• 4 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny thing is that i have a 1996 300ZX TT diff here and its 5 bolt output on the lsd not 6 ? can the same thing be done but with the 5 bolt axels , meaning 4 300zx axels ?

Funny thing is that i have a 1996 300ZX TT diff here and its 5 bolt output on the lsd not 6 ? can the same thing be done but with the 5 bolt axels , meaning 4 300zx axels ?

Your diff could be from an NA 300ZX. Those have short nose R200s with 5 bolt flanges (ebay pic below):

http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9e/d7/daec_1.JPG

Here's a pic of the Z32TT R230 (speeder's pic below):

http://rick.thebowersplace.com/pix/230Setup.JPG

EvilC, thanks for covering for me.....

As for the front mount, I made one that bolted to the holes in the tunnel that originally held the old safety strap for the R180. So basically 2 plates that bolt to the tunnel, then a cradle of tubing that bolts to the differential front ears.....simple really. I can find some photos if you need.....

Tim

• 4 months later...
EvilC, thanks for covering for me.....

As for the front mount, I made one that bolted to the holes in the tunnel that originally held the old safety strap for the R180. So basically 2 plates that bolt to the tunnel, then a cradle of tubing that bolts to the differential front ears.....simple really. I can find some photos if you need.....

Tim

Please do.....

Whats the best source for axles? Speedway? 12.437 ds &12.937ps? Will these lengths work w/ Ross's/ MM CF adp.?

Any other source for the CF adpter? Is there an aftermarket R230 thats fully locked? maybe clutch type? not VLSD? how can i tell when my VLSD is worn out? Anyone have 4.08 or 4.11 ring and pinion from Z32TT i'm thinking, & want to sell?

• 1 month later...

I hate always being the one to ask the dumb questions; but, how are the machined travel stops supposed to be installed into the CV housings?! I have screwed around for about an hour trying to get ONE into the CV housing. I have it in a vise, with a clamp on the other side and a strip of 1/4" steel across to try to even out the pressure. The steel is bending but the 'cap' isn't going in. WTF? I must be doing something wrong here! Please help!

Thanks Jody! I guess that maybe I should take them to a machine shop. I don't have an Arbor Press [anymore], and unfortunately, I was following the directions [and got ahead of myself] and put the grease packet in already. Doh! Messy!

So, I froze the end stops in the freezer overnight. Put the two 'housings' in the oven at 400 degrees for two hours; and, zip, zilch, nada. They ain't goin' in! Damn!! I called two machine shops in the area, and neither wanted to even look at my parts.....

So, I froze the end stops in the freezer overnight. Put the two 'housings' in the oven at 400 degrees for two hours; and, zip, zilch, nada. They ain't goin' in! Damn!! I called two machine shops in the area, and neither wanted to even look at my parts.....

I recently replaced one of my CV boots and found out that the CV housings are different sizes based on the model year donor vehicle you get them from. Could it be that you have the smaller housings and the end stops won't fit in them?

It's definitely a possibility...? It has been so long since I pulled the Diff. & CVs, I'm not even sure what year they came from. I'm thinking '94 because I pulled six sets, and the latest was '95 [it had a smooth cover on the 'pumpkin'] and the earliest was '93. The kit for the conversion that came from MM didn't really specify... that I recall.

I am calling machine shops in the area to see if any of them want to take this on....so far, 0 for 3 !!

So, to add insult-to-injury, I might have further screwed myself in that I had all of the CVs in a huge crate, and the half dozen or so diffs. on a shelf. As I sold sets off locally, I merely kept a 'set' for myself; and, never bothered to check the mating of the CV to the Output Flange of the Diff. My bolt pattern may not match up now if I miss-matched the CV with the diff...?! CRAP! OR, is it a subtle-enough difference that Nissan didn't change the actual bolt pattern, merely changed the casting of the CV housing...? Let's hope.

I called Machine Shop number SIX, and he's willing to give it a try. I'm waiting for the CV housing to cool enough to handle, then I'll make the forty minute trek to let him have a go at it. Wish me luck, please :~)

The bolt pattern is the same. You will be fine.

My stops are a little different than yours but this may work for you also. If a machine shop will not put you stops on a lathe and turn them down, you can use a bench or angle grinder and make them just small enough to go inside the stock end caps.

The stock end caps will hold the grease in place and once the axels are bolted in place, the stops will work as they are supposed to.