead.

I think that only applies if it is just surface hardened, where the hardened area is only a few thousandths of an inch thick. I'm pretty sure that CV shafts are hardened all the way through like knife blades, so I should be ok to machine on it as long as I go slowly and use coolant to keep everything cool. As long as it never gets above about 400 F while machining it shouldn't affect the heat treatment.

Mike