HybridZ

Wankel's in the car now

auxilary

secured, at least. big thanks to my friend rob, and especially jon (jumbo240ez) for making the trek out to help out with welding. Motor's in the car, not as far back as most would expect though. These mounts still need some work, but they are the exact layout of where the motor needs to be, so I can start working around everything else now (turbo, piping, exhaust, etc)

DSCF0003.jpg

Driver side mount

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

passenger side

DSCF0016.jpg

This is how low the oilpan hangs

DSCF0026.jpg

Engine's offset to the passenger side, front shot

DSCF0030.jpg

Some spare space up front

DSCF0002.jpg

3 butterfly throttlebody

All pics here:

http://highrpm.org/af/motorin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

There is an old (forget the name of it) mazda sedan that is supposed to have a 3 rotor in it that is sitting about 30 ft from my Z in the storage. Kinda makes me think dirty thoughts. :)

nic: if it's a mazda cosmo, and it's 98 or newer, then it has a 3 rotor. I find it rather odd that you'd have a newer cosmo complete car just sitting there though. 93-97 had my motor in it, the 2 rotor 13b-re twin turbo, the 98+ has 3 rotor 20b twin turbo. It could be just an older cosmo, imported to the US as a mazda 110, back in the 70s/80s.

Just a heads up, I wouldn't do this again

Hey Aux.,...did you go for the xtra 75 hp and "street port" your 13B ?I've got my 88 13B ragtpop motor on the bench getting ported and new Apex seals..but it's not a T-motor.

My boss will Love to see you doing this swap since he only builds blown rotary's.

Good luck,I know he gets upwards of 400 rwhp :shock: and there are some great looking stainless steel turbo headers on e-bay on rotation bid that he's bought as low as 85 bucks !

You should check it out,it will allow you to use one good turbo instead of the self canibalizing factory twins. :twisted:

later.............Vince

you mean, you're not gonna hack and hew ? cobble it together, just to get it to rio vista ? you have almost 90 days. LOL

you're good with the minute details, i betcha, when you are done with it, it's gonna look better than a factory job.

i'm impressed that you stuck with it and got those mounts figured out ! our last comunique, you sounded so frustrated, thought maybe you had backed off, and were taking a 6 months breather. kudos to you and your fellow fabricaters !

wayne

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
nic: if it's a mazda cosmo...

Ya, it's a cosmo, that's it. Probably a late 70's early 80's. I remember checking on this before and the consensus seemed to be that all cosmos had 3-rotor engines in them.

Curious what reasons you would have for not doing it again? Too much fabbing?

I have been toying with the idea of a rotary again (a rotary was actually what I first wanted in a Z) because of the RPM capabilities. I LOVE high RPMS (as many people here know). :-D

nic:

only 98+ cosmos are 3 rotor. 93-97 (my engine) is a 2 rotor. The 70s/80s cosmo isn't turbo, so, not worth it.

vintage:

no, it's not ported. The 13b-re has bigger intake runners and port openings from factory, so it's like a factory street port, so to speak. The engine's designed to move around a heavy sport coupe that seats 4, not a lightweight sportscar, so they made it have more low end grunt. Hence the smaller turbos too

Guest bastaad525

Does it need to be any further back?? That is really sweet... officially a "front-midship" motored car now, that's what Nissan is calling all their new cars (350z, G35) because the motor is behind the front wheels... supposed to yield really great, neutral handling balance

Guest 9c1cruiser

That is roomy huh. I am new here but just had to comment. Looks like there is plenty of space to be putting a 4-rotor in there! Read the April 2004 issue of Turbo & High-Tech Performance magazine or maybe the article is online turbomagazine.com anyway, Bar B put a four rotor, twin turbo engine into a BMW 3! It is sick. He mated two 13B engines together (26B) and has ended up with estimated 1120 rwkw or 1500 rwhp!!! It's sweet.

You can do some digging on the net for info on the Mazda production 26B N/A used in LeMans racing too.

Just an idea.

Laters.

rufus: i stopped counting after i yanked the stock block out

bastaad: it can go back more, about 6" more to be exact, but that will limit my turbo manifold clearance, turbo positioning (as well as lag, because exhaust manifold will be 6" longer!), and there won't be any weight over the front wheels.