HybridZ

R230 Axle assembly: a pictoral review

Tim240z

Tim - The Z32 TT R230 is 3.69 or 3.7 ratio - the Z32 NA R200V is a 4.08. The R200v NA shafts look the same as the J30 shafts. I haven't compared them to a Z32 TT shaft - yet. I just wanted to post the ratio - so someone shopping for a rear-end doesn't get something they don't want.

Cheers - Doug

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wondered into this thread after searching for a while. I guess I just needed to find the "magic phrase" that got me to this write up.

I just got done breaking down some Q45 axles to use with the VLSD diff and Ross adapters. I was quite stumped on disassambly mainly because most of the components within the boot were so COVERED in grease that I could tell what's what. Even after wiping up most of the grease with rags I was still stumped. Thanks for the good write-up. Most of the pics are redX for me but I was able to get through it with just the text alone.

BUMP for anyone else out there getting ready to tackle this project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Z-Dreamer wrote:

"So' date=' are the stub axles the only weak link left?"

I would have to say yes. I know that there's been very few stub axle failures ever discussed in the forum, but it would be nice if a stonger stub axle could somehow be adapted into the stock rear housing. Its been mentioned that Jim Biondo (past list member?) converted some Corvette stub axles to work but Pete Paraska has been unable to find any documentation on this swap. Has anyone else ever ventured into this little known area of adapting different axles, other than the 27 spline (I think)280Z ones?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ[/quote']

Gidday everyone,

Mike, I reckon you hit the nail on the head there. I was trawling the internet searching for solutions to my stub axle problems when I stumbled upon this forum, last night, and I’ve been sleep deprived since ! It looks like you’ve developed the source when it comes to info on beefy Z rear ends, and from my experience, the stub axles are definitely the weak link.

I have a 9 second S12 Gazelle which is a Japan only RSX model with the 2 litre FJ20ET 4 cylinder engine. These cars are kind of neat in that the factory equipped them with a complete Z31 300 ZX rear end, R200 LSD diff, the lot. In fact, the rear end of my car was replaced with a genuine 200ZR rear end after a circuit racing incident, so I’m amongst friends here (I hope). In any case I was very interested in the 27 spline 4340 stub axles produced by modern motorsports, they look a nice upgrade, but I have been down this road before and had a set made up a year or so ago in 2767 tool steel. These were fine for NZ tracks, but definitely aren’t up to a sticky track now I’m back in Australia. The special axles lasted all of 8 x 9 sec passes before both died (when they die, they both die at once). IMHO no 27 spline axle will survive for long in the 9 second zone, no matter what it is made from, and we should be looking at developing a 33 or 35 spline stub axle for these things . I have e-mailed modern motorsports with my ideas on how to make this work, and hopefully between all of us we can solve this last problem and make the rear ends of these things good for 9 and even high 8 second passes (my goal). I hope that we can get something going in this area and I’m more than happy to develop these things on my car if required.

In fact, I’m also interested in the Z31 300ZXT half shafts. I have used a set of these for 30 or 40 x 10 and 9 second passes and they still are hanging in there. They are tough – has anyone broken one yet, and are the 6 bolt R230 half shafts an upgrade (i.e. bigger splines, axles and CVs ??). Are the Z32 300 ZXTT stub axles bigger again and can they be retrofitted into a Z31 ?

The R200 is still hanging in there but I am interested in the R230 information, has anyone broken a R200 yet and if so, do they collapse the pinion spacer or go somewhere else ?

Thanks guys

Ben

PS, I met Don Manzo a few years ago at Infineon raceway (NHRA import series), great to see you on this forum mate !

• 2 months later...

Just to add a note: Be sure to pay attention to Tim's note in Step 7. about cage orientation. If you get the cage reversed (easy to do, and you may be tempted to do it on purpose to adjust the axle length) , your axle will be too short and major doo-doo will result. I know this for a fact.

Tim ...is there anything on a Z you have not tackled for an improvement?

Hmmm....I still have stock steering rack, stock glass.......I think that's about it :icon52::-D

• 6 months later...

Just wanting to let those who are interested in bulletproof stub axles know that modern motorsports has developed a 40 spline stub axle to suit Z31 turbo, with a 5 x 114.3 mm pcd on the flange and a fine 40 spline axle which is much stronger than 280 Z or even Z31 turbo stubs. I have tested these in a manual car and thay are fine for high 9 second passes with 60 fts in the 1.42 zone. I'm not sure how they translate to 280 Z or earlier models, but the basic design of the stub is virtually identical, so I'm sure if you provide the bearing numbers and other relevant dimensions Ross at modern motorsports can help you out.

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/default.php

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nwcubsman
These will be AWESOME if I can ever get some companion flanges for a 280Z to use with them! :shock:

Hint Hint.... Anyof you guys have extras in the larger 27 spline??? Anyone need any of the earlier' date=' smaller R180 Type???

Mike[/quote']

Mike,

Try Kim Blough at Idaho Z Car. I think he has them on the shelf. At least he did a month ago.

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest marinate

Anyone going to the R230 or Q45 that will no longer be using their R200 3.7LSD give me a shout. That is if you want to get rid of it. I will only have modest horsepower - about 275 and don't need the plumpest pumkin.

• 2 months later...